Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2018, 11:58:03 am

Login with username, password and session length
435277 Posts in 37275 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Transmissions/Differentials
| | |-+ Automatic Transmissions
| | | |-+ Wrong flexplate, what did i damage?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wrong flexplate, what did i damage?  (Read 3074 times)
smith772
6 Banger

« on: March 24, 2014, 06:23:19 pm »

I mounted a C4 pan fill trans to my 331 using the wrong flexplate.  They sold me a C6 flexplate by mistake and not knowing any better I put it in.  Against my better judgement I had to suck it in with the bottom bolts to what looked like 1/8" at the bottom (long story, wasn't thinking straight). If you measure the difference between the C4 and C6 flex plates it is 3/16" minus the 1/8" allowable space between the flexplate and TC. That leaves 1/16" deficiency.  Once I saw I could not push the TC back any once mounted, I pulled it out and realized I had the wrong flexplate.  I have since mounted and ran the tans on a short run but am terrified that I might have messed up the TC somehow.  The pump was my original concern but my line pressure is great now I am concerned about the torque converter and don't want to put metal in my newly rebuilt trans.  In theory, if the TC was fully seated and the pump survived should I be concerned about the TC? Would'nt the pump break before the TC?  Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post.
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 07:24:10 pm »

When I bought my car, it had a bad trans with a similar situation. The previous owner didn't run a block plate. The only damage was a busted pump, converter was fine.

Since yours seems to be good, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
smith772
6 Banger

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 11:51:21 am »

Thanks for the encouraging words.  I felt like I would have probably trashed the pump before the TC. The reason I am asking all these questions is I am having trouble with it down shifting which is probably governor or valve body related so that doesn't scare me much. The real problem is that it is lugging down once I put it in gear.  Idles at about 850 rpm in N or P and all is good, once I put it in D,R,1, or 2 it lugs down to 400-500 rpm and wants to die.  Just started doing this after the second test drive.  All looks good on the motor side and was told if the sprag in the TC wants to seize up it will do this.  So that's what made me nervous.  Didn't know if it is possible to mess up the sprag with a mis-stab or a problem like had the flexplate and drawing the tranny in with the bolts might have tore up the sprag. But again, it should have tore the pump gear up long before the sprag and line pressure is fine so punp should be good right?
68mustang405
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 07:55:27 pm »

I think you're supposed to set base idle with it in drive. So it could be that you just have your idle too low?

68 Mustang 310 twisted wedge 170, tfs1, weiand stealth, 1.6 rr t5 3.55s with a locker, a/c and all the creature comforts.

On a serious note.. wagon made 3000hp on the dyno
smith772
6 Banger

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 10:38:56 pm »

Started it today to check it out and with a 1800 stall hughes converter it will only flash to 800 rpm. Think I have a converter problem.  Also, it idled fine in gear before I went drive it to test out the new trans.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: