Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2018, 12:40:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
435248 Posts in 37264 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Small Block Talk
| |-+ Other Ford Engines
| | |-+ 351c, 351M, & 400 Small Blocks
| | | |-+ 1973 4V Heads Question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1973 4V Heads Question  (Read 5108 times)
Brucifer
6 Banger

« on: October 15, 2012, 08:58:01 pm »

Are these things any good? Big ports, open chamber and 2V sized valves. Just wondering if they can make decent power and torque.

Thanks.
Bam54
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 09:09:56 pm »

Not my first choice but you can make decent power with them.

Bam

"Take the horse out of the barn and let her run baby run"

www.ponyexpressracing.com

CHI headed 454 Clevor
9.24@142 1.30 60ft N/A
5.84@117 1.28 60ft N/A
3040lbs race weight
mighty mouse
"Prom King Mista Nathan Moonen"
Administrator
Big Block

I'll be the Judge of that

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 08:57:49 am »

They do alright for a factory small block head.  Don't pay for them, there is a bazillion out there and people give them away every day.

If the cam is correct, I like the 4v heads much better...

1986 Mustang GT Convertible
Suspension and Differential by Team Z Motorsports
9.5 Deck Forged Stroker Shortblock by FordStrokers
Trick Flow High Ports and Super Vic EFI intake by Duane Busch

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
Brucifer
6 Banger

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 09:42:12 am »

Thanks guys. The reason I ask is, my machinest has a complete '73 4V engine in pieces he'll sell me. I just recently picked up a '74 Montego MX 2 door and I would like to put together a strong running powerplant to move that behemoth a little quicker than the 2V that's in it now. I could cheat and put together a 460/C6 like I've done in the past but I'd like to stick with the stock powertrain of the 351C/FMX combo.
I've been reading over that big head/small cam thread and am thinking I could do something like that with this engine. I'd like to maybe shoot for a 400 hp and 400 lb+ torque deal on our crappy California pump gas and be a happy, well-mannered every day street driver. Possible?

I should add, I love Clevelands. My first true hot rods were both 351 Cleveland powered, a '69 Mustang coupe and a '72 Ranchero GT. The Mustang had been modified by the previous owner. The motor was a 2V with a Crower lumpy cam, Edelbrock dual plane and Holley 600 double pumper. Trans was a Top Loader 4 speed.
The Ranchero was a factory 4V 351 CJ, Top Loader and 3.25 Posi. Both very fun rigs.
I have been waiting for the oppertunity to build another Cleveland for years and this seems like the perfect deal for it.
Brucifer
6 Banger

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 09:17:10 pm »

Anyone?
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 09:31:32 pm »

The engine could make decent power, but i would ditch the FMX.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
Bam54
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 09:32:26 pm »

Yes it is possible but the came will have to be right you get to much cranking compression and you will have detonation problems the open chamber heads are prone to it I would build a stroked 351C for that heavy of a car.

Bam

"Take the horse out of the barn and let her run baby run"

www.ponyexpressracing.com

CHI headed 454 Clevor
9.24@142 1.30 60ft N/A
5.84@117 1.28 60ft N/A
3040lbs race weight
Brucifer
6 Banger

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 10:53:34 pm »

JC- I do have a small block C-6 I could do up and swap in. I also have two stall converters left over from my 460 drag racing days--one's a 3000 and the other's a 4000 rpm stall--that could be used if need be. I'm aware they would stall at a lower rpm with the smaller motor.

Bam54- I'm strongly leaning towards a 393 kit.

I'd also like to get some port work done and a custom cam would probably be a must.
Could you guys recommend a good, reasonable small block/Cleveland head porter and custom cam grinder?

Thanks again.

juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 04:17:32 am »

JC- I do have a small block C-6 I could do up and swap in. I also have two stall converters left over from my 460 drag racing days--one's a 3000 and the other's a 4000 rpm stall--that could be used if need be. I'm aware they would stall at a lower rpm with the smaller motor.

IMO, a C4 is the way to go. Its light and plenty strong if built right.

You can also use your C6 converter with one of these adapters. A friend of mine has had one of these in his car for years.

http://www.performanceautomatic.com/products/parts-and-accessories/c4-race-parts/c4-spline-adapter.html

Bam54- I'm strongly leaning towards a 393 kit.

I think the 351C variant is more appealing than the Windsor version. Even though it still uses the stock rod bearing and stock Windsor rods, the shorter deck allows a fairly light piston to be used.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
Brucifer
6 Banger

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 10:22:55 am »

Well, I'm on a very tight budget so I really need to use what I already have. But if I could get one of my local Ford buddies to send a C-4 my way, I'd take it!  Cheesy

So, any porters or cam grinders you could recommend? I wish Jay Allen was still doing cams..
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: