Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2018, 10:44:49 am

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435157 Posts in 37249 Topics by 9534 Members
Latest Member: 88_GT
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Membership Tech
| |-+ DIY'er Tricks of the Trade
| | |-+ Thermostat mod cooling system
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thermostat mod cooling system  (Read 39044 times)
wywindsor
Big Block

« on: June 04, 2013, 01:06:56 am »

I was reading in different threads here about cooling issue's. So what I post may be old news, but works well. Robertshaw make's a stat for emp/stewart. The same style is sold under the moroso name as well. It's barrel shaped with no mods. The moroso is $12 at orielly's and the Stewart is $20 from summit. Difference is the Stewart has 3 3/16'' hole drilled in it. The location is on the downstream side, the side towards the radiator in the center cone. I ordered one and I drilled my moroso with 6 3/16'' holes.

The results speak for themselves. I have a 90 fox with a 347 and a roots style supercharger from a lightning with intake air temps of about 120 degree's on a 80 degree day. This is under normal driving conditions without boost. I have a 180 degree t-stat and would get to about 205 degrees before I shut the engine off. After I drilled the stat, I now run 185 with the A.C. on. I could go on but this is true to the point.

One more thing I found interesting while searching the net was one of the radiator places said 180 to 190 was the best operating temps for longevity of the machine work. Is there any truth to this.
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 02:38:01 am »

Funny you mention this, I've been doing it for years. Cured cooling problems on several cars with this mod.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
302ute
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 06:32:50 am »

Pictures for everyone else that hasn't seen this mod before? Thanx!

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

Experience is something you don\'t get until just after you need it.

Generally speaking, you aren\'t learning much if your lips are moving.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

If you tell the truth , you don\'t have to remember  anything.
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 08:32:58 am »

hers a pic

* tstat.jpg (213.76 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 685 times.)

* tstat.jpg (213.76 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 585 times.)
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 08:48:10 am »

I always use a stock style stat and if it doesnt already have one I drill a small bleed hole and index it toward the top. gets rid of air pockets and cools the engine down. the better stats already have it

425" pump gas 6.2@110
69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 09:38:44 am »

hers a pic

So that t-stat has three holes drilled into it around the "cone"?

Robert's 1969 Mercury Montego (FordStrokers 408W, QFT 850cfm RQ-AN, Super Victor, 1" aluminum open spacer, CamMotion HR .624"/.609" 251*/256* 108* LSA, 1-3/4"x3-1/2" headers, Dynomax Ultra #17224 mufflers, C6/4R100 trans, 8"/9" 5500 converter, Broader Performance manual V/B, 9" 4.56 Detroit Truetrac, Hoosier Pro Street 31x12.5R15 on 10" rims)

The Merc started here = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,27178.0.html  Now = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,34648.0.html

Thanks to Jim "Woody" and Nicole Woods @ FordStrokers 408W, Westminster Performance Transmission (W.P.T.) transmissions, TCS Performance converters, Broader Performance valvebodies and last but not least a BIG thanks (always) to my friends here and abroad in the World!
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 01:00:17 pm »

I always used the standard models and drilled a series of holes in the flat section.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 06:09:39 pm »

69merc ,yes that is correct. one more thing I eliminated the t stat bypass. I did this before and it directs the flow into the rad.
69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 09:53:11 pm »

one more thing I eliminated the t stat bypass. I did this before and it directs the flow into the rad.

How did you do that?

Robert's 1969 Mercury Montego (FordStrokers 408W, QFT 850cfm RQ-AN, Super Victor, 1" aluminum open spacer, CamMotion HR .624"/.609" 251*/256* 108* LSA, 1-3/4"x3-1/2" headers, Dynomax Ultra #17224 mufflers, C6/4R100 trans, 8"/9" 5500 converter, Broader Performance manual V/B, 9" 4.56 Detroit Truetrac, Hoosier Pro Street 31x12.5R15 on 10" rims)

The Merc started here = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,27178.0.html  Now = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,34648.0.html

Thanks to Jim "Woody" and Nicole Woods @ FordStrokers 408W, Westminster Performance Transmission (W.P.T.) transmissions, TCS Performance converters, Broader Performance valvebodies and last but not least a BIG thanks (always) to my friends here and abroad in the World!
78 rancho
Small Block

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 01:15:19 am »

with the bypass blocked , I understand the all water to thermostat thing, but the bypass aides in faster warm up, and helps  to keep head pressure on water pump. and I complete agree with the drill a bypass hole in any type of thermostat.  yes it helps to eliminate air pockets under the heads keeps the water moving, IE not hot spots. and usually a .030 hole or smaller is adequate just make sure its close enough to center , so as not to be covered by the gasket and housing
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 01:33:39 am »

I took the hose that goes between the t-stat housing and the water pump and blocked it off. I used rubber caps from autozone in the help Isle. I don't care about quick warm up. this is a street strip care. I did buy a champion 4 core radiator tis week. I wish I had tried this earlier. No harm no foul.
eljavy
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 04:53:23 am »

hers a pic

So that t-stat has three holes drilled into it around the "cone"?

Hmmmmm  i will love to learn more of this mod ..... I live in hell lol southern cali so it gets realy hoot in here 

Did he drill 6 holes in the t stat?

408 stroker "o" ring 351w block,tcy damper,afm b41hr cam,TF heads ported,TF R box imtake.arp head studs,LT.BBK headers,BBK x pipe,BASSANI side exahust cat-back,roller lifters conv.,TF rockers,TF pushrods,accel 48lbs injectors,aeromotive fuel p. reg,vortech t rex external pump,255 in tank holley fuel pump,75 mm tb,75 mm egr spacer,centerforce dual friction cluch,3.73 gears,b&m shifter,vortech supercharger@??psi of boost vortech blowoff valve,snow performance water and methanol injection,afm power pipe,80mm vortech mass air,griffing aluminum radiator,anderson motorsport pms,ngk wideband a/f,full ford racing gauges oil p.,water temp.,volts,boost,fuel p.,tach
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 05:48:20 pm »

The stat shown is a factory with 3 holes in  it evenly spaced. I drilled six holes evenly spaced. The inner cone will turn so you can drill it. They are 3/16'' holes.
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 08:52:08 pm »

has anyone tapped the rear coolant ports on the intake? I thought about it when I was blown

425" pump gas 6.2@110
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 09:15:53 pm »

I took the hose that goes between the t-stat housing and the water pump and blocked it off. I used rubber caps from autozone in the help Isle. I don't care about quick warm up. this is a street strip care. I did buy a champion 4 core radiator tis week. I wish I had tried this earlier. No harm no foul.

Those caps wont last. They will develop fine cracks in short order and those fine cracks grow and start to leak over time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: