Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2018, 06:54:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435277 Posts in 37275 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots Other Ford Engines
| | |-+ New 91 gt, want more power, where do i start?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New 91 gt, want more power, where do i start?  (Read 40365 times)
91GT
2stroke

« on: June 26, 2012, 08:30:58 pm »

Just bought a 91 gt convertible and wondering where to start to get it faster. This is my second mustang. i'm 40 years old now and want to make this a long term project, both body and motor. It's an automatic and is bone stock with 107,000 miles. It has new exhaust but it's still got the cats and stock mufflers. Thought about the H pipe and flowmasters as a starting point but maybe a cold air intake system is the place to start since the exhaust is new. I'm married with kids so money is always tight. Just hoping for some ideas as to where to start making a little more power without spending too much money. It was hard enough getting the wife to let me spend 3 grand on the car. 
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 08:48:15 pm »

Please add your location.

If emmisions in your area not to  strick start there. Get rid of the cats. any haeder is better then stock. And all the egr crap can go. If these are not an option shed some weight it's cheap. you can start with all the unnesscery sound padding.

Welcome to sbf   Ray
91GT
2stroke

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:01:30 pm »

I'm in Michigan so emission stuff is not an issue.  It's new exhaust from the headers on back, (previous owner did this), so i hate to rip it off but if thats the way to start then i guess i will. What about just puting the H-pipe on and using the stock exhaust from there back since thats all new. It should bolt right up, i think? I do love the sound of flowmasters though. I have been hearing that magnaflow is the new way to go instead of flowmasters but not sure.
Outlaw Bill
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 09:13:33 pm »

Yes the h-pipe will pickup some power.

The Magnaflow muffler(straight thru) is the best choice, Flowmasters reduce power.

AOD cars need a gear really bad, 3.73 is the best all round choice.

Torque converter is next, a good 2500 stall will do for a true daily driver.

Shift kit or valve body, sorry I have no idea what is the best currently.

If you use premium fuel, put the base timing at 12-16 deg BTDC.

Remove the air silencer.

Find a good used K&N panel filter

180 deg thermostat

www.TeamZmotorsports.net

TeamZmotorsports 25.2 outlaw drag radial stock suspension 1991 Mustang
Thank You to the following for their help
TeamZmotorsports
Marcella Manifolds
Schoneck Composite
Ultimate Converter Concepts

"Stupid is as stupid does", "You can't fix stupid"
"Common sense is not common"
91GT
2stroke

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 10:00:03 pm »

Thanks , Bill. I guess thats where i will start. Get rid of the air silencer and a cooler thermostat. Cheap..... thats what i like.
McMustang5.0
"McLovin"
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 01:42:36 am »

Get some explorer GT40P heads from a junk yard, they are like $70 with core charge here, and bolt them on. Like bill said AODs need gears bad, so id do that first, my AOD ran at 2300rpm in OD at 70mph with 4.11s. Get rid of the smog junk too.

91 LX 5.0... Windsor Jr heads, Novi 1000, Bullet cam and Full Team Z suspension on coilovers
93 GT... 359 Windsor, Novi 2000, Bullet cam, AFR 205s and a TFS Box R
91GT
2stroke

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 09:51:46 am »

What about headers? The stock ones look like they barely breathe at all.
colgestu302
2stroke

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 04:06:17 pm »

SO, It doesn't take long before the mod bug bites, and becasue someone already said "p heads" (the cylinder heads off of a ford Explorer 5.0) Here is what happened when I did a "p head" swap on my 94 gt..

I picked up a set of reconditioned p heads on craigslist for $150, I also purchased a edelbrock performer intake also $150 on craigslist (had a crack on one of mounting ears, had a local shop weld it for $40) The P head, has a strait spark plug, placing it closer to the center of the combution chamber. So, if you get headers and decide to do a p head swap, Mac performance sells a shorty header designed to fit that the p head so there are no issues with spark plugs and wires. I have the coated shorties (like $350ish + shipping)... the headers were more than the heads... and intake.... Dissapointed. I also put on 1.7 "cobra" pedistal mount roller rockers That I purcahsed from summit, A 70mm Tb and Elbow from Blue oval industries, mark 8 MAF and 24lb injectors from the local U-Pull it....car made 245 hp 285 tq on a dynojet chassis dyno, through a t-5 manual trans, with stock 2.73 gears in third gear.. at the end of the day, after all the little stuff and runs to the parts store, and the tune (I will get to it)... I spent like $1500 ish

knowing what I know now,  I would use the stock Intake with a ported lower,stock Tb, stock MAF, and stock injectors, with the P heads and 1.7s... I think the p heads just don't flow enough to cause the intake manifold to be a restriction when the lower is ported properly, and the same goes for the Throttle body and MAF. A NA 302 that makes peak power at 5,000 RPM does not need an 80mm MAF, a 70mm TB, or 24lb/hr injectors because it can't pump that much air.

As a result of going bigger, I had to get the car tuned becasue it was over-fueling, bad... BTW, the idea behind this was to avoid a custom tune, and still go faster...

I think the stock MAF and TB on fox's are smaller, but I know they have 19lb/hr injectors too, which are fine with a p-head swap. I don't think going bigger on the MAF, TB, injectors, or a filter on a stick "cold air intake" will result in a hp gain worth bragging about... Someone may have to correct me on this, but I probably would have been within 10 - 15hp using the stock TB, MAF, and Injectors with a ported lower, the engine would look stock, and I would have saved alot of money.

I wish I would have spent the few extra dollars.... couple hundred dollars... and upgraded the springs on the heads, done a quick clean up of the guide bosses, run the b-cam I had in my garage with the 1.7s... and had 3.73's or 4:10's thrown in the rear end..... .. then the injectors, Tb, Intake Manifold, MAF, and tune would have been worth it..... and the car would be alot faster.....

At the end of the day, its faster than stock  Smiley but there is a bad after taste  Sad I didn't ask questons of people that had done what I was trying to do, or get advice on how to reach my goals, I just listened to hear-say and now am  Undecided glad for the lesson?

All that said, I think Outlaw Bill has a VERY solid list of things....

I also suggest google searching "auto exhaust science"  its an article by David Vizard written for Super Chevy Magazine, It helped me understand the basics of performace exhaust systems and why bigger does not mean better....

Good Luck!

“Yesterday is but a canceled check, Tomorrow is nothing more than a promissory note, today is the only ready cash you have; spend it wisely.”
liljoe07
"Gentleman Joe"
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

Feed your MILD side

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 04:13:30 pm »

As a result of going bigger, I had to get the car tuned becasue it was over-fueling, bad... BTW, the idea behind this was to avoid a custom tune, and still go faster...

That wasnt a result of going bigger. It was a result of using parts that required a tune. You could have avoided the tune with just a Calibrated Mass Air sensor from Pro-M or another company. The Mark Vlll requires a tune when used with the Foxbody ECMs.

89 Coupe:
347- Canfield 195's, Holley Systemax II, Jones Cam, 3" Exhaust, 3" Spintechs, QuarterHorse, BE/EA

Well since you friggin disagree with every damn suggestion, just rebuild the piece of shit.
Mr.Blue
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 10:12:36 am »

RUN THE B-CAM I had in my garage with the 1.7s..

what.....the......heck........did i just read? At least i found the problem! Praise B to B-cam!!!!

Rodney Tolleson/VP SBFTech van club
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 10:40:14 am »

first thing I would do to any AOD car is put a valvebody in it

next thing would be converter. I would even do this before gears

next thing would probably be longtubes and off road H or X

next would be gears

I think I would actually think about heads and intake before worrying about mufflers as far as power goes

if you like sound you can just put some knockoff flowmasters on the existing pipes. this can be done for $50-60 and change the sound if thats what you are after. mufflers are actually the first thing I usually change they usually dont make it about 48hrs with out mufflers and a K&N lol. there are several knockoff chambered muffler they all sound pretty similar to a flowmaster(the cheap knockoffs). I actually like the sound of mac

as far as magnaflow they have a different sound. its exciting to look through it and see how open it is but there are pulses bouncing around in there running into each other. most performance mufflers are going to be pretty close in power in a mild combo go for what sound you like best at this point. if you were building a 460cube small block with blue thunder heads and 15:1 compression Id be commenting differently lol

425" pump gas 6.2@110
Mr.Blue
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 01:15:38 pm »

I love it when "back from the dead" post get revived.........this is only a year and half old! Maybe he could post a update lol............of course he was only on for a week or so lol

Rodney Tolleson/VP SBFTech van club
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: