Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2018, 06:54:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435277 Posts in 37275 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Transmissions/Differentials
| | |-+ Going auto what would you do
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Going auto what would you do  (Read 11085 times)
wywindsor
Big Block

« on: September 09, 2012, 09:35:28 pm »

I'm going to a auto think c4 or a aod. What are the downfalls of an aod . I do not have a computer controlled eec. I could use one out of somethingf newer I think but ? I would like to drive this on the street and race as well. This is why I like the aod but price and the reliability of a c4 is fine. Tell me your combo likes and dislikes.

Ray
69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 11:07:07 pm »

Once my guy learned how to build my custom C4 so the power that I have and the weight of us doesn't tear up the clutch pack every couple of months my C4 has now been great for me.

It is lighter than an AOD and robs less power.

Because of my rear gear and race weight and only three speeds plus the high stalling T/C driving great distances is out of the question because the gas pump already owns me as it is.

If I had an AOD with it's OD band I could cruise around and use less fuel and for greater distances.

The Merc used to have one.  I got pissed because the OD band kept wearing out.  Only later after I replaced it with a C4 did I learn that if you have any power and any weight you will want to EASE IT INTO OD and not at WOT ever!!!!

Robert's 1969 Mercury Montego (FordStrokers 408W, QFT 850cfm RQ-AN, Super Victor, 1" aluminum open spacer, CamMotion HR .624"/.609" 251*/256* 108* LSA, 1-3/4"x3-1/2" headers, Dynomax Ultra #17224 mufflers, C6/4R100 trans, 8"/9" 5500 converter, Broader Performance manual V/B, 9" 4.56 Detroit Truetrac, Hoosier Pro Street 31x12.5R15 on 10" rims)

The Merc started here = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,27178.0.html  Now = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,34648.0.html

Thanks to Jim "Woody" and Nicole Woods @ FordStrokers 408W, Westminster Performance Transmission (W.P.T.) transmissions, TCS Performance converters, Broader Performance valvebodies and last but not least a BIG thanks (always) to my friends here and abroad in the World!
WKERacing
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 07:09:35 am »

Correct me if i`m wrong, but didn't the early AOD`s come without electronics ?
David Claflin
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 08:31:52 am »

Yes,

You can get a baumann controller and use the 4R70W from a V6 mustang, even in a carb'd application. The 4R is supposedly good for 600HP the way they are, no need for hardened input shafts, different drums and so on. The one in my LTD LX came out of my son's 98 mustang. I put a shift kit in it, and different ring on the input shaft and it's been working great, I can tune the up and down shift points, converter lock up, and shift firmness. Plus, the gearing in the 4R is better than the AOD, 2.84 vs 2.40 first gear for example.

http://www.becontrols.com/

1990 Red LX, 306, 80MM, ported gt40's, ported explorer upper accufab longtubes, 3" exhaust, 4.30's, 336/331
1985 LTD LX 347, 205 11R's, TFS-R, 90MMTB, MAC 1 3/4" longtubes, 4R70W, mach 1 brakes
1988 GT long term project
eckertd
Big Block

Fibonacci: It's as easy as 1, 1, 2, 3, ...

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 09:12:42 am »

I've been considering an AOD swap, as well.  That O/D ratio is very attractive (vs a C4).  You can swap a wide ratio gearset in there, too.  I believe it's the same one from the 4R70W.

If you go AOD, don't forget about the TV rod/linkage.  I've heard only good things about the Baumann unit for the 4R.

69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 09:39:29 am »

Depending on your T/C -- the wider the gear ratio the more of a shift rpm drop you will get.

Robert's 1969 Mercury Montego (FordStrokers 408W, QFT 850cfm RQ-AN, Super Victor, 1" aluminum open spacer, CamMotion HR .624"/.609" 251*/256* 108* LSA, 1-3/4"x3-1/2" headers, Dynomax Ultra #17224 mufflers, C6/4R100 trans, 8"/9" 5500 converter, Broader Performance manual V/B, 9" 4.56 Detroit Truetrac, Hoosier Pro Street 31x12.5R15 on 10" rims)

The Merc started here = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,27178.0.html  Now = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,34648.0.html

Thanks to Jim "Woody" and Nicole Woods @ FordStrokers 408W, Westminster Performance Transmission (W.P.T.) transmissions, TCS Performance converters, Broader Performance valvebodies and last but not least a BIG thanks (always) to my friends here and abroad in the World!
Cold Aussie
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 10:57:04 am »

I am about to order an AOD from Silverfox Transmissions. Dan seems to be the man to go to. he will build you and AOD with 4r70 internals etc etc. Be nice to hear from someone who has dealt wth Silverfox.
Stephen

66GT A Code, Jim Woods 347. CI cam with the works.
68 Cougar, stock for now, However Jim has built a Dart based 427 for this car.Custom cam with the works. Still sitting just in front of the car! 1970 Torono 429.
FG FPV Utility, the last Aussie V8 Falcon Ute.
Sons Ute 2011 Falcon FG XR^ Turbo, 6 spped Tremec, 3.45 lsd.
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 12:57:36 pm »

the low first gear is kind of useless unless you are going to run 3.27 gear or something. at that point there isnt as much need for OD

425" pump gas 6.2@110
Fastbackmarc67
6 Banger

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 01:47:36 pm »

I am about to order an AOD from Silverfox Transmissions. Dan seems to be the man to go to. he will build you and AOD with 4r70 internals etc etc. Be nice to hear from someone who has dealt wth Silverfox.
Stephen

Quote from Eric Butler, so you can ask him:
I am not sure about a power number but I know Dan at Silverfox transmissions has been setting them up to take a ton of abuse.  It is just a matter of talking with him and see what he says.  I am by no means a tranny guy so for me to say anything really would be pointless.  Dan is kinda like the Fordstrokers in the AOD stuff.  He builds quality and has tons of knowledge of what works with AODs, and what not to do.  I absolutly love mine.  Mine with the non lockup is rated at 700hp.  He has ones that are up to 900hp. 
68mustang405
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 02:11:01 pm »

I like the idea of the 4r70w because you have a lot of different options with tunability. But the upfront cost is more. If you're doing something for the longhaul and not temporary, i would go with a 4r70w. I have no personal experience just what I've read. I've got a t5 in mine.

Also with an electronic transmission like the 4r70w you have lockup in every gear as I understand it which translates to more efficiency and better gas mileage.

Plus Baunmann controllers have a paddle shifter so you could paddle shift it if you're into that kinda thing. 

68 Mustang 310 twisted wedge 170, tfs1, weiand stealth, 1.6 rr t5 3.55s with a locker, a/c and all the creature comforts.

On a serious note.. wagon made 3000hp on the dyno
Mr.Blue
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 04:16:02 pm »

the low first gear is kind of useless unless you are going to run 3.27 gear or something. at that point there isnt as much need for OD

I personally would disagree with this.............i'd love to have the "wide ratio" (same as 4r70) gearset as Motorsport called it back in the early/mid '90s in my girls AOD slug, it's got 4.10s and i'd love to have the extra 1st. gear vs the pathetic 2.40.............it made a good improvement on any car i've seen it dropped into...............just my opinion, especially on a N/A car and "mild" combos.........

Rodney Tolleson/VP SBFTech van club
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 04:18:13 pm »

Every AOD made came without electronics, as in none were ever computer controlled.
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 04:25:15 pm »

I'm going to a auto think c4 or a aod. What are the downfalls of an aod .

It costs a lot of money to get an aod that is built to handle a lot of power and abuse. Look at lentech for example.

My personal favorite is a rollerized c6 with 4r100 internals. This way the parts are light in weight and everything is rollerized. A c6 like this robs no more power than a c4, will handle much more abuse than a c4, but weights a little more than a c4.

A c6 will weight just about as much as an aod. An aod, no matter what, will never be as strong as a c6 though.
mighty mouse
"Prom King Mista Nathan Moonen"
Administrator
Big Block

I'll be the Judge of that

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 05:13:22 pm »

I went with an AOD - built because of the power it can handle and the OD it has...

Lots of guys running 1000 hp thru them...

C4s are just so hit and miss.  They seem to break so often if you have good power that requires some RPM.

If I were to do a 3 speed for some serious power, I would run a built TH400 without blinking an eye.

1986 Mustang GT Convertible
Suspension and Differential by Team Z Motorsports
9.5 Deck Forged Stroker Shortblock by FordStrokers
Trick Flow High Ports and Super Vic EFI intake by Duane Busch

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 05:30:26 pm »

I personally would disagree with this.............i'd love to have the "wide ratio" (same as 4r70) gearset as Motorsport called it back in the early/mid '90s in my girls AOD slug, it's got 4.10s and i'd love to have the extra 1st. gear vs the pathetic 2.40.............it made a good improvement on any car i've seen it dropped into...............just my opinion, especially on a N/A car and "mild" combos.........

on a mild combo I would definately agree with you. a stroked windsor on a power adder, not so much... JMO

425" pump gas 6.2@110
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: