Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2018, 11:21:45 am

Login with username, password and session length
435165 Posts in 37251 Topics by 9534 Members
Latest Member: 88_GT
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Membership Tech
| |-+ DIY'er Tricks of the Trade
| | |-+ Thermostat mod cooling system
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thermostat mod cooling system  (Read 39112 times)
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 09:19:42 pm »

69merc ,yes that is correct. one more thing I eliminated the t stat bypass. I did this before and it directs the flow into the rad.

I don't understand why it is a good thing to eliminate the thermostat bypass. So it's just a street/strip car, fast warm up isn't crucial. But why not have a fast warm up if it isn't hurting anything?

I once tried this and wasn't happy with it. I would much rather have the "clutter" of the bypass hose and have a quick warm up then have to deal with RELIABLY blocking off the fittings for the bypass and have a slow warm up.
liljoe07
"Gentleman Joe"
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

Feed your MILD side

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 09:21:46 pm »

I took the hose that goes between the t-stat housing and the water pump and blocked it off. I used rubber caps from autozone in the help Isle. I don't care about quick warm up. this is a street strip care. I did buy a champion 4 core radiator tis week. I wish I had tried this earlier. No harm no foul.

Those caps wont last. They will develop fine cracks in short order and those fine cracks grow and start to leak over time.

Those are my findings as well.

89 Coupe:
347- Canfield 195's, Holley Systemax II, Jones Cam, 3" Exhaust, 3" Spintechs, QuarterHorse, BE/EA

Well since you friggin disagree with every damn suggestion, just rebuild the piece of shit.
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 11:31:28 pm »

my caps are 6 yrs old

425" pump gas 6.2@110
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 12:17:20 am »

The main reason for the bypass is directing flow thru the radiator. This is probably a band aid to a certain point. I may change back later. The bypass will allow circulation of hot water away from the radiator I need all the cooling I can get. Maybe someone here can tell us what percentage of water goes back to the pump and what percentage goes to the radiator. Is ford the only one to do this? As stated in the # 30 myths section the longer the water is in the block the hotter it gets. The same for the amount of time in the radiator to be cooled. Ford has bypass that allows  a certain amount of water to bypass the radiator. This I see as a problem as the bypass does not close when at operating tempeture. Quick cure would be solenoid that closes at operating temp.
liljoe07
"Gentleman Joe"
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

Feed your MILD side

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 12:24:17 am »

my caps are 6 yrs old

They don't make them like they used to. I used them on the heater tube to block the egr coolant port. Never lasted. The one for the bypass is a lot thicker though.

89 Coupe:
347- Canfield 195's, Holley Systemax II, Jones Cam, 3" Exhaust, 3" Spintechs, QuarterHorse, BE/EA

Well since you friggin disagree with every damn suggestion, just rebuild the piece of shit.
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 02:04:06 am »

I used those caps about a year ago on my 347 to block off the heater core fitting. Started cracking.

I used them about 10-12 years ago different engine, but same application, same result.
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 02:38:32 am »

The ports can always be tapped for plugs. My water pump already has threaded ports and I've seen a few water necks without the port.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 12:53:05 am »

I'm back to a heating issue. I installed the champion 4 core rad. now I'm 200 degree's again. the weather is hotter about 90 + here . I sold the other rad. and may have to barrow it back.
34_40
6 Banger

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 09:32:50 am »

The purpose of the bypass is to allow the coolant to move out of the block ( or if reverse flow, the heads) and towards the thermostat to allow/make it to open.  With no bypass, and no holes in the thermostat, the coolant would simply sit in the block (or heads with revers flow) and boil until the thermal temperature reached the thermostat.

If you've placed holes in the thermostat, then blocking off the bypass shouldn't pose much of a hazard.  Also, I never use a "Poppet style" thermostat,  these are the real cheap 3 or 4 dollar ones you find at AutoZone, etc..   The "sleeve type" is vastly superior and maintains better temperature control and also can outflow the "poppet style". HTH.  Smiley
Ammosteve
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

Steven Daniels

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 09:33:51 am »

I'm back to a heating issue. I installed the champion 4 core rad. now I'm 200 degree's again. the weather is hotter about 90 + here . I sold the other rad. and may have to barrow it back.

Is this a stock block?  

What is the bore size?

Are you running an electric fan?  What size and are you using it as a pusher or puller?

Do you have the factory air deflector installed?
turbo2256
Big Block

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 10:37:22 am »

One of my engineering work orders at Ford as well as a personal intrest was cooling systems. Years before taking on the work order I had had dug up as much info that I could find documented in Fords files. I ended up with a folder about an 1 1/2 " thick folder. Also invetigated outside info which included stuff back into the days of the model T and steam engines.
I was involved with designing std cooling flow , reverse flow, comartmentized , precision cooling and a lot of variations many spacific current production engines. Some to determine falts and if economicly possible fixes.
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 11:53:33 am »

One of my engineering work orders at Ford as well as a personal intrest was cooling systems. Years before taking on the work order I had had dug up as much info that I could find documented in Fords files. I ended up with a folder about an 1 1/2 " thick folder. Also invetigated outside info which included stuff back into the days of the model T and steam engines.
I was involved with designing std cooling flow , reverse flow, comartmentized , precision cooling and a lot of variations many spacific current production engines. Some to determine falts and if economicly possible fixes.

and the relevance of that here is?

95 gt-R.I.P.
2004 cobra-needs more boost
TooFast98Cobra
Small Block

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 12:04:22 pm »

thats great and all but what do you have to add to this topic that we might not know?

'98 Cobra----Jackstand Queen----SOLD
'93 Notch----Race Car----Almost done
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 05:58:20 pm »

Stock block. 0.30 over on bore, twin 13'' fans dual speed from a nissan Altima. And yes on the air deflector. I drilled 4 21/4 inch hols in the grill and also ordered a new open center where the ford emblem goes for more air flow.
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 08:00:39 pm »

Those are really BIG holes! Grin

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: