Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2018, 10:00:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435248 Posts in 37264 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Transmissions/Differentials
| | |-+ (T5 options) Hanlon vs Astro vs Promotion vs Gforce
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: (T5 options) Hanlon vs Astro vs Promotion vs Gforce  (Read 7690 times)
slow89
4 Banger

« on: July 16, 2014, 07:34:13 pm »

Car will make about 325ish to the wheels on the motor and around 450 on the juice rev to 6200-6400ish will weigh in without me right around 3200lbs.... Car will be weekend warrior street driven and probably track it 2-3 times a month so straight cut gears are kinda out of the question because i do want to enjoy it while street driving lol.... Of couse i want the strongest possible but do have a budget of around 1500 MAYBEEEEE up to 2k

car is a 89 fox
Jeff351w
Big Block

393 build & new trans in progress

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 01:11:18 am »

Check out their websites.  They offer packages listed by hp ratings.  Check each for their strongest synchronized setup.  It sounds simplistic, but the info is there.

Quote from: mighty mouse

I often have tires with just too much tread or a fuel tank that is just too full. Accept no substitutes!
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 01:41:10 am »

Hanlon and Promotion each use the G-Force gear sets last I checked.  The A5 from Astro Performance uses different gears of the owner's own design.  The A5 gears are supposed to be even thicker an stronger than the G-Force gears.  I believe the A5 stuff was a hair cheaper last time I looked as well.

I would call each and see what they recommend for your use and power level.  Get prices and then sit down and figure out which makes you the most comfortable.

I spent over $2k getting the parts from G-Force to rebuild my T5 with a straight cut faceplated gear set.  The Hanlon video makes rebuilding them a very manageable task.

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
slow89
4 Banger

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 03:36:29 am »

Welcome
Hanlon and Promotion each use the G-Force gear sets last I checked.  The A5 from Astro Performance uses different gears of the owner's own design.  The A5 gears are supposed to be even thicker an stronger than the G-Force gears.  I believe the A5 stuff was a hair cheaper last time I looked as well.

I would call each and see what they recommend for your use and power level.  Get prices and then sit down and figure out which makes you the most comfortable.

I spent over $2k getting the parts from G-Force to rebuild my T5 with a straight cut faceplated gear set.  The Hanlon video makes rebuilding them a very manageable task.

How do u like that faceplate and straight cut gears? Would u use it for a street car? And I know gforce is probably the most common but I've been reading some horror stories about their customer service if anything happens to the Trans.... But on the other hand gforce is the only company that makes an upgraded case
mighty mouse
"Prom King Mista Nathan Moonen"
Administrator
Big Block

I'll be the Judge of that

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 11:22:51 am »

1500?

Sounds like used TKO cash... not new really strong T5 cash.

Have you thought about a Gen 1/2 3550 TKO?

1986 Mustang GT Convertible
Suspension and Differential by Team Z Motorsports
9.5 Deck Forged Stroker Shortblock by FordStrokers
Trick Flow High Ports and Super Vic EFI intake by Duane Busch

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 12:47:35 pm »

How do u like that faceplate and straight cut gears? Would u use it for a street car? And I know gforce is probably the most common but I've been reading some horror stories about their customer service if anything happens to the Trans.... But on the other hand gforce is the only company that makes an upgraded case

I LOVE it at the track.  On the street it takes some practice to get down.  I do street drive my car and am now comfortable doing so with the faceplated gears.  However, the first time out with it was a nightmare.  I would not recommend a faceplated transmission for the street though it can be done successfully. 

The straight cut gears are loud.  They are a bit stronger and a hair more efficient based on my research.  That is why I went with them mixed with the fact my car is a weekend cruiser that I take to the track when I can.  The track is where I get my real enjoyment out of what I've built.  If it were a driver, I would use a synchronized helical cut gear set from either G-Force or Tony at Astro Performance.

I actually got away with using a T5z that I put many miles on and made several 7.1-7.2 second 1/8 mile and 11.3-11.5 second 1/4 mile passes on with slicks.  1.5 second 60 ft times.  Looked great upon teardown.  The key was a soft hitting clutch or "slipper" clutch and lifting off the gas on the shift.  I don't think you will need the G-Force case and I don't currently run one.  Of course it won't hurt if you can swing it. 

Mighty, I believe places like Hanlon and Promotion have different variations of T5's to handle a different range of power levels.  Some use the stock mainshaft which is likely what this application could get away with.  I seem to remember a few being advertised under $2k without a core charge.

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
AutoXCougar
6 Banger

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 01:20:59 pm »

The Hanlon video makes rebuilding them a very manageable task.

Good to know, Im picking up a syncro Gforce T5 friday and was thinking of doing a main case swap.

I lucked out and am getting the tranny barely used, with a clean bill of health ( was checked by a very reputable trans builder at the local track ) for $1500 with a scatter shield and short shifter. its hard to pass on seeing as how it will be a bolt in and go situation.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: