Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2018, 10:45:43 am

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435157 Posts in 37249 Topics by 9534 Members
Latest Member: 88_GT
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Membership Tech
| |-+ DIY'er Tricks of the Trade
| | |-+ 4 Cyl T5 swap
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 4 Cyl T5 swap  (Read 26132 times)
347Cobra
4 Banger

Sic of my 85 mph speedo,what's the point.

« on: March 14, 2011, 02:23:46 am »

I've done the 4 cyl T5 into 5.0 swap. I know Iknow, I am going to hear the "oh you cant do that 'cause the 4 banger T5 wont handle it" or "it wont fit" 

Well It will fit. I have always been on a tight budget and I acquired a '90 GT one time with a noisy T5. I bought a rebuild kit for it and when I disassembled it it needed a countershaft too. So I was stranded. I went to my local "pick-a-part" and tried to find the 5.0 T5, with no luck and having to be to work the next day I opted for the 4 cyl T5. Well I did not know the Input shaft tip was smaller. Same splines,length but the tip was smaller (pilot tip). The gearset in the 4 cyl is taller, main bearing on input was larger, and the countershaft wouldn't work 'cause of the ratio difference.

Here is the trick, grab a old school brass pilot bushing, drill to spec of small pilot for the 4 cyl T5, and JB weld it in the brass. I stuck a aluminum bushing behind it in the crank to keep the thrust in control. And now you have a good tranny. Another goody was the ratio difference was like going from 3.42 gear to a 3.73.   The 4cyl T5 is rated for 245 lb torque, The stock 5.0 T5 is 300. I put 20,000 mi on that 4 cyl T5 with my basically stock 302 (CAI,tb,spacer,long tubes,2.5" full bassani) That 20 k on were hard too. 3000 rpm launches from time to time, no problem ever. Not everybody is as poor as I used to be, but I figured if it would help someone, I'd throw out there for you

Watch for signs of ICRD syndrome, (Inverted Cranial Rectum Disease) Been going around lately....
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 03:36:12 am »

I don't remember the part number, but there is a bearing avaliable that fits. I had a 4 cyl trans from a SVO in my 84 GT, Advance Auto was able to match one up for me.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
mighty mouse
"Prom King Mista Nathan Moonen"
Administrator
Big Block

I'll be the Judge of that

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 11:24:22 am »

I don't remember the part number, but there is a bearing avaliable that fits. I had a 4 cyl trans from a SVO in my 84 GT, Advance Auto was able to match one up for me.

Clutch-in! part number 14672

1986 Mustang GT Convertible
Suspension and Differential by Team Z Motorsports
9.5 Deck Forged Stroker Shortblock by FordStrokers
Trick Flow High Ports and Super Vic EFI intake by Duane Busch

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
347Cobra
4 Banger

Sic of my 85 mph speedo,what's the point.

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 07:30:19 pm »

Good to know now, My oreilly's had no idea what I was talking about as usual when asked for the conversion bearing. Just like the other time I put a s195 FMS alum. shaft in my '90 I needed the U-joints 1330's one way and 1350's the other. They all played dumb

Watch for signs of ICRD syndrome, (Inverted Cranial Rectum Disease) Been going around lately....
frankstang
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 06:03:40 am »

Early Diesel Ranger pilot bushing/bearing works if I'm not mistaken.

1988 Ford Ranger 5.0, 5 speed, 3:73 8.8 rear, ported E7.
1979 Fairmont Wagon 347,Trick Flow 205,5 speed, and 3:08 gears, for now!
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 06:57:43 am »

They all played dumb

They aren't playing.  Whistling

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
HIGHVOLTJ
Big Block

Goin' old school

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 06:36:33 pm »

They all played dumb

They aren't playing.  Whistling

That ain't no shit!

Pilot bearing from an early 90's Mazda B2200 or B2600 is what you want, I don't remember which, I converted my 4 cyl. fox to a 5.0 and kept the stock trans.  That first gear was LOW!

1994 Lightning #2978 - SOLD!!!
1989 LX 5.0 5-speed Coupe - SOLD!!!
1990 LX 5.0 5-speed Hatch - new Daily
1977 F150 RCLB 2wd - 400 build in the works
Captbb56
Small Block

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 06:47:36 am »

I was told a desel Mazda pickup. The guys on Four Eyed Pride know this stuff. I've been granny shifting mine for 700 miles now. 

Barryb
347 Four Eyed Foxbody - Learning how to make more power thru SBFTech
justin73
2stroke

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 10:39:35 pm »

I put one in a 88 ft did not change the pilot bearing and it ran fine no noises or anything.
Cobra109
Small Block

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 10:06:14 am »

[/quote                                                                                                                  Mighty    If you dont mind ,  do you have a brand name to go with part #?   
Mr.Blue
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 11:03:30 am »

[/quote                                                                                                                  Mighty    If you dont mind ,  do you have a brand name to go with part #?   

Autozone...............Dorman/Clutch 14672...........$13.99..............

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Clutch-Pilot-Bearing/_/N-6o22x?filterByKeyWord=14672&fromString=search&isSearchByPartNumber=true

Also be aware of this................

One last piece of important information. ALL World Class T-5 use ATF oil and NOT heavy gear oil or RedlineMTL! All NON-World Class T-5 use 70 wt gear oil.

Rodney Tolleson/VP SBFTech van club
Cobra109
Small Block

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 01:25:32 pm »

THANKS Mr Blue ,  My son is about to make use of this Info.
HIGHVOLTJ
Big Block

Goin' old school

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 01:21:53 pm »

[/quote                                                                                                                  Mighty    If you dont mind ,  do you have a brand name to go with part #?  

Autozone...............Dorman/Clutch 14672...........$13.99..............

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Clutch-Pilot-Bearing/_/N-6o22x?filterByKeyWord=14672&fromString=search&isSearchByPartNumber=true

Also be aware of this................

One last piece of important information. ALL World Class T-5 use ATF oil and NOT heavy gear oil or RedlineMTL! All NON-World Class T-5 use 70 wt gear oil.

You sure on that Mr. Blue?  My '89 had ATF in it at 70K miles and I don't think it had ever been changed.  Replaced it with ATF and no issues.  It was a 4-cyl car, so NWC

1994 Lightning #2978 - SOLD!!!
1989 LX 5.0 5-speed Coupe - SOLD!!!
1990 LX 5.0 5-speed Hatch - new Daily
1977 F150 RCLB 2wd - 400 build in the works
Mr.Blue
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 01:45:29 pm »

You sure on that Mr. Blue?  My '89 had ATF in it at 70K miles and I don't think it had ever been changed.  Replaced it with ATF and no issues.  It was a 4-cyl car, so NWC

Yes, i'm pretty sure lol..............they originally came with/called for dexron II but after it was phased out BW/Tremec listed 70w gear oil as its replacement...............

Rodney Tolleson/VP SBFTech van club
68mustang405
Big Block

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 09:09:08 pm »

89 woulda been world class 4cyl or v8.

68 Mustang 310 twisted wedge 170, tfs1, weiand stealth, 1.6 rr t5 3.55s with a locker, a/c and all the creature comforts.

On a serious note.. wagon made 3000hp on the dyno
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: