Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2018, 02:51:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
434547 Posts in 37193 Topics by 9529 Members
Latest Member: notchbackjoe
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Joel 5.0's Electronic Engine Management
| | |-+ EEC_IV Troubleshooting Procedures
| | | |-+ Please verify what I think is wrong
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please verify what I think is wrong  (Read 4240 times)
eldest928
4 Banger

« on: April 04, 2014, 11:39:02 am »

I have been having some drivability issues and decided to look to see if there were any codes. What I found were codes 15,85 and 96 in the first test and the second koeo test was just code 96. I found some great diag procedures on this site but I am not very good when it comes to electrical. I hate to admit it, but I had to watch youtube to understand how a voltmeter worked. Anyway. I get the code 85 since I run a turbo set up and some of the emissions including the canister solenoid is gone. The 96 is the one I have questions on. I found pin 19. I hooked up the multimeter and set to dc volts. I grounded the black probe to the bracing by the pcm and I touched the red to the pin/wire at the pcm. It came back with 12 volts. According to the diag it says I need to replace the pcm. is this correct? I just now realize there is a test to perform for the code 15. for some reason I thought it meant something else, but Im seeing at the end of the flow chart the 15 could also mean to replace the pcm. Can anyone help?

91 LX Convertible, On3 Turbo, BBK Frame Connectors, Lakewood Lift Bars, BBK Upper Control Arms, Ford Racing 3.73 gears, Quarterhorse, Edelbrock Performer Heads, Manley Forged pistons, Eagle rods, Eagle crank
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 12:19:20 pm »

Suggestion before doing anything..... clear codes by disconnecting the battery (-) terminal for 10 minutes..... then clear codes by starting a KOEO self-test and as soon as it starts flashing codes, disconnect the STI jumper wire. Now rerun a KOEO SELF TEST And LUK what shows up.

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
eldest928
4 Banger

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 02:47:00 pm »

ok, wll hopefully I am doing this right. I set it up for the KOEO test and pulled the sti wire when the codes were flashing. I shut off the key, hooked the sti wire back up and started all over. It runs 2 tests correct? the first test gave me codes 15,85 and 96 but passed the next series of codes. Does this tell you anything?

91 LX Convertible, On3 Turbo, BBK Frame Connectors, Lakewood Lift Bars, BBK Upper Control Arms, Ford Racing 3.73 gears, Quarterhorse, Edelbrock Performer Heads, Manley Forged pistons, Eagle rods, Eagle crank
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 07:57:37 pm »

Code 15, if you do not have a chip installed, is a flake some times..... specially if it passes the next (Continuous Memory)... set of codes. Rerun the KOEO and LUK.

ACRONYMS:

The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
eldest928
4 Banger

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 10:11:16 pm »

A little more background...I recently hooked up with an awesome tuner from Ohio. Im trying to work out these bugs before I start messing around with his tune. I have a quarterhorse chip here and the binary editor software with his initial tune ready to go, but first I need the car back to where it was. I reran the koeo test and the same 3 codes came back but it passed the second series again. I do have a chip installed which this guy said can cause the code 15 to trigger but the 96 could be a problem. He suggested I remove the chip, clear the codes and rerun. Any thoughts? I am going to do that now...I figure it cant hurt and maybe tell me something. Though, if I have 12v at the 19 pin, wouldn't that signify  replacing the computer anyway?

liljoe07
"Gentleman Joe"
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

Feed your MILD side

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 10:20:33 am »

What year is the car? Mass air conversion?

89 Coupe:
347- Canfield 195's, Holley Systemax II, Jones Cam, 3" Exhaust, 3" Spintechs, QuarterHorse, BE/EA

Well since you friggin disagree with every damn suggestion, just rebuild the piece of shit.
eldest928
4 Banger

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 11:14:45 pm »

Its a 91, it does have mass air. I think I am ok with this issue. code 85 has to do with the purge solenoid which has been removed. The code 15 Im told can be caused by the chip? I don't know if this is true but maybe someone can answer me this. The check eng light is NOT on, but these codes are there. Are these codes effecting anything? I should probably start a new thread but maybe someone knows the answer to this one. This engine will run for hours nice and cool. As soon as I start to boost, it will run hot and Im talkimg 230-250 hot. I just put head gaskets on and this symptom has been there since the first test drive. Of course new sensors, cap tstat and no external leaks. I did a block test with the blue fluid and it turned green...not yellow. No milky oil, no funky plugs, nothing out the tail pipe. This is the same radiator that was in the car for the past 6 months with no issues. Its a new radiator. Any thoughts?

Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 12:19:53 am »

Chip present?.... code 15 is normal and so could be 96. Suggestion, do not over-think a problem that you may not have. Remove the chip, clear codes both ways, and rerun the KOEO self test. LUK

ACRONYMS:

eldest928
4 Banger

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 11:04:35 am »

When I remove the chip and run the koeo test I get a boat load of codes coming through. I didn't write them down, but if you would like to know them I can go back and rerun the test. A friend has the same computer in his car and so I borrowed it. When I use his the code 96 goes away and I get a pass on the second test of the koeo procedure. I am still getting code 15 and 85. I don't think at this point I am too concerned. Im more  concerned with the wanting to run hot and almost over heat when in boost. To me that would indicate a bad head gasket, but IDK...Anyone have any ideas?

Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 03:20:48 pm »

FUBAR ECM for shure.  I'm sorry

Regarding the overheating under boost..... have you checked the coolant system for signs of a combustion leak? = http://blockchek.com/instructions.htm

ACRONYMS:

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: