Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 16, 2018, 09:59:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435277 Posts in 37275 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Joel 5.0's Electronic Engine Management
| | |-+ Aftermarket Tuners - Generally
| | | |-+ Dyno tune and SCT chip, worth it?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dyno tune and SCT chip, worth it?  (Read 9581 times)
thunderjet302
Big Block

« on: April 30, 2014, 02:28:31 pm »

The Combo in my Thunderbird (mods in signature) is pretty much set. I'm probably going to swap in a ported GT40 lower but that's it. I'm running a stock A9P and the only "tuning" I've done is to run a calibrated MAF (for the 24lb injectors) and bump the distributor from the stock 10* BTDC timing to 16-18* BTDC timing (depends on how it runs best at the track). The car starts and runs fine and doesn't have any driveability issues. I'm wondering if a dyno tune and SCT (or other) chip would pick up any power/driveability over the stock A9P tune? I just don't want to spend several hundred dollars and not see any real gain that's all.   

1988 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp Magnum 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 80mm PMAS slot MAF, 30lb injectors, FMS stainless shorties, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, subframes.
2011 Focus SE, 2012 Mustang 3.7, 2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6
David Claflin
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 07:19:27 pm »

Paying someone else to tune it? Not really, doing it yourself via quarterhorse and doing it yourself is worth it. Might pick up a little mileagewise and gain some power.

1990 Red LX, 306, 80MM, ported gt40's, ported explorer upper accufab longtubes, 3" exhaust, 4.30's, 336/331
1985 LTD LX 347, 205 11R's, TFS-R, 90MMTB, MAC 1 3/4" longtubes, 4R70W, mach 1 brakes
1988 GT long term project
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 07:34:10 pm »

Here is my opinion. I bought a moates and hired help from the net.  This was a steep learning curve but mostly my fault. The car runs good and I have full control. My wife's 2001 I hire a tuner to tune it on a dyno. I'm far from impressed on the out come. The car starts like shit after warm up. Idle's rough and runs fair for a conservative tune. I paid 625 for this shit tune and the tuner said it was faulty injectors. I have since sent the inj. in and the out come is the tuner sucks. I also drove to Denver which is 300 miles from me. Do it yourself.
thunderjet302
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 08:23:25 pm »

I've thought about quarter horse but I've never used tuning software. How steep of a learning curve does it have? IE would someone like me who's never used tuning software before be able to use it successfully?

1988 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp Magnum 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 80mm PMAS slot MAF, 30lb injectors, FMS stainless shorties, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, subframes.
RunninHorse
Big Block

Órale!

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 11:16:57 pm »

QH and BE are definitely intimidating at first, but for both there is good support from the designers.  There are also helpful folks and information around here and other sites.

I saw the choice as either pay more for dyno sessions and a good tuner to do a base tune quickly, or save money doing it myself, taking longer, but also having the hardware to keep tuning as it changes down the road.

I still need to get my wide band installed before I can get deep into tuning mine.

I'm Rob.  Working on my '93 Reef Blue coupe.  Stock internal 302, 80 MAF, 75 TB, Victor 5.0, High Ports, 30# inj., B303, 1.6s, Tremec TKO 3550, Quicktime bell, Fidanza Al flywheel, stage 3 ceramic clutch, & 4.10s.  12.68 @ 111.69
'66 F100 shortbed, 352ci, 3 on the tree - on hold
'65 Coupe rolling chassis - on hold
Parts I'm selling: 
Hardened Push Rods - Trick Flow 6.2" .080 - $60
Misc. Fox Body Interior Pieces
rob342
Adv_SBFTechie
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 01:57:37 pm »

I've thought about quarter horse but I've never used tuning software. How steep of a learning curve does it have? IE would someone like me who's never used tuning software before be able to use it successfully?

i'm slowly getting the hang of it. if you were to buy it, I would at least be able to come show you how and where to adjust it so the MAF and fuel were accurate. once you get that, then you can mess with making it faster or more economical. i'm excellent at explaining things like this to people and i'd at least be able to help you pick up the basics and get you whatever level i'm at.

you'd need the QH, binary editor and EA, and a wideband. the longer you wait the more help i'll be  Whistling

white 92GT, with a black interior, pony rims, 5 speed with a 3.73 gear. came with a gear, exhaust, and a powerdyne. nice little cruiser, i didn't change much yet.

have tw170's, systemax II, 75mm accufab, anderson n41, t5z, ford racing 23lb billet flywheel, and a quarterhorse sitting here. cam may change
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 06:15:34 pm »

Paying someone else to tune it? Not really, doing it yourself via quarterhorse and doing it yourself is worth it. Might pick up a little mileagewise and gain some power.
What He Said.... and old dogs can still learn new tricks.... , I know.... LOL

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
thunderjet302
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 10:09:28 pm »

i'm slowly getting the hang of it. if you were to buy it, I would at least be able to come show you how and where to adjust it so the MAF and fuel were accurate. once you get that, then you can mess with making it faster or more economical. i'm excellent at explaining things like this to people and i'd at least be able to help you pick up the basics and get you whatever level i'm at.

you'd need the QH, binary editor and EA, and a wideband. the longer you wait the more help i'll be  Whistling

I might take you up on the offer. I still haven't bought a QH as honestly the darn car runs so well without a tune. I still plan on buying a QH as there has to be a couple hp hiding in the combo. I'd rather have more power and damn the fuel economy  Grin

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: