Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 13, 2019, 03:03:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Director PLEASE!!!!
Add your location information to your personal profile. Thanx!
435293 Posts in 37285 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Forced Induction
| | |-+ Turbos
| | | |-+ Dart 342 turbo build help
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dart 342 turbo build help  (Read 63498 times)
oldeguy
Small Block

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 07:48:06 am »

I sent an email to AFR on what head they would recommend for my appication. Here is what the said: "  I would recommend a set of our 195cc Renegade. Your specific combination would be able to harness the power potential of these heads. They flow remarkably well while retaining a relatively small intake runner volume. This increases the velocity of the intake charge resulting in not only a peak horsepower gain but also an increase in bottom end power. If you take the time to compare our heads with our competitors, pay attention to not only the peak flow numbers but also with flow ratings throughout the valve lift.

If you have any further questions, donít hesitate to contact me. I look forward to hearing from you in the future and helping you to place your order."

I'm a little surprised with the 195cc selection?

92 fox notch 302, gt40p heads, e303, holley systmax, pro-M MAF, 42#, 360 gpm pump, Master Power 70mm turbo, 8 psi, Bigazz FMI, Dynamic C4 M2, TCT 3400 convertor, 3.25 spool diff
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 09:58:08 am »

You got your answer from AFR...
Why not go with it?

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
oldeguy
Small Block

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 07:21:42 pm »

You got your answer from AFR...
Why not go with it?

Just returned from the PRI show in Indy. Stopped by the ARF booth and asked the question on a head recommedation for my build. He said the 205cc head. let me tell you the exhaust port opening at the exhaust flange was big! way to big for my current hot side header set up! asked why the factory recommended the 195cc...he said, that the 195 are set up for hydraulic spring, the 205 are for solid's, the 195 are springed for Hydraulic cam and more for street set up.

I'm still on the fence...

92 fox notch 302, gt40p heads, e303, holley systmax, pro-M MAF, 42#, 360 gpm pump, Master Power 70mm turbo, 8 psi, Bigazz FMI, Dynamic C4 M2, TCT 3400 convertor, 3.25 spool diff
mighty mouse
"Prom King Mista Nathan Moonen"
Administrator
Big Block

I'll be the Judge of that

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 10:22:30 pm »

If you already have your turbo hot side, you may want to check fittiment with a raised port head. (Ie - if your hot side was welded up for a standard exhaust port head, you may have issues using a big afr head and the reason I said look for a set of 185s.)...

1986 Mustang GT Convertible
Suspension and Differential by Team Z Motorsports
9.5 Deck Forged Stroker Shortblock by FordStrokers
Trick Flow High Ports and Super Vic EFI intake by Duane Busch

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
oldeguy
Small Block

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 11:34:21 am »

OK...back on my build.

so now what head do I buy? graphed out the AFR 195 vs the 205 11R

I like the TF with the small spring, good valves and woody's comments on the videos and they are a local company. And they really look cool!

the issue is the 11R heads don't have as good of exhaust flow as the 195's. at .200 lift a 12% flow increase, .300 lift on the exhaust it's flowing 21 CFM more air, or about 14% more, then 12% at .400, at .500 the 11R is only down by about 5%. The area under the curve for the 195 is allot greater. So, with a turbo car wanting to pushing 22-24 psi boost, this difference seems significant. I'm I thinking thru this correctly? Is this just a specmanship issue or is it really the case?

My conclusion is the 195 AFR would be a better selection, this is just based on exhaust flows.

attached is the graph I made up.

* AFT vs TF twisted 11r.xlsx (17.16 KB - downloaded 159 times.)

oldeguy
Small Block

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 07:49:26 pm »

I'm really kind of surprised no one has commented on my ARF vs trickflow 11r post! 

do I have leprosy?

mighty mouse
"Prom King Mista Nathan Moonen"
Administrator
Big Block

I'll be the Judge of that

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 08:12:48 pm »

I highly doubt you would make any more power with the afr as opposed to the 11r. 

1986 Mustang GT Convertible
Suspension and Differential by Team Z Motorsports
9.5 Deck Forged Stroker Shortblock by FordStrokers
Trick Flow High Ports and Super Vic EFI intake by Duane Busch

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
oldeguy
Small Block

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 07:34:00 am »

thks MM

347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 09:41:00 am »

lb/$ the AFR have more OTB value.

In my experience/witness, it doesn't take very much for the exhaust side to be improved on TW heads.

I admit, for some odd reason, the new TWs in production have very limited exhaust ports...   could be because the majority of customers bolt on small, aftermarket headers or OE exhaust.

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: