Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2018, 11:02:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
435268 Posts in 37272 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Membership Tech
| |-+ DIY'er Tricks of the Trade
| | |-+ Degreeing in a cam
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Degreeing in a cam  (Read 7406 times)
Ernie
4 Banger

« on: January 22, 2014, 02:02:34 pm »

I just read an article about degreeing camshafts.In the new HotRod mag. it states that you should degree your cam to manufacturer specs.,check compression,advance cam recheck compression,retard cam recheck compression and then go to where you get the highest compression reading.Then continue to where compression starts to fall off , then back up to highest reading.Makes sense I guess,but all that cranking on a new motor,of course you only need one set of valves setup w/rockers etc..Isn't this going to wipe out the prelube?Should you disassemble when finished,relube mains and rods? What about the rings etc.? Any thoughts on this procedure?

68 mustang 347" 4 speed w/3.89 gears
You're only going fast enough if you can scare the hell out of yourself !
tarafied1
2stroke

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 07:00:27 am »

I read that article too. I like the idea.
I haven't done that yet but I've put a lot of engines together. I think as long as you have oil in the crankcase and the oil pump is working the engine will not be dry. The prelube i have used is almost like a grease so i don't think cranking it over a few extra times will wipe it off.
Good question though. Probably next engine i will use this method and pull a main cap too see what it looks like. I have a buddy with an engine break in stand so it will be easier than if it were in a car. I have changed oil pumps in a couple cars and it is possible on some Fords to get the oil pan off with the engine still in the car but its not fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Married to Tara, that makes me the TARA-fied one!
dennis112
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 07:42:07 am »

Degreeing the cam that way sounds interesting if you have a lot of time, but I would think that the recommendation that come with a good custom cam would be close.  Mark at Bullet told me that you can also change the cam a couple of degrees to tune for the track you intend to run on since moving the cam one way increases low end torque OR you can build up the top end by going the opposite.

IMHO, you should be more concerned about piston-to-valve clearance.  It changes when the cam is dialed in differently and even a couple degree change can create disastrous consequences when the engine is turned over.  Its a common procedure to either advance or retard the cam slightly to work around potential interference issues. 

Dennis

65' Stang, 434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, 11:1, Braswell Carb, Bullet SR Cam, G101A 4-Speed, 4:56 rear, 93 Octane Pump Gas  9.82@138.00
Ernie
4 Banger

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 07:56:04 am »

I failed to mention that they said you should check valve clearance also.Anyway,I'd like to see dyno results performed that give the results of the change.Curious to how much of a gain,or if the power just comes in sooner or later.Maybe a little of both?

68 mustang 347" 4 speed w/3.89 gears
You're only going fast enough if you can scare the hell out of yourself !
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 09:05:56 am »

That is a very old school method to "degree a camshaft profile" based on initial cranking compression pressure however, it does not automatically mean it will make the most power, or as Austin Powers would say..... "behave" as expected/intended.

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: