Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2018, 12:58:33 am

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435248 Posts in 37264 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Transmissions/Differentials
| | |-+ AODominator from PATC
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AODominator from PATC  (Read 6228 times)
Cold Aussie
Stroked Small Block

« on: May 08, 2012, 08:49:46 pm »

Hi all
I am seriously contemplating an AOD level 4 trans from PATC along with one of their kits to instal in an early Mustang/Cougar. I will run it in my 68 Cougar behind the 427 Windsor Dart that Woody built me.
Do any of you have experience with PATC? What is the best shifter to use, I want to keep ir as original inside as possible.

Stephen

66GT A Code, Jim Woods 347. CI cam with the works.
68 Cougar, stock for now, However Jim has built a Dart based 427 for this car.Custom cam with the works. Still sitting just in front of the car! 1970 Torono 429.
FG FPV Utility, the last Aussie V8 Falcon Ute.
Sons Ute 2011 Falcon FG XR^ Turbo, 6 spped Tremec, 3.45 lsd.
Cold Aussie
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 09:17:43 am »

So no one has an opinion on PATC? Do I go ahead and order the AOD?

Stephen

68 Cougar, stock for now, However Jim has built a Dart based 427 for this car.Custom cam with the works. Still sitting just in front of the car! 1970 Torono 429.
tminus3
6 Banger

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 11:49:40 am »

Do a search on the Vintage Mustang Forum for a couple of not so stellar experiences. I went with a 4R70W coupled to a Baumann TCS controller.
I've heard alot of good things about www.silverfoxtrans.com He does AOD's and 4R70W's.
Cold Aussie
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 07:04:54 pm »

Thanks for the heads up, i have checked out Silver Fox and will check on the Vintage Mustangs forum. You dont have a link do you? I thought someone on this site would have had experience with PATC. They seem to know what they are talking about on the phone.

Stephen

Cold Aussie
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 09:43:07 pm »

WOW nothing good to be said about PATC on VMF. Although there has not been any updates for 3 years, I wonder if they have lifted their game or should I just go Silverfox or Lentech? PATC has a nice early Mustang/Cougar conversion kit though.

Stephen

69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 09:46:56 pm »

I thought that Lentech was out of business?  Or switched owners?  Or maybe I'm thinking about a different trans company?    

Robert's 1969 Mercury Montego (FordStrokers 408W, QFT 850cfm RQ-AN, Super Victor, 1" aluminum open spacer, CamMotion HR .624"/.609" 251*/256* 108* LSA, 1-3/4"x3-1/2" headers, Dynomax Ultra #17224 mufflers, C6/4R100 trans, 8"/9" 5500 converter, Broader Performance manual V/B, 9" 4.56 Detroit Truetrac, Hoosier Pro Street 31x12.5R15 on 10" rims)

The Merc started here = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,27178.0.html  Now = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,34648.0.html

Thanks to Jim "Woody" and Nicole Woods @ FordStrokers 408W, Westminster Performance Transmission (W.P.T.) transmissions, TCS Performance converters, Broader Performance valvebodies and last but not least a BIG thanks (always) to my friends here and abroad in the World!
Cold Aussie
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 01:05:40 am »

Received a reply from Len at Lentech about an hour ago. So I guess no one has told him. Still thinking about PATC just because of the conversion kit. Anybody?

Cold Aussie
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 05:13:09 am »

http://sbftech.com/index.php?topic=31131.0

Now I am really confused! Who do I buy a bullet proof AOD from?

Stephen

tminus3
6 Banger

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 08:47:56 am »

Sound like Dan is not without error, as is anyone.
The problem for guys living overseas, like you and me, is that your stuck with whatever gets shipped to you, as returning it is almost never an option. And I've gotten some junk shipped from the US you wouldn't believe.
That's why I try do build my own junk. Built my own block, built and retrofitted a 4R70W myself. Did most of the suspension changes myself, etc.

All I can add is that my only two orders from PATC (just parts, no complete trans) were either missing parts or had wrong parts. I'm no Silverfox customer, but Dan has helped me out quite a few times with questions on AOD and 4R70W transmissions I was building. He even sent me a couple of 1-piece sealing rings for my 4R70W I could not get my hands on locally. He also did a great writeup on building AOD and 4R70W transmissions over on clickclickracing.

Maybe you could try and get ahold of someone locally to build your AOD? I know of a transmisson guru in Brisbane the might be able to help you out. *edit* I just noticed you're from Perth, so Brizzy is probably no help for you.
Cold Aussie
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 09:21:32 pm »

That is more than a minor issue, once something has been shipped halfway around the world, it is impossissible to return for warranty work. The AOD was never used down here, so when you ask a transmission place to build you one their eyes roll around in their head and they either find some excuse not to use one or square the rebuild price of a knowm trans and scare you away with that. I would have a go at rebuilding one if I could find a core but they are like hens teeth.

Stephen

CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 10:20:06 pm »

The 4R70W has a much better chance of surviving performance use, mainly because the 98+ versions are almost as good as you can get. All AOD's need major upgrades, mostly in the way of 4R70W internal parts.

I checked out Dan's site(thanks for the link), and I see he has some VB's which delete the TV cable and function. I would recommend that for anyone or any place that doesn't have people very familiar with the TV circuit. If you don't have that cable adjusted just right, the trans will burn up, from lack of fluid pressure.

I also try to build my own trans, the AOD/AODE/4R70W is all I know. I would like to have some of the higher end modifications which a few places preform. The internal lubrication modifications that they can do are not at all common knowledge, or easy to accomplish.

Depending on prices, it may be feasible to have one built just to get those special upgrades. Fortunately the AOD's etc do not typically destroy themselves when they "fail." If you are paying close attention and notice an issue, and then stop driving the car, the trans is not hard to rebuild to new condition. Many Ford transmissions though are horrible, in that when they do "fail', look out because tons of internal hard parts are ruined. In those often there can be damage spread to everything, from the pump to the case itself.

Don

1991 Mark VII LSC Special Edition, soon to be OBDII and 4R70W, then GTC body kit and 347.
1998 Mountaineer, plans for A4WD and KB 2200 blower later, XP8 parts, paint and a 332.
1973 Ranchero and 72 Sport front end ...will be a 351 Clevor, EFI and 4R70W.
SBF Steve
2stroke

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 05:47:49 pm »

Stephen
Gday my name is steve  I have brought a PTAC  AOD Street Smart Transmission and live in south Australia. I have had nothing but issues with it shifts are sloppy and changes into 2 about 10 ft of the line. although there service is good I am still trying to work out the problem with them over the internet with them. which is a pain in the arse
CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 10:54:31 am »

Stephen
Gday my name is steve  I have brought a PTAC  AOD Street Smart Transmission and live in south Australia. I have had nothing but issues with it shifts are sloppy and changes into 2 about 10 ft of the line. although there service is good I am still trying to work out the problem with them over the internet with them. which is a pain in the arse

95% of the functions/control/source of shifting and symptoms are from the valve body. I'd concentrate all efforts on the VB. The rest is hard parts that basically work or they fail(fast), due to the VB control.

If the trans is all in fine shape still(no significant material has been in the fluid since built), the working on or replacing the VB should solve the problems. If you trust that everything is good besides the VB, I'd ask them to send you a new VB, swap yours etc.

Don

1991 Mark VII LSC Special Edition, soon to be OBDII and 4R70W, then GTC body kit and 347.
1998 Mountaineer, plans for A4WD and KB 2200 blower later, XP8 parts, paint and a 332.
1973 Ranchero and 72 Sport front end ...will be a 351 Clevor, EFI and 4R70W.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: