Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 17, 2018, 01:30:03 am

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435246 Posts in 37263 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Joel 5.0's Electronic Engine Management
| | |-+ Aftermarket Tuners - Generally
| | | |-+ which EFI?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: which EFI?  (Read 14638 times)
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« on: May 16, 2013, 08:47:11 pm »

i currently have a megasquirt (MS2) on my ride.  i don't like it.  it doesn't support ford IAC very well, and it has other issues that i'm just not happy about.  i can either convert it to MS3 or move to a more refined EFI setup.

here's the list of the ones i'm considering:

FAST XFI

big stuff 3

FAST EZ EFI

what i'd really like to be able to do is keep my stock distributor and ignition (95 GT) and let the ECM control it.  that rules out the EZ EFI, but i could get an MSD 6AL-2 to program the spark curve.

i'd also prefer native support of ford sensors, which kind of eliminates FAST stuff in general.

the most important thing is that it be reliable and easy to get an engine to run right.  this is my issue with megsquirt.  i'm sure some people can get it to work well, but i've not been able to. 

what i'm looking for is personal experience with any of the above.  i'm looking for streetability more than max performance.  that means a steady idle with the AC on, no random misfires, no letting the engine die randomly.

any input?  going back to the stock ECM is basically not an option.

95 gt-R.I.P.
2004 cobra-needs more boost
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 09:23:44 pm »

you left out holley?

425" pump gas 6.2@110
mighty mouse
"Prom King Mista Nathan Moonen"
Administrator
Big Block

I'll be the Judge of that

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 09:28:20 pm »

Holley systems are very nice. we also have several members on here that run them...and one member that is a Holley efi tech, and a REALLY good one at that!

1986 Mustang GT Convertible
Suspension and Differential by Team Z Motorsports
9.5 Deck Forged Stroker Shortblock by FordStrokers
Trick Flow High Ports and Super Vic EFI intake by Duane Busch

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 10:13:30 pm »

the only holley system i can find is the dominator, and it's all GM specific shit.

at this point, it looks like i'm going to have to deal with some level of GM shit no matter what i do if i want it to work.

i'm kinda leaning to ez efi, actually.  the only thing that is stopping me at this point is that it's only batch fire.  if it was sequential, i'd be all over it.  ez efi 2.0 is supposed to be out by now, and it's going to do both ignition control AND sequential.  the way my luck runs, it'll come out the day after i buy something else  Disgust

95 gt-R.I.P.
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 10:16:24 pm »

the new holley stuff is supposed to be badass. its self learning

425" pump gas 6.2@110
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 10:21:42 pm »

all of the systems i've listed have self learning features 

95 gt-R.I.P.
72MavSprint
Small Block

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 10:33:55 pm »

If EZ EFI is made by the same company that makes the EZ wiring harness, I wouldn't buy it.  Dissapointed Coping with the defects in their wiring harness is burning me out on my F100 project.  Tech support is useless.   They don't answer the phone and they don't return my calls.  I would have been better off buying a universal fuse block and a bunch of wire.

1972 Maverick Sprint
347 Stroker, 650 QF carb, Air Gap, MSD ignition
Doug Thorley Shorties
Broader Perf S/S C4
garsten
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 10:40:33 pm »

if money is no object...

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,34873.msg392028.html#msg392028

i feel your pain about the GM stuff.  i would probably have a fast system if not for the sensor and harness mess.

if i was starting from scratch or was converting from carb to efi, i would use the fast xfi system.

cheers, claude

81 fairmont, 347, MS3X ECU, Accufab 4-barrel TB, mass-flo efi intake, canfield 195's, CI cam, 42# injectors, powerglide, REF headers, 3 1/2" exhaust, 4.10 gears.
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 10:57:39 pm »

If EZ EFI is made by the same company that makes the EZ wiring harness, I wouldn't buy it.  Dissapointed Coping with the defects in their wiring harness is burning me out on my F100 project.  Tech support is useless.   They don't answer the phone and they don't return my calls.  I would have been better off buying a universal fuse block and a bunch of wire.

EZ EFI is a FAST product, which is part of comp cams.  i don't know if the two are related, but i've read some horror stories about the customer service at FAST.

95 gt-R.I.P.
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 11:12:36 pm »

if money is no object...

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,34873.msg392028.html#msg392028

i feel your pain about the GM stuff.  i would probably have a fast system if not for the sensor and harness mess.

if i was starting from scratch or was converting from carb to efi, i would use the fast xfi system.

cheers, claude

looks like pro M has a standalone ECM for under $2K that works with ford stuff and won't require buying other stuff (sensors, spark box, etc).  that's not too far out of line, and the simplicity factor is definitely appealing.

95 gt-R.I.P.
mighty mouse
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 11:54:54 pm »

Your call...but a. the Holley kit comes with all the sensors. b. who gives a shit what company junk they are modeled after. C. I run the Holley with my stock ford efi distributor. d. it will work with the ford sensors simply by imputing the ford data... and e. the new style GM  sensors and plugs are so much nicer than the old 5.0 ford junk...its not even funny!

Don't make it harder than it needs to be dude!

I hope i make sense. I hate posting from my phone.

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 12:26:37 am »

yeah, you make sense.

unless i'm missing something, the holley deal would be about $2200.

does that sound about right?

95 gt-R.I.P.
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 12:40:17 am »

hold the fucking phone...

i just discovered that there's also a holley HP EFI that's about $1500 for the whole shebang, and does more than i expect to ever need.  Wonder, Ponder

95 gt-R.I.P.
FordRacing250
Big Block

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 05:11:46 am »

Different companies all together.
What kind of problems you having with the harness? I have one sitting on my shelf was going to use for a project, I know a few people who have used them also with no issues. I do think they are an offshore harness. I do have a kwik wire harness for my F100 also. Between the 2, I think the Kwik harness is a bit nicer

RaceTec Pistons
tim@racetecpistons.com
mighty mouse
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 09:16:41 am »

hold the fucking phone...

i just discovered that there's also a holley HP EFI that's about $1500 for the whole shebang, and does more than i expect to ever need.  Wonder, Ponder

Well...yeah!

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: