Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 14, 2019, 01:37:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Director PLEASE!!!!
Add your location information to your personal profile. Thanx!
435293 Posts in 37285 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Wiring - Basic and Advanced (Moderator: 347HO)
| | |-+ Wiring an electric water pump. Is it possible to...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wiring an electric water pump. Is it possible to...  (Read 37862 times)
sleepy86coupe
Small Block

« on: June 09, 2014, 12:12:09 pm »

I am plumbing in a Meziere water pump, and I was thinking that I would like to have it run automatically whenever the ignition is on, as well as being able to toggle it on/off in the pits with the engine off.

I'm sure this is a simple thing to do, but I am having a hard time figuring the best way to do it. 

2 triggers to the #85 terminal of a relay? Or would that cause a problem feeding back through the ignition + lead with the ignition off and fan switch on?
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 12:49:49 pm »

Yep....all you need to prevent a feedback when using the bypass switch, would be a blocking 12 vdc diode inline with the ignition switch supplied source.

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
scienceguy
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 01:04:29 pm »

I did something similar with my electric fan, and it didn't require a diode.  May work on yours.

I hooked it up so it would work with the thermo switch, and/or with a toggle.  Allows it to turn on automatically when street driving, or manually at the track to cool the car down between rounds.

I hooked the thermo switch to a relay that turns the fan on, and hooked the toggle to a separate relay that turns the fan on.  They both hook to the hot wire of the fan, but don't affect each other since they go through separate relays.

It works. 

I only have my water pump hooked up via toggle switch.  I just act as my own thermostat and turn it on when the engine starts to get warm.  (no thermostat in the engine, so I can cool it down to ambient at the track between rounds)  I should probably also hook it up to the thermo switch the fan is triggered from in case I forget to switch it on.  lol

Good Luck!

1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
Pump Gas, Flat Tappet 306
9.88 @ 135.67
al2
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 01:28:53 pm »

Mike which electric water pump do you have ?
vristang
Mr. Coffee
Global Moderator
Big Block

What I look like in a tie...

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 09:37:40 am »

As I understand it... the diode is there for circuit protection. 

The fan controller setup I'm working on would work just as well on a water pump. 

- jason
Quote from: Albert Einstein
If we knew what we were doing, we wouldn’t call it research, would we?
Quote from: My Grandma
Find a young one, so you can raise her right.
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 10:35:06 am »

The A.C. works the same way on a car with high speed electric fans controlled by the eec and the A.C. power. When the eec turns the cooling fans on high the diode prevents the A.c. from coming on. On the other hand when the A.c. comes on it turns the cooling fans to high.

There is another way to wire your fans. You will need a switch with one normally open contact and one normally closed contact. When the Switch is turned one way it will run the pump and open the circuit back to the ignition. In the other position it will allow the ignition to turn the pump on.
RunninHorse
Big Block

Órale!

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 09:09:05 am »

I searched the Internet for how to do this, but no luck.  What do you know, here it is on SBFTech.  This site rocks.  

Is there a specific type of diode I should use for this?  Maybe one with a certain amperage rating?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Rob.  Working on my '93 Reef Blue coupe.  Stock internal 302, 80 MAF, 75 TB, Victor 5.0, High Ports, 30# inj., B303, 1.6s, Tremec TKO 3550, Quicktime bell, Fidanza Al flywheel, stage 3 ceramic clutch, & 4.10s.  12.68 @ 111.69
'66 F100 shortbed, 352ci, 3 on the tree - on hold
'65 Coupe rolling chassis - on hold
Parts I'm selling: 
Hardened Push Rods - Trick Flow 6.2" .080 - $60
Misc. Fox Body Interior Pieces
CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 01:45:21 pm »

The A.C. works the same way on a car with high speed electric fans controlled by the eec and the A.C. power. When the eec turns the cooling fans on high the diode prevents the A.c. from coming on. On the other hand when the A.c. comes on it turns the cooling fans to high.

There is another way to wire your fans. You will need a switch with one normally open contact and one normally closed contact. When the Switch is turned one way it will run the pump and open the circuit back to the ignition. In the other position it will allow the ignition to turn the pump on.

Using two relays gives you a back up way to turn it on if one relay dies.

I use the poor late model oil pressure sensor to turn on my headlights and electric fan, for my mail vehicle. The 98-01 Explorers have an oil pressure gauge which only shows two indications, no oil or normal. The sensor is small versus the old style real oil pressure sensor.

It allows current to pass at some pressure point, which works great to turn on anything that you only want on when the engine is running.

Don

1991 Mark VII LSC Special Edition, soon to be OBDII and 4R70W, then GTC body kit and 347.
1998 Mountaineer, plans for A4WD and KB 2200 blower later, XP8 parts, paint and a 332.
1973 Ranchero and 72 Sport front end ...will be a 351 Clevor, EFI and 4R70W.
85_GT
Big Block

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 02:45:13 pm »

I searched the Internet for how to do this, but no luck.  What do you know, here it is on SBFTech.  This site rocks.  

Is there a specific type of diode I should use for this?  Maybe one with a certain amperage rating?

If you go this route, the diode is on the control (coil) line of the relay.  It's in the milliamps.  A 1N4001 would be plenty.

85GT, Dart Windsor Jr, Crane 2030 equiv. Performer 5.0, 75mm TB, 88mm Slot, 34lbs injectors, 1 5/8" shorties, 5spd converted to 4R70W with Baumann controller, 3.25 9"
A9L running A9P bin via Quarterhorse with LC-1
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 04:15:58 pm »

If you decide to add a flyback diode to the fans power leads, I'd step up to a more robust diode. I used the 1N5404 on mine. I also used one across the coil of the relay, although a smaller 1N4001 was probably sufficient.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
RunninHorse
Big Block

Órale!

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 06:26:12 pm »

Thanks guys.  Don't want to wait for something to be shipped.  Went by RadioShack and picked up a couple IN4742A 12 volt Zener Diodes.

I will see how those compare to your recommendations.

I'm Rob.  Working on my '93 Reef Blue coupe.  Stock internal 302, 80 MAF, 75 TB, Victor 5.0, High Ports, 30# inj., B303, 1.6s, Tremec TKO 3550, Quicktime bell, Fidanza Al flywheel, stage 3 ceramic clutch, & 4.10s.  12.68 @ 111.69
Parts I'm selling: 
85_GT
Big Block

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 08:24:15 pm »

Should have gone higher.  It starts to conduct as 12v and you'll be above that. Wire the two in series for now.

85GT, Dart Windsor Jr, Crane 2030 equiv. Performer 5.0, 75mm TB, 88mm Slot, 34lbs injectors, 1 5/8" shorties, 5spd converted to 4R70W with Baumann controller, 3.25 9"
RunninHorse
Big Block

Órale!

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 09:31:19 pm »

Should have gone higher.  It starts to conduct as 12v and you'll be above that. Wire the two in series for now.

I don't know a lot about diodes, but I thought the forward voltage (1.2V for this diode) is when they start to conduct.  Am I missing something?

Parts I'm selling: 
85_GT
Big Block

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 10:49:09 pm »

A little.  A regular diode is like a check valve in plumbing.  Let's the flow only go one way.  The pressure drop across it when flowing is like the forward voltage drop across the diode.  That's that roughly 0.7 volts.  Trying to flow in reverse and it shuts closed.  Until you overpower it at some point - breakdown voltage.  The 1n4001 is forget either 50 or 100 volts.

A zener is the same, except the reverse breakdown is controlled to specific voltages.  Like a check valve but with a popoff valve.  Using that 12V zener means it will flow in the opposite direction then what you want when it's gets over 12volts.  On battery only, no alt running, you're very close depending on you battery.  So you might start backfeeding the ignition switch circuit with the difference between the two.  Say a volt or less.  No big deal but if switch ignition load is big enough, you will blow that zener because it can't handle those currents.

How many watts is it?  Watts divided by 12v is the most current it can handle.  A 1 watt would be safe to say 80 mA.

RunninHorse
Big Block

Órale!

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 12:36:32 am »

A little.  A regular diode is like a check valve in plumbing.  Let's the flow only go one way.  The pressure drop across it when flowing is like the forward voltage drop across the diode.  That's that roughly 0.7 volts.  Trying to flow in reverse and it shuts closed.  Until you overpower it at some point - breakdown voltage.  The 1n4001 is forget either 50 or 100 volts.

A zener is the same, except the reverse breakdown is controlled to specific voltages.  Like a check valve but with a popoff valve.  Using that 12V zener means it will flow in the opposite direction then what you want when it's gets over 12volts.  On battery only, no alt running, you're very close depending on you battery.  So you might start backfeeding the ignition switch circuit with the difference between the two.  Say a volt or less.  No big deal but if switch ignition load is big enough, you will blow that zener because it can't handle those currents.

How many watts is it?  Watts divided by 12v is the most current it can handle.  A 1 watt would be safe to say 80 mA.

Thank you, that is a lot of helpful information.

RadioShack only had one 12 volt diode and I thought that is what I needed.  I bought four, so if 2 is better than 1, is 4 better than 2?  Cheesy

It is a 1W.  Here are the few specs that are on the package.

Parts I'm selling: 
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: