Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2018, 12:13:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
434512 Posts in 37190 Topics by 9525 Members
Latest Member: notchbackjoe
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Membership Tech
| |-+ DIY'er Tricks of the Trade
| | |-+ Thermostat mod cooling system
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thermostat mod cooling system  (Read 37634 times)
turbo2256
Big Block

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2013, 07:13:07 pm »

Sppeding up or slowing down the coolant running through the engine actrually through the radiator can effect the temp. Thermostat is a restriction it self but possibly not the correct srestriction.
Using a restriction plate will slow warm up time. They need sized for the engine usage. Street is probably going to be different from road race or NASCAR,etc as well as the power out put of the engine.

If I am allowed to do a sticky on installing a bleeder in the pump I will explane it. Have done it numerios time probably in a therad in this forum some were. Dont feel much like duplicating it again and again. Will get into the rear crossover options also.
By the end of the day often fingers are so fried i cant or dont feel much like texting or even playing my bass gutiar
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2013, 08:39:39 am »

I found the bleeder mod. Is te cross over mod just from the front intake to where the bleeder would go in the pump?
69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2013, 12:25:32 pm »

Sppeding up or slowing down the coolant running through the engine actrually through the radiator can effect the temp. Thermostat is a restriction it self but possibly not the correct srestriction.

Without changing the water pump nor it's pulley - do you think that changing the coolant system's "restrictor" speeds up or slows down the coolant volume - or do you think that it just changes the coolant pressure?

Robert's 1969 Mercury Montego (FordStrokers 408W, QFT 850cfm RQ-AN, Super Victor, 1" aluminum open spacer, CamMotion HR .624"/.609" 251*/256* 108* LSA, 1-3/4" x 3-1/2" headers, Dynomax Ultra #17224 mufflers, C6/4R100 trans, 8"/9" 5500 converter, Broader Performance manual V/B, 9" 4.56 Detroit Truetrac, Hoosier Pro Street 31" x 12.5" R15" on 10" rims)

The Merc started here = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,27178.0.html  Now = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,34648.0.html

Thanks to Jim "Woody" and Nicole Woods @ FordStrokers 408W, Westminster Performance Transmission (W.P.T.) transmissions, TCS Performance converters, Broader Performance valvebodies and last but not least a BIG thanks (always) to my friends here and abroad in the World!
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2013, 02:58:30 pm »

Without changing the water pump nor it's pulley - do you think that changing the coolant system's "restrictor" speeds up or slows down the coolant volume - or do you think that it just changes the coolant pressure?

With the same pump at the same speed, you can't have higher pressure and flow. As pressure increases, flow decreases.

Reducing coolant flow can also help avoid issues like aeration and pump cavitation.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2013, 03:33:45 pm »

Well, all that I know from experience on the Merc for many years and many different mods - after the engine would finally get up to it's operating temperature it would cruise at the same temps - whether or not it had a thermostat, different sized restrictor plates or no thermostat and no restrictor plates.  The operating temperature did not change once it got there.

I'm just saying.       Naughty

Robert's 1969 Mercury Montego (FordStrokers 408W, QFT 850cfm RQ-AN, Super Victor, 1" aluminum open spacer, CamMotion HR .624"/.609" 251*/256* 108* LSA, 1-3/4" x 3-1/2" headers, Dynomax Ultra #17224 mufflers, C6/4R100 trans, 8"/9" 5500 converter, Broader Performance manual V/B, 9" 4.56 Detroit Truetrac, Hoosier Pro Street 31" x 12.5" R15" on 10" rims)

The Merc started here = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,27178.0.html  Now = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,34648.0.html

Thanks to Jim "Woody" and Nicole Woods @ FordStrokers 408W, Westminster Performance Transmission (W.P.T.) transmissions, TCS Performance converters, Broader Performance valvebodies and last but not least a BIG thanks (always) to my friends here and abroad in the World!
bikefreak600
Small Block

« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2013, 06:23:30 pm »

I'm back to a heating issue. I installed the champion 4 core rad. now I'm 200 degree's again. the weather is hotter about 90 + here . I sold the other rad. and may have to barrow it back.
4 row radiator is the problem.
 four 3/8'' diameter holes = 1.5 inch passage per row.
 2 row radiator uses  two 1 inch diameter holes = 2 inch passage per row.

the 4 row radiator has less coolant flow & more metal mass which holds heat more.
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2013, 12:46:22 am »

Shit I made more changes to the system and fucked it all up. I had a leak on the water pump, so I decided to change pumps back to a stock one and I went to the original size pulley. The vortech is 4.6'' and the stock is 6.5''. I also went with  a robertshaw stat high flow. I over heated like a motherfucker. I have the water [pump running counter clockwise like it should be. I also took the supercharger off. I'm about at witts end on cooling this thing. I have a 180 stat  and would like to run there. It will idle there all day.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: