Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 13, 2019, 02:05:32 am

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435293 Posts in 37285 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Forced Induction
| | |-+ Roots & Twin-Screw
| | | |-+ Twin Eaton M90 supercharged 302
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twin Eaton M90 supercharged 302  (Read 18821 times)
67Merccat
6 Banger

« on: October 24, 2011, 01:23:06 pm »

I have a 67 302 block that I'm doing a experimental project involving two Eaton M90 superchargers, custom brackets and a new idea for intercooling (at least I think it is) I'm most likely going to be upgrading to a FMS Boss 302 block (for the 4 bolt mains)when its all said and done, but right now I'm just experimenting with my current block.   Internally balanced, main cap girdle, forged rotating assembly, Aluminum AFR heads, edelbrock mechanical fuel pump, long tubes headers,

Intake and fuel system I'm still on the fence.  Fuel injected would be great but it's costly, and a blow thru carb is hell to tune with a supercharger...any suggestions guys?

"I'm hotter than a rollin' dice, step right up chum as I lay down the rubber road to freedom!!!!!!!" - Nightrider
67Merccat
6 Banger

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 10:09:13 pm »

Okay I guess I'm on my own on this one.  Well here goes nothing...this is a junkyard Mod documented

Junkyard 87 Mustang 302 block
I chose this block because it has the Roller cam and the forged pistons and rods.
I don't know what to do about the crank just yet.  Forged is a maybe, but I've been told with supercharging its a must.

GT40 cast Iron heads
Edelbrock Torker single plane intake
1.6 roller rockers
Edelbrock mechanical fuel pump
I want a cam with no minimum overlap
Two m90 superchargers from buick rivieras mounted above the valve cover towards the front of the engine.
two intercoolers from 1987 Thunderbird turbo coupe
750 CFM holley carb
long tube headers
magnaflow mufflers
custom brackets and piping...

I'm currently working on cleaning up the block.  The water jackets are filled with rust and scale.  I'm using electrolysis to clean it, then I'll be honing the cylinders myself.
pics coming soon.

"I'm hotter than a rollin' dice, step right up chum as I lay down the rubber road to freedom!!!!!!!" - Nightrider
turbo2256
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 10:36:49 pm »

Think someone was doing this in a Grand Marquis or Crown Vic or something. If your going to try to intercoolit with the a/c.......
z06killinsbf
6 Banger

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 12:29:23 am »

Check out theturboforum.com for boosting info. Fuel system seems inadequate to me.
scienceguy
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 06:53:32 am »

Go to http://toohighpsi.com  scroll down to 'supercharged cars', and you'll see a thunderbird.  It has two Eaton blowers mounted side by side.  Click on the car, and you can look at all the pictures involving its build.  Very cool car, and was done about ten years ago, so there is a LOT of grass roots, home fab involved.  Should be a decent source of inspiration and ideas.  He used a 351W...  as those blocks are FAR more durable than a 302...  especially when it comes to a boosted application.

Good Luck!

1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
Pump Gas, Flat Tappet 306
9.88 @ 135.67
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 08:40:36 pm »

Look for some post of mine here. I have a eaton m112 on an 302. I will ppost a pic as I can find them

Ray
67Merccat
6 Banger

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 03:50:17 pm »

Let me not forget a main girdle too, this block's gonna need it.

@ turbo2256 Yeah I was reading up on a guy on this site http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8-engine-tech/1253086-eaton-m112-install-5-0-ltd-pics.html
He put it on an LTD

@z06killinsbf Yeah I think so too, fuel is going to need to be coming in at a higher pressure and I dont think the mechanical is gonna cut it.  Thinking about ditching the mechanical pump and going electric.  But how much fuel pressure do you think I need...I'll check the site out now.

@ scienceguy I'm all too familiar with toohighpsi he's the one who inspired the project.  I think he actually used to work at Eaton.  I wish I could get a hold of an 351, but it seems like there eveaporating in the junk yards as of recently, but I'll keep an eye out.

@wywindsor cool I'll search for your build. pics would be awesome the m112 is strong enough for the 302 where is the m90 has to work too hard to make a good boost, that why I'm using two.

z06killinsbf
6 Banger

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 04:01:43 pm »

You'll need a boost reference fuel pressure regulator. When you find a pump you think will work, go up one model bigger. But I must ask, why not some JY turbos? Or even an eBay turbo?
67Merccat
6 Banger

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 09:35:28 pm »

@706killinsbf Okay I see now, so it has to do with a regulator that can increase pressure as boost increases.  As far as Turbos, I'm gonna give that a whirl after I blow this engine up haha.  I found one in a Thunderbird Turbocoupe, The Grand Nationals got em too but good luck finding that in the junk yard.  We got one junk yard that has school buses with turbo but their too big to spool up to speed...I'll catch one soon though.

mighty mouse
"Prom King Mista Nathan Moonen"
Administrator
Big Block

I'll be the Judge of that

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 09:57:40 pm »

Dont waste your money or time with a forged crank in a stock block... and main girdles on thin wall 302 blocks are also a waste.

Otherwise - sounds fun!

1986 Mustang GT Convertible
Suspension and Differential by Team Z Motorsports
9.5 Deck Forged Stroker Shortblock by FordStrokers
Trick Flow High Ports and Super Vic EFI intake by Duane Busch

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
67Merccat
6 Banger

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 10:26:42 pm »

okay cool, I wasnt looking forward to that forged crank prices.  Main girdles is another cost I dont want to incur but I thought it would help 

turbo2256
Big Block

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 11:07:43 pm »

I have a 351 were are you located
67Merccat
6 Banger

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 09:38:02 am »

I'm in L.A,  is it a short block or long block?

67Merccat
6 Banger

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 09:00:23 pm »

okay so stopped by the junk yard today and took some of the piping from a 95 Thunderbird SC.  If I can find another one I'll be in biz.  Anyone know where I can get another turbocoupe  intercooler, the one I thought was coming turned out to be one of these Ebay scams...So I only have one right now.  The 95 Thunderbird had an intercooler but It doesn't match my application needs.

P.S any youtube vids on rebuilding the m90 Supercharger?  I know there going to need new bearings, oil, silicone coating and a coupler.

z06killinsbf
6 Banger

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 01:16:33 pm »

The eBay intercoolers are actually known for being quality pieces if you can use one.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: