Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2019, 04:55:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Director PLEASE!!!!
Add your location information to your personal profile. Thanx!
435293 Posts in 37285 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Forced Induction
| | |-+ Roots & Twin-Screw
| | | |-+ 408 roots cut once weld once
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 408 roots cut once weld once  (Read 7929 times)
wywindsor
Big Block

« on: December 22, 2014, 10:41:22 pm »

So I have a new idea brewing and it's been kinda dead on the forum. I built a 347 with a eaton m112 on it. the lower is a holley ssII and adapter to clear the fuel inj. The bad, no intercooler. So now I'm up to no good and it's cold outside.

My long block will consist of 408w at 10 to 1 comp. maybe more. The heads will be the tfs 192hp from my 347 as bought from Woody with the beehive spring. A custom cam from ?. Nothing to fancy unless we come up with something better in this discussion. I have a 1994 block ready and the rotating assembly can be discussed.

Here is the fun part. I bought a procomp victor rip off efi to cut the center section out and modify for the intercooler and whipple 210. There are a few people on corral who have started this type of project but only one who has a completed there project. Googles pizzona started with the same intake for a 8.2 deck and has not finished that I know of. His intake has the front and rear coolant passages and is casted to the valley. Thye 351w has a gap that I will fill in.

The other guy is Alex Bernal, he has a running 351w. He used a vic.jr. and welded a 6'' square aluminum box in where he machined out the center of the intake. The problem is he jb welded where he couldn't weld all the way. His setup also uses 4 inj. on the inlet side of the supercharger. He makes 580hp with fairly low boost #. I don't care about hp # just looking to run low 10s at  5800' at bandimere. This is a true street car AC. Power steering and cruise control at 3400# with driver thru an aod and 3.73s.

Whipple will send me a mock up supercharger and snout for 500 and will credit it to me when I send it back or apply it to the purchase of the supercharger. My plan is to machine out the upper plenum of the intake and weld a plate on top. I will leave the front and rear coolant cross over passages and machine the inj. bosses, intake bolt holes and cross overs flat. Next is to weld a 3/8'' plate to the top of the intake. I will back drill the bolt hole and inj. holes. This will get to the point I can set the supercharger on the intake and figure out the minimum height  to clear the distributor and offset to line up with the lower pulley. I will need to buy an intercooler for a 4.6 or 5.4  factory supercharged car or call bell intercooler and fab up what I need. bell sells parts or you can choose from what they offer.

Here is where I need help. I know I will need a certain amount of surface area to cool the intake charge. Whipple has cfm and flow number on their site for the 210 series. Next is plenum area needed. I'm sure there is a runner length and plenum volume to maximize efficiently for each combo. I may not be able to achieve this but can always raise the blower or widen the upper plenum for increased open space. I know this may be hard to imagine without a few pics so bare with me as I get started.

Thoughts
mighty mouse
"Prom King Mista Nathan Moonen"
Administrator
Big Block

I'll be the Judge of that

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 11:16:19 pm »

I guess my question is...With all the centrifugal supercharger available... and with turbo charging getting better and cheaper every day... why try and reinvent the wheel?

Don't get me wrong...it's cool what you are doing and is sorta real grass roots hot rodding...but...

1986 Mustang GT Convertible
Suspension and Differential by Team Z Motorsports
9.5 Deck Forged Stroker Shortblock by FordStrokers
Trick Flow High Ports and Super Vic EFI intake by Duane Busch

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 01:02:47 am »

MM your right I could buy your novi and be like all the others out there. It has crossed my mind several times. My car has a blower out of the hood, sometimes looks is just as good as the sleeper. I have had people almost run me off the road looking at the car. My wife drove it to work and had a sheriff follow her there just to ask how fast it was. I just like building shit. I could buy the ls bullshit and be like all the other wanna be's with their stock 8 second internet non proven combos. Just venting. By the way the trans has held up fine.
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 01:05:53 am »

pic

* 001.JPG (4492.52 KB, 5152x3864 - viewed 336 times.)
blue04.5
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 01:39:57 am »

So are you going front mount intercooler with this build?
Do you have any over all picture of the car with the hood shut?

1974 f100, 347
mighty mouse
"Prom King Mista Nathan Moonen"
Administrator
Big Block

I'll be the Judge of that

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 07:28:12 am »

So are you going front mount intercooler with this build?

I don't think that is feasible to do and the reason I said what I did.

If all you want is something sticking out of the hood to get others reactions...build a 5.4 mod motor with a lightning lower intake. Then use an aftermarket big roots. You will have the look and not all the headaches.

Or

A Holley/Weiand 174 roots blower?

1986 Mustang GT Convertible
Suspension and Differential by Team Z Motorsports
9.5 Deck Forged Stroker Shortblock by FordStrokers
Trick Flow High Ports and Super Vic EFI intake by Duane Busch

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 08:22:16 am »

here is a pic of the car now

* 023.JPG (9182.67 KB, 5184x3456 - viewed 438 times.)
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 08:27:35 am »

here is an old one before the suspension change.

* 095.JPG (670.69 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 323 times.)
scienceguy
Big Block

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 10:19:23 am »

There are easier, more efficient ways to do things...  and then there's doing it yourself!  Big props to those guys out there who use more than a credit card to build an engine!  True Hot Rodding!

Good Job!

1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
Pump Gas, Flat Tappet 306
9.88 @ 135.67
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: