Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2018, 11:53:37 am

Login with username, password and session length
435277 Posts in 37275 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots Camshafts
| | |-+ Cam Question?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cam Question?  (Read 6946 times)
Oneslow93LXXX
4 Banger

« on: February 18, 2008, 03:03:48 pm »

First off I'm new to the site and wanna say hello everyone andI really am enjoying all these threads on this site very good info.. Ok here we go i have a 306 with edel perf heads and  perf intake and b cam with 10: 1 pistons all the usual goodies.. When i installed the B303 cam I installed it 2 degrees advanced. Would of it hurt the performance of the car and also should I reinstall it at O. or just go with a diff cam to benefit from..my mph is only 105 hitting the traps in the 1/4
PJC Racing
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 04:56:26 pm »

Welcome
This isn't a bad combo but there is some room for improvement IMO.

You didn't mention anything about trans/gear/tire height. But either way, if you are running 1.6 ratio rockers you can gain a little by going to 1.7 ratio (basically equals an "X" cam).

You didn't say what rpm you spin engine either. Now those Edelbrock springs will work with the "B" cam, but if you are turning allot of rpm you may benefit from upgraded springs. I know from experience that the Edelbrock doesn't use the greatest parts in their heads (junk, for the lack of a better term). If the heads were mine, I would send them to Thumper for porting and install new valve train parts.

You didn't mention what injector you are running, if you are using the stock 19 lbs. injectors they may be maxed out in the upper rpm ranges. If you don't already have them, 24 lbs. injectors would be better suited for you application IMO.

As for the cam advance, it is more common to advance the cam 4 degrees on the "B" shaft. Can you get buy with the cam you have, yes. Can you benefit more from a different cam, damb straight! I recommend getting a custom from Camshaft Innovations, Jay can design a cam specific to your application to make the most power out those parts as possible. If you decide to go that route, go to his web site and read it before you contact him.

Hope this helps a little, but to get some better feedback you will need to give more details on what you are running to include induction, exhaust, and electronics.

Jeff

89 LX Coupe: Factory 5.0, common performance and
                      suspension bolt-ons (306 build in
                      progress)
86 GT:(current 1/4 project) will have primarily Team Z
           suspension and chassis additions, 408 with
           nitrous in the works
2003 Mach 1: programer, exhaust, 4.10's
New addition: 1993 SHO (all stock)
Oneslow93LXXX
4 Banger

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 10:15:39 pm »

Here's my list of mods 306 10 1  srp pistions edel brock heads performer 1.94 valves 1.7rr  1 5/8 header ,no cats ,373 gear maunal trans, 24 lb injectors 70 mm tb 75pro m,  cold air fender well intake when i took it to the track i had mt drag radials I forget the size i dont even have them anymore i just have factory 5 stars on car. msd ignition 6al msd tfi coil msd wires ,bosch plat 4 iridium plugs.bcam  honestly didnt wanna go custom cam route i dont think it worth it for this motor i just thought about putting a nice used roller in it..if i advanced the cam  to 4 would i run better??? then it would now?? I usally shifted around 5500
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 11:20:43 pm »

if you are running 1.6 ratio rockers you can gain a little by going to 1.7 ratio (basically equals an "X" cam).

You didn't say what rpm you spin engine either.
Jeff

What do you mean by "gain a little"?  And if you don't know his rpm why suggest the larger ratio?

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
PJC Racing
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 12:34:08 pm »

if you are running 1.6 ratio rockers you can gain a little by going to 1.7 ratio (basically equals an "X" cam).

You didn't say what rpm you spin engine either.
Jeff

What do you mean by "gain a little"?  And if you don't know his rpm why suggest the larger ratio?

Dana, what I meant by "gain a little" was increased lift. Will it make a big difference? No, but there should be a small gain. I was going with tried and true combos that have been used with the "B" shaft, this was also what was recommended to me by one of the experts here for my similar "B" shaft combo.

As for rpm/ratio, maybe I have to learn more, but I don't see a relationship issue. Am I wrong? Please educate me (I mean no sarcasm, I am here to learn too).

Jeff

progress)
           nitrous in the works
Oneslow93LXXX
4 Banger

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 12:57:04 pm »

do you think taking it apart and advancing to 4 degrees or back to 0 or just leave it alone for now??
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 01:41:05 pm »

I would start with degreeing it first.... if you didn't when you installed it 2 deg. advanced. LUK

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
PJC Racing
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 01:58:22 pm »

You could try spinning the rpm alittle harder IMO. But like Joel said, the cam should be degreed, then I would go 4 deg advanced. Reportedly the alphabet cams can be pretty far off, If you used the crank sproket to advance the cam without degreeing it, you could still be retarded by 2 degrees.

I would also add a 100-150 hp shot of nitrous, but that's just me. Got NX?

Jeff

progress)
           nitrous in the works
Oneslow93LXXX
4 Banger

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 02:38:58 pm »

I used the cam sproket to degree it.
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 03:03:45 pm »

I used the cam sproket to degree it.
Degree the cam as in making sure the valves open/close based on the specs of the cam. You could be using the 2 deg. advance slot, when in reality the cam could be working with a 6 degrees advance..... or as explained at http://www.iskycams.com/degreeing.php

For example.... the last E303 cam I installed, is at 4 degrees advanced, even though the crankshaft gear slot that was used was the 0 deg. position.

ACRONYMS:

The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
Oneslow93LXXX
4 Banger

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 03:56:24 pm »

I dont wanna have to rip the entire engine apart again would I? If so that will suck..So degreeing would be the only way i can do it?
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 04:32:30 pm »

Nope.... intake, VC's and timing cover have to come off.

ACRONYMS:

pete
Rookie
2stroke

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 07:23:31 pm »

Dump that alphabet crap and go custom. Grin

Just kidding I couldn't resist.

I'm curious as to why you are shifting at 5500.  Do you lay over above that or do you feel the bottom end can't take it?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: