Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2018, 12:12:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
434512 Posts in 37190 Topics by 9525 Members
Latest Member: notchbackjoe
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Membership Tech
| |-+ DIY'er Tricks of the Trade
| | |-+ what is a good engine support truss?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: what is a good engine support truss?  (Read 8249 times)
Spaz
4 Banger

« on: April 18, 2013, 09:03:22 am »

Hi, I am going to be swapping the K-member on my '92 'Stang LX 5.0 in a couple of months to change oil pan gasket and upgrade the suspension in preparation for more HP as funds allow.  Anyway, I figure it will be easiest to use an engine support truss/brace to accomplish this task since I don't have a garage and will be doing it while the car is on heavy-duty jack stands.  While researching, all the braces I see look so freakin' flimsy it's not even funny.  The tranny crossmember will be holding, what, 10-15% of the weight if the entire engine/trans combo?  That leaves about 400-500 lbs on these flimsy little bars resting on the inner fender lips?  I've thought about an engine hoist but that makes it very difficult to access under the car with the hoist legs under there.  Has anyone used these support braces and is there a specific brand/model that is strong enough to keep me from getting squished under my engine.  I've looked at OTC and Harbor Freight, and the reviews show people using them for 4-cyl transaxle swaps and such.  HF's says it's rated for 1000lbs, but it doesn't look like it would support 500.  I would just like some people's recommendations or experiences with using these things, or another idea.  I don't have unlimited funds, so I'd really like to do this right the first time without wrecking anything.  Thanks.
CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 05:27:06 pm »

I know of the Harbor Freight choice, an online Lincoln member bought and used one for his 91 LSC(302 HO) R&R. I didn't ask him if he liked it etc, but he usually remarks about important details like that. I'd try one myself if it looks good. Let us know what you think of what you find.

Don

1991 Mark VII LSC Special Edition, soon to be OBDII and 4R70W, then GTC body kit and 347.
1998 Mountaineer, plans for A4WD and KB 2200 blower later, XP8 parts, paint and a 332.
1973 Ranchero and 72 Sport front end ...will be a 351 Clevor, EFI and 4R70W.
Spaz
4 Banger

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 08:10:09 pm »

I'm probably going to go with that, I'll def let everyone know if I have any issues.
t-rex80
Adv_SBFTechie
2stroke

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 08:27:14 am »

not sure if you are done with this or not but for future reference, I have used wood to do this before.  using 2 2x4's screwed together and making supports out of plywood for the sides.  kinda like this http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/broken-motor-mount-jetta.htm   worked well.  just try and brace the plywood.  I didn't need to, but I had a motor mount still attached.  I just needed to support the weight.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: