Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 16, 2018, 10:43:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435246 Posts in 37263 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Membership Tech
| |-+ Projects Under Construction
| | |-+ 74 F100
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 74 F100  (Read 27295 times)
Teddyzee
Big Block

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 11:24:19 am »

Looks good!

I went through many handles for my Ranger.... The T5 placed the shifter about 9" rearward like yours. Eventually used a stock Mustang handle, straightened it, and I may have lengthened it slightly, too. And definitely bucket seats!

Great project.

'97Ranger 5.0 HO EFI T-5
'97 Mustang GT
blue04.5
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 02:23:30 pm »

Well Im down to needing to drill the frame for the transmission cross member's new location. Top off fluids, oh and get the drive shaft shortened.

Last night I was able to get the cable finalized with firewall support piece. I made patch panels for the old shifter hole and the hole in the floor board where the clutch linkage used to go and welded them in. I also went through and re-routed wires behind the dash to be sure I have adequate clearance for the cable quadrant.

I found this gem while behind the dash, nice, lol

I am thinking I may salvage the original shifter and adapt it to the new transmission, stealthy. Be able to retain the factory shift nob.

1974 f100, 347
blue04.5
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 10:42:32 pm »

Well, I believe for the time being the clutch cable is adjusted and finalized until I actually fire it up and take it for a test drive. I have the transmission cross member bolted in its new location.

On to the carpet that has been waiting. I took the selective approach to sound deadening, Ive used this method with great results on a previous truck.

Lets stuff some carpet in there

I knew I had those weights for some reason

Nice little trim ring was included with the carpet kit.

And my hoping paid off. I ordered a carpet kit for an extended cab for this exact reason. I wanted the carpet to come up to the bottom of the rear window, all of which should help act as another sound barrier.

Im not sure but I may just use the plastic push in trees or come up with a metal strip to finish the carpet edge off at the bottom of the window.
I also found those tin snips work great for cutting carpet.

1974 f100, 347
blue04.5
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 07:37:08 pm »

Picked up my drive shaft today. They ended up having to re-tube it. $175 out the door, Im not complaining. If anyone local is wondering I had drive line services in Eugene do it for me.

All buttoned up

Ive been telling the wife how the garage has been a haze of welding and paint fumes, I didn't realize just how awesome it was until I took this picture, that's not snow in the garage. Now I know what my lungs look like Guess I better starting airing it out a little better in there.

1974 f100, 347
blue04.5
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2015, 11:18:41 pm »

Was able to get everything buttoned up. Installed the seat, these pictures are all with the seat slid all the way back.

In reverse

Wife said no buckets for awhile, so a little hillbilly engineering

The clutch seems to need a little more adjustment still, and I think I need to 'clearance' the shifter tower so I can get into first gear.

How tight should I adjust the clutch cable?

1974 f100, 347
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 10:29:11 pm »

Looking good!  I like the look of the original shifter handle.  Or you could check Lokar to see if they have anything that catches you eye.

The clutch adjustment will be easier to get a feel for once you're up and running.  I would start by setting it the closer to the minimum air gap requirement and go from there.

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
blue04.5
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2015, 12:27:04 am »

So I pulled my plugs and they are black and covered with soot.
Smells rich at idle, and apparently so. I am running autolite 3924's gapped at 40.
My carburetor is a QFT VS 680, the primaries are 68 and the secondary jets are 78. The idle air bleeds are 70 and I have the idle mixture screws slightly more that half turn out with a vacuum reading of 16.
I am running the comp cam 284HR.
Im wondering if I need to go to a bigger air bleed, or hotter spark plug, or should I be looking somewhere totally different?

1974 f100, 347
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2015, 06:53:45 am »

I suspect that you have too much of the idle slot exposed.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
blue04.5
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 11:29:05 am »

Thank you. I will check and see.

1974 f100, 347
blue04.5
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2015, 11:52:30 pm »

I replaced all the old front brake set up with new.

I then moved onto investigating the carburetor issue. I pulled it and made sure to set my primaries to "square", reinstalled with the idle mixture screws baselined at 1 1/2 turns out, I couldn't keep the truck idling without giving it gas. I ended up raising the curb idle screw.
There are a few things I need to look into further. My harmonic balancer bolt was loose kinda real loose. I need to make sure it hasn't moved on the crank. All in all I ended up with more questions at the end of the day then I started with. Hmmmmm
I need to nail down the timing again first.
Oh yeah and tomorrow is Monday already, where did the weekend go

1974 f100, 347
blue04.5
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2015, 06:59:00 pm »

I have my base timing at 18 degrees.
My fuel pressure is set to 6.5lbs and I have a vacuum reading of 16in with the idle mix screws back at 1/2 turn out from bottom. I am still rich, should I look at adjusting the secondary plates? I have maybe 20 miles on the plugs and they are already getting dark.
If opening the secondary where should I start, how far open?

Hope everyone is enjoying their extended weekend

1974 f100, 347
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2015, 07:14:06 pm »

I set the primary plates on the bench, and leave them alone. I set idle speed with the secondary plates.

I'd also be tempted to open the carb and clean it really good. You'd be surprised at the junk that I've seen come out of them, even brand new ones.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
blue04.5
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2015, 02:35:42 pm »

ok update.

I set the primary plates as small as it would go. I backed the curb idle screw all the way off the stop and there is less than square showing. I read up and saw you could put the secondary set screw in from the top so that's what I did and I have the idle set to 800-850 with the secondary, only by choice that's where I like it. It is pulling 16in vacuum and the idle mixture screws are still slightly over 1/2 turn out Hmmmmm

Some things I noticed though, it seems to idle cleaner, not so much gas smell and the throttle response is by far crisper. I am just curious why the idle mixture screws are still so far in?

Also Juiced, while I had it off I pulled the bowls and metering blocks off and blew out all the passages as well as the air bleeds on the main body. I pulled the air mixture screws out and blew those passages out as well. The bowls looked nice and clean no sediments in them.

1974 f100, 347
blue04.5
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2015, 11:08:47 am »

Went out for a drive early this morning before everyone and their brother woke up and hit a roadside scale.
Truck weighed 3550 with a full tank. I was hoping I had it down closer to 3000, not much else to take out of it.
Hope to swap out gears before summer ends, and might take it to a show next week.

1974 f100, 347
garsten
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2015, 11:43:54 am »

Went out for a drive early this morning before everyone and their brother woke up and hit a roadside scale.
Truck weighed 3550 with a full tank. I was hoping I had it down closer to 3000, not much else to take out of it.
Hope to swap out gears before summer ends, and might take it to a show next week.

hard to tell from the pics, but i'm gonna guess it's a short bed.  were you in the truck when it was weighed?

my short bed 68 f100 with a bbf weighs about 3650 with no driver.  i don't think they get much lighter until you start replacing steel with fiberglass.

you've done some very nice work, enjoy your truck.

cheers, cluade

81 fairmont, 347, MS3X ECU, Accufab 4-barrel TB, mass-flo efi intake, canfield 195's, CI cam, 42# injectors, powerglide, REF headers, 3 1/2" exhaust, 4.10 gears.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: