Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 13, 2019, 07:41:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
435293 Posts in 37285 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Forced Induction
| | |-+ Turbos
| | | |-+ Turbo on a 2.3 questions.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Turbo on a 2.3 questions.  (Read 10215 times)
Farmer83
Small Block

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 07:03:09 pm »

I'm sorry,The ranger I want to put the turbo in in an 85 if that makes a difference with anything.
cheese_05_70
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 07:57:08 pm »

Mines an 89 ranger. So there has been a def file developed for the dual plug mustang with maf. Should be just as easy to swap out the ecu right. Pins should be the same correct.
Is that the easiest way to tune this with least amount of rewireing?

What were u trying to accomplish with yours Jason? I know u are running v8 computer to dual plug motor. What made you go through the major rewire and to use that computer?

Mine will be awhile its my daily driver.

88 4 cyl converted to 306, 9:1 compression, cleaned up Windsor sr heads 64cc chamber, nx274 cam installed on 109cl, comp 851 lifters, ultra gold roller rockers, ported typhoon intake, 75mm Tb, 30lb injectors, 80mm pro m maf, hooker shorty 1.625 headers, 2.5 h pipe into 2.5 flowmasters out the back, t5 trans, aluminum driveshaft, 8.8 3.73 gears, Subframes to be installed this weekend.
vristang
Mr. Coffee
Global Moderator
Big Block

What I look like in a tie...

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 09:03:36 am »

Can the 94 v6 ecu be used to control the 2.3? I also have an ecu from a 88 lx 5.0,It was a 5 speed car.
It depends on how well the Strategy file has been developed for the v6 ecu.  You will need access to a couple of parameters that are not always the first ones broken out by the developers... because most folks don't use them...
There are 2 guys (that I am aware of), who develop Strategy files and sell them.  

The Fox computer should work just as well, and the free Strategy file may even have all the parameters you need broken out...
I should warn you though... to my knowledge you would be the first person to do such a conversion, so there won't be a step-by-step guide on how to do it...

Mines an 89 ranger. So there has been a def file developed for the dual plug mustang with maf. Should be just as easy to swap out the ecu right. Pins should be the same correct.
Is that the easiest way to tune this with least amount of rewireing?
Ya, that should be pretty straight forward, but I don't know all the specifics on those vehicles...
A good start would be to compare the engine wiring diagrams.

What were u trying to accomplish with yours Jason? I know u are running v8 computer to dual plug motor. What made you go through the major rewire and to use that computer?

Mine will be awhile its my daily driver.
My '87 notch has been evolving since I bought... there is no clear plan, and the plan is always changing.  Basically, if I get a wild hair, I try it on this car.
I drive the car to work, which is about 115 miles per day... so economy is usually a motivator.

I had a 'hitch' in the idle with the stock ecu.  There was no tuning support for that ecu, so I swapped in an LA3 with MAF code conversion hoping some data logs would show what was going on.  The 'hitch' pretty much went away, but I still wasn't too happy with it.  It felt rough compared to how smooth a fox v8 idled and rev'd, so I started looking for another ecu option.

A local guy was selling a T4M0 for cheap, and around the same time, I just happened to stumble on a thread at eectuning describing running a v6 on a similar ecu.  
The wiring wasn't too bad, it just took me a while since I never seemed to get more than an hour at a time to work it.  Plus the stock fan controller had burned out years ago, so I wanted to pull and inspect the wiring anyway.

This ecu does have internal fan control, sequential injector firing control, and decel fuel shutoff.  
This  ecu controlled my n/a 2.3 fairly well with the stock distributor in place with a single plug head.

However, the head developed cracks (as most 2.3 heads do), and I found a good 2 plug head.  The intake for those heads interferes with the distributor, which means I needed to run DIS or EDIS or CoP ignition.
After trying like hell to make the T4M0 ecu work with EDIS, I found out that part of the code is missing to support EDIS... so it would never run right.

I started looking for another ecu, and was turned on to the CZAJL strategy.  The ecu is used in 93-95 (IIRC) Lincoln MkVIII's.  
It supports EDIS and has several other features, like manifold runner control, which may be fun to play with later.
The fan control is true variable speed, but is done through a controller separate from the ecu.  For now I'm just running a manual switch though.
I tried to use a CID sensor from a California edition Ranger to feed the ecu Cylinder Identification (drops in place of the factory distributor), but it is starting to look like it just won't work... so soon I will install a 36-1 wheel and VR sensor on the cam once I find an appropriate wheel.

Sorry that was so long... didn't mean to spew all over the thread like this.
But I guess that shows the long and winding path that got me here, lol

But to answer the heart of your question more directly... it just seems like there is better support for the v8 computers.  They are more completely broken out, and since more folks use them, it should be easier to find help if I have a question on how something works.
And the v8 ecu's can be easier to find...

- jason
Quote from: Albert Einstein
If we knew what we were doing, we wouldn’t call it research, would we?
Quote from: My Grandma
Find a young one, so you can raise her right.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: