Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2018, 10:09:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435248 Posts in 37264 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Transmissions/Differentials
| | |-+ Your aod build
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your aod build  (Read 7820 times)
wywindsor
Big Block

« on: December 01, 2012, 09:25:06 pm »

I'm getting ready for part 2 of my build The tranny. I chose an AOD for this starting with a E9 case. I also have a 1997 4r70w but it is one year early so it doesn't have the mech. diode that everyone ravs about.

What is your experience with the aod? did your build it and what kind of power or et are you running.
 I will use a full manual V.B. with a brake and constant pressure so no tv cable. Any help as to where you bought your parts and did you build your valvebody.

Thanks Ray
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 09:30:34 pm »

While I'm plant happy with my C4, I think the lockup in 3rd like Lentec offers would be nice. Especially with a power adder.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 09:46:24 pm »

While I'm plant happy ...
So, what you're saying is....    you're a tree hugger?

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 09:52:35 pm »

While I'm plant happy ...
So, what you're saying is....    you're a tree hugger?

Damn auto spell correct! Supposed to be plenty.

Tree hugger, huh? That's funny, considering where I work.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 06:06:33 pm »

Mighty Mouse has an aod, whats your take?
turbo2256
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 06:18:33 pm »

My AOD was built using the 4R gear sets. I installed a Lentech valve body they suggested. Best one for a tranny without special shafts. I dont know much else about the insides but the front pump and tail shaft are not AOD pieces. It will snap your neck at any speed it shifts at. Only issue for me is anything around half throttle or more in drive it will shift about 4800 from first hit second squeek the tires then hit third almost at the same time. Shifting manually it will smoke tires in first second and third winding it out over 7K
Cold Aussie
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 11:20:37 pm »

Does anyone have a recomendation on who to buy an AOD from. I'm about to order one for my Cougar/427 from Jim. So far I have it down to either Silver Fox or Art Carr. I want to get it right first time, hard to send it back from Australia!
Stephen

66GT A Code, Jim Woods 347. CI cam with the works.
68 Cougar, stock for now, However Jim has built a Dart based 427 for this car.Custom cam with the works. Still sitting just in front of the car! 1970 Torono 429.
FG FPV Utility, the last Aussie V8 Falcon Ute.
Sons Ute 2011 Falcon FG XR^ Turbo, 6 spped Tremec, 3.45 lsd.
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 11:24:06 pm »

Ive heard good things about Freddie Brown but never used them myself

425" pump gas 6.2@110
mighty mouse
"Prom King Mista Nathan Moonen"
Administrator
Big Block

I'll be the Judge of that

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 11:23:07 am »

Mighty Mouse has an aod, whats your take?

My AOD is an Art Carr Extreme design/build.

In brief, its an 89 case with the following highlights/upgrades:

Non lockup style 1 piece input shaft
Manual valve body, forward pattern with transbrake
Alto red clutches
A+ Sonnax OD servo
mechanical diode drum kit with 2" wide OD band
Art Carr deep aluminum pan
Lokar Braided stainless dipstick

I got it from a guy who had burned it up leaving on the brake in 2nd gear.  I took it to my local trans guy who wen t through it.  Most of the clutches were Reds, and where my guy thought that an upgrade was needed, he swapped in Blues.

The valve body is a modified stocker (which I think they all are).  I talked quite a bit to silverfox about what he does to the AODs before making a decision.  I was about to buy a new one from him when I found the deal on the Art Carr somewhat local. 

I have driven a few cars with the Art Carr AODs.  The transmissions impressed me a great deal - enough for me to search out one.

A good AOD can make even a relatively mild 302 in a street car seem like a raging beast...

If you are going to have the option of computer control, the 4R70w is probably a better starting point though as it does not require as many upgrades/mods.

1986 Mustang GT Convertible
Suspension and Differential by Team Z Motorsports
9.5 Deck Forged Stroker Shortblock by FordStrokers
Trick Flow High Ports and Super Vic EFI intake by Duane Busch

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 05:43:40 pm »

I hate the delay when the 1-2 shift actually occurs. it hit HARD but I had to click it about 400 early. I had a bigger restrictor on the 1-2 accumulator spring then what lentech and silverfox use

mine drove like a crown vic at part throttle and while it needed more stall it shifted hard on 1-2 and 2-3

I would probably sell the valvebody if anyone wants it. its a homemade lentech from a 93. it should have stamped drum and 2"band being its originally out of a 93 truck, but the tail is 1" longer

425" pump gas 6.2@110
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 06:02:17 pm »

I'm going to build and aod manual shift trans brake unit.
Bookinbopper
2stroke

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 11:02:40 pm »

I was building an AOD for my Bronco before I parted the AOD project out and got a granny 4-speed.

I would get a SilverFox Armageddon 950. Lockup matters when it matters. Sometimes you don't want it, especially when having some give in the torque converter will save power train parts from breaking under high traction and torque situations.

Kevlar bands and blue clutches do slip more but are complemented with high line pressures.

I would get a constant pressure valve body because you don't have to worry about the throttle-valve losing its adjustment and having the transmission self destruct. The other reason I listed earlier, that it complements the blue racing clutches and kevlar bands.

I would certainly get the electric overdrive lockout.

I had a Dirty Dog 300m 1-piece input shaft. I paid $195 for it which I thought was a good deal. Next time I might get Vasco if it is stronger.

The torque converter is just a C6 torque converter with a special washer or bushing to alter the stack height.

Transgo makes the High Rev Governor Valve kit which I think is the only one of its kind.

In short I would probably just buy a Silverfox Armageddon AOD 950.
V8Demon
Small Block

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 03:43:51 pm »

E9 case, hardened input shaft, Silver Fox Valve body with the set screw to change WOT shift points and the Hi-Rev governor kit, and billet OD servo all behind a Pro-Torque converter with a 2800 stall.  WOT shifts are at 6200......

I'd recommend product from Silver Fox.  I'm very happy.

--05 Mustang GT-Whippled! - 11's are coming.....
--87 Cougar 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake-Ed Curtis Cam-Many other goodies-3100Lbs...Low 12's
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: