Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2018, 12:20:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
435248 Posts in 37264 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots Cylinder Heads
| | |-+ Porting and Flow testing GT40 heads
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Porting and Flow testing GT40 heads  (Read 87362 times)
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2012, 10:30:42 pm »

what's an "e-tool"?

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,31096.0.html

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2012, 10:46:07 pm »

Wow... that sucks!
That's a bit farther into the bowl for me to get greedy.
I'll bet I can fix that with my TIG. Naughty

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2012, 10:53:20 pm »

Wow... that sucks!

I was just playing anyway. I only did it for the purpose of the thread.

I was using a straight cutter and it grabbed on something and jumped across the bowl. It didn't look like a hole at first. When I tried to blend it out, I could see small pinholes from the cutter. Then I just poked through.

Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
347HO
Section Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2012, 12:25:10 am »

Wow... that sucks!

I was just playing anyway. I only did it for the purpose of the thread.

I was using a straight cutter and it grabbed on something and jumped across the bowl. It didn't look like a hole at first. When I tried to blend it out, I could see small pinholes from the cutter. Then I just poked through.
Well....   if you were "listening", you now know what it sounds like when the metal is getting thin.
However, in the area you went through makes almost no change in sound...  not like the other areas away from the seat.

If you have a local Metal Seller, you should be able to take your head there and have it cut in a few places.  IMO, that's a huge knowledge builder.

If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2012, 12:37:45 am »

Found these here. It is obvious where I cut through.

I wasn't even working that area. I was working the short side when the bit jumped and gouged it (damn straight cutters!). I then tried to blend it out when I noticed the extent of the damage.

* Horizonyal cutaway.jpg (109.1 KB, 600x800 - viewed 3417 times.)

* Intake cutaway.jpg (59.65 KB, 896x592 - viewed 2456 times.)

* Exhaust cutaway.jpg (52.61 KB, 896x592 - viewed 2185 times.)

I honestly don't get it.

jayh
Big Block

« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2012, 08:16:23 am »

I tried to take a couple pics of an intake I was working on last night but they are total crap-

its about 80% done maybe Ill get some better pics out in the sun when its done

425" pump gas 6.2@110
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2012, 09:03:18 am »

425" pump gas 6.2@110
347HO
Section Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2012, 10:28:23 am »

I wasn't even working that area. I was working the short side when the bit jumped and gouged it (damn straight cutters!). I then tried to blend it out when I noticed the extent of the damage.
top picture shows really nice how you can increase the pushrod pinch cross section.
The bottom picture shows you CANNOT increase the height of the port very much, and he/she could have fixed the SSR much better to what Bill did to his.

Javier
vristang
Mr. Coffee
Global Moderator
Big Block

What I look like in a tie...

« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2012, 03:04:16 pm »

I have taken slighlty more off the high spot on divide wall, but not much. I need a way to measure the thickness before going any more. The main issue is a parting line down in that area, that is where it gets thin.
There's a reasonably priced sonic tester Cris told me about.  I'll have to dig up some of my old messages and find who made it, who sells it.

I bought one of these years back for looking at deck thickness...
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9656

From the reading I was able to take, and what I was able to verify with calipers.... it was within a couple .001"

- jason
Quote from: Albert Einstein
If we knew what we were doing, we wouldn’t call it research, would we?
Quote from: My Grandma
Find a young one, so you can raise her right.
347HO
Section Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2012, 04:04:03 pm »

Picture please...

Never mind...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=thickness+tester&_sacat=0&_odkw=metal+thickness+tester&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Javier
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2012, 06:14:06 pm »

top picture shows really nice how you can increase the pushrod pinch cross section.
The bottom picture shows you CANNOT increase the height of the port very much, and he/she could have fixed the SSR much better to what Bill did to his.

the bottom pic JC posted is an exhaust port. also that head was ported quite a bit before it was cut open. my guess would be they broke through, then decided to cut open for learning purposes. you can tell by the secondary air port that it was ported quite a bit

425" pump gas 6.2@110
David Claflin
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2013, 09:57:20 am »

Has anyone come across pics of a properly done exhaust bowl? I've got some Gt40's that I did, had Ray (Coulter Racing) run them on his bench Saturday. The intake turned out decent, but the exhaust needs more work in the bowl I think. I'm a little skittish about going into it more without at least pics or measurements for reference.
I intend to start a new thread that will be a compiliation of the different GT40 threads with actual before and after measurements, that might help out knuckleheads like me who are messing with the stock junk.

1990 Red LX, 306, 80MM, ported gt40's, ported explorer upper accufab longtubes, 3" exhaust, 4.30's, 336/331
1985 LTD LX 347, 205 11R's, TFS-R, 90MMTB, MAC 1 3/4" longtubes, 4R70W, mach 1 brakes
1988 GT long term project
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2013, 01:04:22 pm »

Because you cant get the throat to the right percentage and shape the short turn correctly without hitting water. So basically the bigger valve doesnt do anything.

I get this now 

425" pump gas 6.2@110
Outlaw Bill
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2013, 05:35:04 pm »

Has anyone come across pics of a properly done exhaust bowl? I've got some Gt40's that I did, had Ray (Coulter Racing) run them on his bench Saturday. The intake turned out decent, but the exhaust needs more work in the bowl I think. I'm a little skittish about going into it more without at least pics or measurements for reference.
I intend to start a new thread that will be a compiliation of the different GT40 threads with actual before and after measurements, that might help out knuckleheads like me who are messing with the stock junk.
The exhaust ports are tough. They like to sign off early at .500 lift. The short turn is the 100%  key to the exhaust port to work. My exhaust port only flows 160cfm(no pipe) at .500 lift then rolls over after that, its all in the short turn.

www.TeamZmotorsports.net

TeamZmotorsports 25.2 outlaw drag radial stock suspension 1991 Mustang
Thank You to the following for their help
TeamZmotorsports
Marcella Manifolds
Schoneck Composite
Ultimate Converter Concepts

"Stupid is as stupid does", "You can't fix stupid"
"Common sense is not common"
David Claflin
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #134 on: April 02, 2013, 07:17:56 am »

The exhaust ports are tough. They like to sign off early at .500 lift. The short turn is the 100%  key to the exhaust port to work. My exhaust port only flows 160cfm(no pipe) at .500 lift then rolls over after that, its all in the short turn.
On the one I did the exhaust went to 180 @ .400 and then tapered off to 168 @ .700. I was hoping there was more to be had there because the bowl looks like it should be a little bigger on the one side, but I don't want to hit water with it.

1990 Red LX, 306, 80MM, ported gt40's, ported explorer upper accufab longtubes, 3" exhaust, 4.30's, 336/331
1985 LTD LX 347, 205 11R's, TFS-R, 90MMTB, MAC 1 3/4" longtubes, 4R70W, mach 1 brakes
1988 GT long term project
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: