Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 16, 2018, 06:50:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435246 Posts in 37263 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Membership Tech
| |-+ DIY'er Tricks of the Trade
| | |-+ Reversible Drill Press
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reversible Drill Press  (Read 21672 times)
BirdMan
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« on: November 08, 2014, 04:36:09 am »

While I was redoing the parts washer I decided to see if I could make my 35 year old Sears  Craftsman drill press go backwards and be able to tap things easier!

I have used it to tap for screw-in studs and a whole lot of other things but I had to loosen the chuch and back out the tap by hand.  On the larger (7/16" and 1/2") stuff I got the tap Started a thread or two before it stalls/belt slips and finishing it by hand, at least it was straight.  On the smaller sizes I could thread all the way up the tap but then had to unchuck and remove by hand, NOW I don't!!

I also installed a foot pedal to stop the spindle, flip the switch and then release the pedal to reverse.

I haven't used it yet on any projects but it may stall and not back out without help.

* Drill Press Controls sm.jpg (146.67 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 353 times.)

* Drill Press Pedal sm.jpg (220.3 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 376 times.)

Son's 412W Build Information;
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,19018.0.html
Son's '64 Falcon Performance Information;
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,25183.0.html
dennis112
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 06:40:54 am »

Since AC motors are not easily reversible, could you give us an idea of what was done wiring-wise?  

Curious.

Dennis

65' Stang, 434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, 11:1, Braswell Carb, Bullet SR Cam, G101A 4-Speed, 4:56 rear, 93 Octane Pump Gas  9.82@138.00
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 08:32:08 am »

Depending on the motor there is a cover plate that will allow access to the wiring. Generally you can switch the wire  terminals 5 and 8. You can buy a 4 way switch and a bell box with cover from home depot. A 4 way crosses the travelers. Take a meter and read the switch to determine switching paths. The switch will read straight through in one position and cross in the other position. X or II , Take the 5 and 8 wires and connect to one side of the switch. Next take two wires back to terminal 5 and 8 from the switch.

BirdMan
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 09:52:59 am »

I believe mine said 4 (red power post) and 5 (smaller angled black post) not power black.  I used a double pole double throw switch (6 lugs).  In the center switch position the motor is stalled/hums and will not run.

Ran four wires out to the switch.  Two reds and two blacks.  On one red wire and one black wire at motor I installed female flat blade connectors and slid them on the male board posts.  On the other black and red wires I installed male flat blades and slid them into the female Wires that I had taken off of the blades on the board AND wrapped black plastic tape around them so they don't contact Anything!

At the switch end I installed round loup ends to install under the screws.  A black and a red that went to the motor board blades went on the two center posts.  The other black and red were installed on same side on the end posts.  I then made a red and a black 2" long jumper wires with ends installing one end of each on same color end post on switch.  The other ends were attached to the other end posts crossed over to opposite color posts.

Lets say center posts were hot so then when switch is moved into the DOWN position (it connects the top two posts inside the switch) it connected red to red and black to black and drill would run in normal rotation.  When switch is moved to the UP position it connects the center black to the red X'd over post and the center red to the black X'd over post.

The switch will not at any time connect the red and black together to burn out anything!  Unless the switch is damaged.

I still use the light switch for the light and the off/on switch to turn it on like normal.  The foot switch is wired into the black power circuit (wire pulled off of the board post and foot switch wires attached to them) and controls the power to motor to run or not.

Neil & Parks have smaller foot operated switches that they use for drilling and deburring holes.  When pedal is pressed the drill press runs and that kind will work also but I have had the large hd switch for years.

Son's 412W Build Information;
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,19018.0.html
Son's '64 Falcon Performance Information;
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,25183.0.html
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: