Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2018, 08:35:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Director PLEASE!!!!
Add your location information to your personal profile. Thanx!
435162 Posts in 37251 Topics by 9534 Members
Latest Member: 88_GT
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Membership Tech
| |-+ Product Reviews
| | |-+ SCT X3 Tuner
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SCT X3 Tuner  (Read 22608 times)
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« on: June 22, 2013, 12:08:54 pm »

Ordered the "tuner" through 5 StarTuning.
Shipping to receiving was very quick (3 days)
Mike (owner 5startuning) emailed my profiles same day I sent my baseline.

So far I'm satisfied with the somewhat "canned" tunes.
87 economy (daily driving)
91 performance tow (23' double axle, enclosed hauler)

Reason I got the tuner in the first place was the crappy gas mileage and pinging under slight load.

I'm still reviewing my results and will continue to post them here.

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
vristang
Mr. Coffee
Global Moderator
Big Block

What I look like in a tie...

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 10:47:21 pm »

Look forward to hearing more...

- jason
Quote from: Albert Einstein
If we knew what we were doing, we wouldn’t call it research, would we?
Quote from: My Grandma
Find a young one, so you can raise her right.
347HO
Section Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 09:50:45 am »

On the 5 Star "87 econo" tune I had to back the 0 - 2000 rpm ignition 2 degrees.
This alleviated all pinging when going up-hill.
I sense no performance loss and the truck still hauls ass when the rpm hits 4k rpm.

If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
95GTspeeddemon
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 01:17:14 pm »

On the 5 Star "87 econo" tune I had to back the 0 - 2000 rpm ignition 2 degrees.
This alleviated all pinging when going up-hill.
I sense no performance loss and the truck still hauls ass when the rpm hits 4k rpm.
good to hear.

im surprised the knock sensors dont pull more timing. such a smart "system"...

95gt, stock forged 302 shirtblock, canfield 195's, canfield efi intake; efi sheetmetal elbow, xe258 (208/216 .550), 90mm accufab TB, 69mm gt45, 3in cold side, a/a intercooler, water injection, ba5000 maf, 80lb injectors, moates quarterhorse, stock manifold modified & a log manifold, twin 2in up pipes, 60mm wg, 3.5 dp dumped, 14psi, 3.27s, solid bushing rear upper/lower team z suspension, team z tubular k member and A arms, front coil overs with strange 10 way all the way around. TKO600, stock flywheel, ram replacement pressure plate and kevlar/organic disc. 450rwhp 12.39 @ 123.5mph 3400lbs
85_GT
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 04:24:53 pm »

im surprised the knock sensors dont pull more timing. such a smart "system"...

They might be pulling a lot already.  I find in my GM's that the tables have so much advance, that the max knock retard still isn't enough running on today's 87 gas. 

85GT, Dart Windsor Jr, Crane 2030 equiv. Performer 5.0, 75mm TB, 88mm Slot, 34lbs injectors, 1 5/8" shorties, 5spd converted to 4R70W with Baumann controller, 3.25 9"
A9L running A9P bin via Quarterhorse with LC-1
347HO
Section Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 09:00:39 pm »

For shits and grins I installed the 87 performance tow tune.

Well...  it was definitely LOUDER through my CAI !!!
Busted traction rolling from 2nd to 3rd and the "assist" came on ending the fun.

So, the results are definitely POSITIVE.  There is a serious, noticeable gain in power with the performance tune over the factory computer's "adaptive" learning curve.

I put the "econo" tune back in.

I will learn how to "datalog" this thing so I know what's going on.

Javier
95GTspeeddemon
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 09:57:35 pm »

can you get a video of all this action?

95gt, stock forged 302 shirtblock, canfield 195's, canfield efi intake; efi sheetmetal elbow, xe258 (208/216 .550), 90mm accufab TB, 69mm gt45, 3in cold side, a/a intercooler, water injection, ba5000 maf, 80lb injectors, moates quarterhorse, stock manifold modified & a log manifold, twin 2in up pipes, 60mm wg, 3.5 dp dumped, 14psi, 3.27s, solid bushing rear upper/lower team z suspension, team z tubular k member and A arms, front coil overs with strange 10 way all the way around. TKO600, stock flywheel, ram replacement pressure plate and kevlar/organic disc. 450rwhp 12.39 @ 123.5mph 3400lbs
347HO
Section Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 10:36:42 pm »

can you get a video of all this action?
Maybe...  my boss has the "super-duper" version of GoPro Hero...
Gonna have to remove it from his aeroplane first, and NOT notice it's gone.

Javier
347HO
Section Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 10:03:53 pm »

I pulled my friends 23" inclosed trailer (about 2600lbs of shit inside) with my 2010, F150, 5.4 supercrew.
In all...  it performed okay.  Steering was a lot more manageable than I had thought.  Plenty of power but definitely felt the trailer going up moderate hills.  The transmission performed great, didn't get very hot.
I'm using the "87 performance Tow" from 5 Star Tuning that Mike sent me.  I wanted to see if the lower grade fuel would work on "game day".  It was okay.
I asked Mike if he could send me the "tune" with firmer shifts...  he did and at ZERO cost!
That's really nice, and he sent it to me same day I asked about it.

I can't say enough how satisfied I am with 5 Start Tuning, Mike and the performance my truck now has.

Just thought anyone thinking of an SCT for their truck, give Mike a call and see what he offers.

Javier
347HO
Section Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 10:26:25 pm »

So...
I wanted a little "stiffer" up-shift, and had Mike @ 5-Star program me a shift strategy...
Well...  my truck now chirps 1st, 2nd, 3rd and hits 4th and 5th pretty hard and 6th is still a bit mushy.

It's amazing how much stuff in our new vehicles are controlled by the computer.
In my 70' Camaro, it took me half a day to rebuild my TH-350, then a few tweeks to even come close to what I have in my F150...  which only took 5 minutes to download and program into the truck.

I'm going to have to have Mike "tone it down" about 1/2 for me to enjoy the shift strategy.  For now, I'm over-writing the strategy with the previous version until Mike customizes me a less "neck-snapping" up-shift.

For anyone who cares about SCT Tuning, I thought I'd post my goofing around with it.

Javier
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: