Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2018, 11:52:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
435248 Posts in 37264 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Joel 5.0's Electronic Engine Management
| | |-+ Aftermarket Tuners - Generally
| | | |-+ which EFI?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: which EFI?  (Read 14664 times)
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 09:53:16 am »

it's way harder than it should be to figure out what you need to buy to get one of these systems going.

i finally figured out that i need the ecu & harness kit with a tfi ignition adapter harness.

gotta figure out the tps and iac now.

95 gt-R.I.P.
2004 cobra-needs more boost
garsten
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 10:09:03 am »

hold the fucking phone...

i just discovered that there's also a holley HP EFI that's about $1500 for the whole shebang, and does more than i expect to ever need.  Wonder, Ponder

i'd like to know what you end up with.  i'm running the mega squirt 2 plug and pray replacement computer in my 68 f100 with no issues, but i don't run AC.

it's way harder than it should be to figure out what you need to buy to get one of these systems going.

i finally figured out that i need the ecu & harness kit with a tfi ignition adapter harness.

i'd give holley a call.  it's probably not as difficult if you talk to the right people.

so nathan, who is the holley tuner?

cheers, claude

81 fairmont, 347, MS3X ECU, Accufab 4-barrel TB, mass-flo efi intake, canfield 195's, CI cam, 42# injectors, powerglide, REF headers, 3 1/2" exhaust, 4.10 gears.
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2013, 12:17:42 pm »

i've pretty much set my sights on the holley HP setup.

this megasquirt has never worked right, and i can't figure out why.  i first installed it controlling ignition only with a carb, and it worked like a champ.

once i converted to injection too, it stopped revving past 5K.  i messed with the tune, i converted to MAF, i installed bigger injectors,  nothing's helped.  add that to the lousy IAC, random misfires, random engine stopping, and ridiculous cranking time and i'm done with megasquirt.  it may be that i'm just too stupid to use it.     that's why i'm looking for something that's more idiot friendly  

fortunately i got a good deal on it, so i'm not going to take a hit when i sell it.

95 gt-R.I.P.
72MavSprint
Small Block

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 12:45:08 pm »

If EZ EFI is made by the same company that makes the EZ wiring harness, I wouldn't buy it.  Dissapointed Coping with the defects in their wiring harness is burning me out on my F100 project.  Tech support is useless.   They don't answer the phone and they don't return my calls.  I would have been better off buying a universal fuse block and a bunch of wire.
Different companies all together.
What kind of problems you having with the harness? I have one sitting on my shelf was going to use for a project, I know a few people who have used them also with no issues. I do think they are an offshore harness. I do have a kwik wire harness for my F100 also. Between the 2, I think the Kwik harness is a bit nicer

I started a new thread in the products forum to avoid hijacking this one.  http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,35198.0.html

Copied your post over there and responded.

1972 Maverick Sprint
347 Stroker, 650 QF carb, Air Gap, MSD ignition
Doug Thorley Shorties
Broader Perf S/S C4
mighty mouse
"Prom King Mista Nathan Moonen"
Administrator
Big Block

I'll be the Judge of that

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 02:15:10 pm »

Ya know... I have already done this...
What exactly are you wanting to do?

1986 Mustang GT Convertible
Suspension and Differential by Team Z Motorsports
9.5 Deck Forged Stroker Shortblock by FordStrokers
Trick Flow High Ports and Super Vic EFI intake by Duane Busch

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
mighty mouse
"Prom King Mista Nathan Moonen"
Administrator
Big Block

I'll be the Judge of that

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 02:17:39 pm »

or...

ask this guy!

http://sbftech.com/index.php?action=profile;u=41310

1986 Mustang GT Convertible
Suspension and Differential by Team Z Motorsports
9.5 Deck Forged Stroker Shortblock by FordStrokers
Trick Flow High Ports and Super Vic EFI intake by Duane Busch

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 05:45:55 pm »

How hard is converting to a 96+ OBDII wiring harness and PCM from a Ford, a 302 Explorer or a 99-04 V8 Mustang? Has any business produced a wiring harness from those, or is there even just a diagram that someone put together to pull out the operating system components?

The OEM OBDII systems are excellent if you have one on your engine, the key is to make it so. The flashers that swap programs in the PCM are not cheap($300+ new), but those are the biggest expense. People pay programmers to change the tunes(by emails), or they get the extra software and learn to do it themselves.

I am not there yet myself, but I am hunting for a 99-02 automatic Mustang GT for the wiring etc. To retrofit just the PCM system to an older car shouldn't be too bad, if the main circuits of the older car are easy to tap into. Pulling out the PCM only wiring from a 96+ vehicle harness would not be simple/easy.

I'm just bringing this up in case anyone else might think the costs and end system is worth it more than a whole new aftermarket system. Asking

Don

1991 Mark VII LSC Special Edition, soon to be OBDII and 4R70W, then GTC body kit and 347.
1998 Mountaineer, plans for A4WD and KB 2200 blower later, XP8 parts, paint and a 332.
1973 Ranchero and 72 Sport front end ...will be a 351 Clevor, EFI and 4R70W.
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 08:02:51 pm »

Ya know... I have already done this...
What exactly are you wanting to do?

all i want is to get my N/A DD to run good, idle right,  and pull all the way to 7K when i want it to.  my combo now really starts to come on around 4500, which is right where the megasquirt falls on it's face.  it's incredibly infuriating.

i think i've figured out what all needs to be purchased that's holley specific to make it work:

ECU
power harness
main harness
injector harness
ignition harness
bosch WB02 from holley
GM IAT, ECT, & MAP sensors

i'm going to make my TPS and IAC work.  i'm sure the TPS won't be a problem, but after dealing with megasquirt i'm not sure about the IAC.  worst case is i have to spend another $150 on the adapter and GM IAC.

95 gt-R.I.P.
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 08:22:52 pm »

Why do you not want to use the factory eec. If you wanted drivabily ford had it figured pretty well. The 94/95 eec are alot better than the a9l eec. My a9p is fine with a 347 and 8# of boost. You can eliminate all the shit not needed from the eec to simplfy it. lil joe o7 shows some vid of sloppy mechanics in joels forum under aftermarket tuners. There shit is fast and sloppy. he has more vids on youube on the how and what to do.
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 08:37:32 pm »

a variety of reasons, really.

the biggest is that by the time i buy all the shit i'd need to go back to the EECIV, i won't spend too much more to get something that's designed to be tuned.

i hate the blinking light diagnostics for EECIV.

i'd also like to do COPs eventually.

95 gt-R.I.P.
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 09:36:23 pm »

Id be tempted to just run the LS throttle body 

425" pump gas 6.2@110
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 11:40:43 pm »

i'm using a 6061 intake elbow...i don't think it'll work with an LS throttle body.

95 gt-R.I.P.
CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2013, 12:26:55 am »

a variety of reasons, really.

the biggest is that by the time i buy all the shit i'd need to go back to the EECIV, i won't spend too much more to get something that's designed to be tuned.

i hate the blinking light diagnostics for EECIV.

i'd also like to do COPs eventually.

The 99-04 Mustang PCM uses COPs, and the Explorer 99-01 cam sensor provides the needed signal. You just need a crank sensor with those, so use the Explorer timing cover and crank sensor, with 94/95 or 96-01 front dress. Plug and play OEM parts, is it worth it? Whistling

Don

1991 Mark VII LSC Special Edition, soon to be OBDII and 4R70W, then GTC body kit and 347.
1998 Mountaineer, plans for A4WD and KB 2200 blower later, XP8 parts, paint and a 332.
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2013, 10:51:28 am »

No.  That stuff isn't designed to be tuned.  If I was at all interested in cobbling together OEM stuff, I wouldn't be asking about aftermarket units.

95 gt-R.I.P.
CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2013, 06:16:38 pm »

I don't know what the differences are between systems, how are some made to be tuned and others are not?

Don

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: