Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2018, 12:00:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Director PLEASE!!!!
Add your location information to your personal profile. Thanx!
435277 Posts in 37275 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Transmissions/Differentials
| | |-+ Automatic Transmissions
| | | |-+ 1ST gear stuck
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1ST gear stuck  (Read 4474 times)
stp-a-syd
6 Banger

« on: August 25, 2013, 05:45:14 pm »

My question is in regards to a GM TH350 trans. I know, i know, this is a Ford Forum. I am a Ford guy myself. I just hope someone on here can give some advice because i cant seem to find a good Forum like this one, that deals with GM products.
SOOO,
 My dad bought a 74 Nova with a TH350 in it, and he is the one with problems.
 Here is what happens with it.

The trans acts like it has a trans brake on it. (i think)
 When you start out normal it is slow as hell. I figured out the reason: It's starting out in 2nd gear.
OK, so i shift manually into 1st gear.
nope, that doesn't work either.
If i put the shifter in 1st gear it wont move. It isn't slipping though. Feels like its bound up somehow. Didn't give it much gas cuz i don't want to break it.
It acts like its stuck in two gears at the same time.

I thought "hhmmm, i wonder if the previous owner put in a trans brake"? Maybe its not working properly?
I got underneath the car and looked around, but i cannot find any evidence of a trans brake.
There aren't any wires going to/from the trans. No solenoids or anything visible.

Anyone have any ideas about what could be wrong? Or what exactly i should look for regarding the possibility of it having a trans brake?
Thanks Doods,
Chris
stp-a-syd
6 Banger

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 05:49:32 pm »

Or, maybe someone knows of a good Forum that deals with GM Th350 trans, can refer me to?
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 09:11:57 pm »

The most inexpensive maintenance I can think of is to buy a cheap B&M shift kit.

Install the parts exactly as the instruction are written for "street".

Check the trans filter for contamination...  if there's junk visible, you'll need to rebuild the valve body.
(it's easy to do).

If the shift kit doesn't fix the issue, you'll need to rebuild the transmission (it's easy to do).

I rebuilt my first TH350 without any experience what-so-ever, and it was easy.

Another issue some TH350 have is the lever on the housing is sloppy.  If you see this...  you'll have to find the reason.  Could be the lever itself, or the bracket, or the bushing.

IMO, it sounds like your bands are not releasing...   

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
stp-a-syd
6 Banger

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 08:03:24 am »

Thanks 347.
I've never done a shift kit before, nor do i know what all is included in the kit.
 So, your answer poses another question for me.
"IF" i get a shift kit and install it, and that doesn't work, can the kit then be used in another trans if Dad decides to just replace it?
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 10:06:33 am »

Thanks 347.
I've never done a shift kit before, nor do i know what all is included in the kit.
"IF" i get a shift kit and install it, and that doesn't work, can the kit then be used in another trans if Dad decides to just replace it?
Yes, you can remove the plate and check balls, but you will need to buy another valve body gasket and pan gasket.

Any shift kit you buy will have very good instructions, IMO pretty easy to follow and all the parts are included.

There are a few different types of kits, so just be sure to buy the one that's for street.

Where are you, and maybe someone can help you if they're close enough?
Never mind...  you're pretty close to me.  I'm in Seattle, but there are a few of us in Oregon that are even closer to you.

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
stp-a-syd
6 Banger

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 03:14:09 pm »

Thanks 347.
Yes, you can remove the plate and check balls, but you will need to buy another valve body gasket and pan gasket.

Any shift kit you buy will have very good instructions, IMO pretty easy to follow and all the parts are included.

There are a few different types of kits, so just be sure to buy the one that's for street.

Where are you, and maybe someone can help you if they're close enough?
Never mind...  you're pretty close to me.  I'm in Seattle, but there are a few of us in Oregon that are even closer to you.
Thanks dude. you are a A1 super genious. I'm gonna get the kit and give that a try. Maybe i'll find a bunch of gunk inside when we open it up.
If I screw somthing up and it doesn't work when i'm done, well, no biggy right? cuz it doesn't work right now.
Dad says he talked to the guy he bought it from to see if he knew of any reason for the problem. That guy said it had been sitting for a couple years. Maybe thats the problem. Like you said, stuck bands or something, from sitting a long time.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: