Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2018, 08:02:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435265 Posts in 37271 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots Camshafts
| | |-+ 369 AFR 220 heads cam question
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 369 AFR 220 heads cam question  (Read 29835 times)
scienceguy
Big Block

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2014, 04:20:29 pm »

How much increase in lash should I try? Right now I'm at .018 intake and .019 exhaust.

You might try around 0.024" - 0.026".  I'd set it cold.  Lash grows on an aluminum headed engine as it heats up.  A small block with aluminum heads grows about 0.006", so I'd set it to around 0.020" COLD, and give it a try.  

This is just a GUESS, as I haven't pushed things like this very far.  You may be able to go further...  I like to set the lash as tight as I can.  Tight makes a lot less noise, as there is a lot less pounding going on.  

Maybe someone will have some personal experience to share...

Good Luck!

1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
Pump Gas, Flat Tappet 306
9.88 @ 135.67
Outlaw Bill
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2014, 05:11:50 pm »

Loosening the lash will tell him what needs to be done. Most solid rollers are in the .022-.024 lash range anyway. Sometimes engine builders run the lash slightly tighter or looser if it picks up power and is still in the safe range.

www.TeamZmotorsports.net

TeamZmotorsports 25.2 outlaw drag radial stock suspension 1991 Mustang
Thank You to the following for their help
TeamZmotorsports
Marcella Manifolds
Schoneck Composite
Ultimate Converter Concepts

"Stupid is as stupid does", "You can't fix stupid"
"Common sense is not common"
btls66coupe
Small Block

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2014, 06:04:12 pm »

I'll give it a try. Yeah with a .006 increase with heat I'm at .012 and .013 cold lash setting. I set them hot lash .018 and .019 then let them cool and checked lash.
 When I get back from drag week I'll order a different cam that'll work a little better.
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2014, 07:15:01 pm »

How much increase in lash should I try? Right now I'm at .018 intake and .019 exhaust.

You might try around 0.024" - 0.026".  I'd set it cold.  Lash grows on an aluminum headed engine as it heats up.  A small block with aluminum heads grows about 0.006", so I'd set it to around 0.020" COLD, and give it a try. 

This is just a GUESS, as I haven't pushed things like this very far.  You may be able to go further...  I like to set the lash as tight as I can.  Tight makes a lot less noise, as there is a lot less pounding going on. 

Maybe someone will have some personal experience to share...

Good Luck!

Suggestion....... do NOT guess. Set them to 0.024" hot.... the same way you did it initially. Keep variables out of the data you want to get in order to decide. My  My 2¢

Remember.... reliability of results depend on the repeatability of the procedures.... don't follow shortcuts.   Naughty

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2014, 07:48:20 pm »

Do not set the lash cold.  That is something you do when you start a solid lifter engine for the first time.  Always set them hot.  Even to the point that I would get the engine back to operating temp if the first bank takes long enough that the engine cools down too much.

I have set my lash cold on a couple occasions to try and find the difference between hot and cold lash on my particular engine.  Every single time the lash has ended up varying too much on different cylinders for me to feel it was close enough.  This is not at all uncommon after talking to several other people.

Playing with the lash can tell you a lot about your cam and what your engine wants.  Just don't go opening the lash some absurd amount, find that it runs better, and think you've fixed the engine.

I've had rockers back off twice during passes at the track turning north of 7,500 rpm.  There was zero evidence of any issue when I removed my heads for some porting.  Threw the valves and springs back on and the head porter said they had a nice valve job when he looked them over.  Opening the valve lash a bit is not going to kill your valve train in one pass.

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2014, 07:52:17 pm »

I also believe there is more to this than a cam.  I think you need to test more with what you have.  Shift point and tune on the carburetor are two that could pay off big.

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2014, 08:10:10 pm »

I also believe there is more to this than a cam.  I think you need to test more with what you have.  Shift point and tune on the carburetor are two that could pay off big.

Ditto, decide if the cam really is too big, and then adjust the carburetor(not just the idle screws).

Don

1991 Mark VII LSC Special Edition, soon to be OBDII and 4R70W, then GTC body kit and 347.
1998 Mountaineer, plans for A4WD and KB 2200 blower later, XP8 parts, paint and a 332.
1973 Ranchero and 72 Sport front end ...will be a 351 Clevor, EFI and 4R70W.
btls66coupe
Small Block

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2014, 12:28:34 am »

Will do. I'll have a lot of time to practice in a week.  I'll work on tuning this think. I did these runs with the Quick Fuel 750 cfm carb. Now I'll put the 950cfm carb and see if that changes anything.
btls66coupe
Small Block

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2014, 12:38:40 am »

I went back to the track today. I had some issues with the transmission not want to go into gear. So I took the transmission out and had it rebuilt. Without doing anything else other than the transmission. Best run so far was a 10.84 at 122 mph 1.49 60 ft. I can't wait to see what it'll do when I switch out the cam.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: