Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 12:00:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
414206 Posts in 35428 Topics by 8862 Members
Latest Member: StevenR422
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Transmissions/Differentials
| | |-+ Gears/Differential
| | | |-+ at what poit is a full floating rear end needed?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: at what poit is a full floating rear end needed?  (Read 2945 times)
aussiewinza
Stroked Small Block

« on: February 21, 2011, 07:05:47 pm »

hey guys just about to get diff sorted for my car, was goin to go a strange 35 spline but have just recently learnd that to drive a car on the street (legaly) with a 10 inch rim you must use a full floating rear end.

so basicaly is a full floating set up any more ineficent? any other pros or cons?
i know that cost is up a little  and im assuming weight is to?
will be running split mono leafs (calvert racing) and caltracs.
thanks in advance guys.

if it aint fun why bother!!!!
aussiewinza
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 02:44:18 am »

any info guys? whats every one else running?

mxracer652
I'm Brendan, not Brandon!
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 07:33:39 am »

It's a whole helluva lot of hassle and pesos for something that isn't needed, IMO.  The whole idea of a floating axle is to take the vehicle weight off of the axle, which isn't what breaks axles in go fast cars.

86 LTD wagon, stock longblock 302 & 70mm turbo
95 Ranger + 302/362 + 4 link
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,26347.0.html
Fordota
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

I believe Dana thinks they landed on the moon

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 11:24:27 am »

Right, I am with Brendan. That doesn't make any sense to me. A full float 9" over a SF 9" will only benefit by being able to support more load over the axle. And if the axle breaks it will still support the load. Rotational strength comes from shaft material, profile, diameter, # style and pitch of splines.

Rotational strength is only marginally better in a FF if shafts are equal. That is the reason I didnt do one in my rig.

"I want to cheat, but remain in the grey area... not a full blown rat bastard cheater." -347HO

418w + 93 toyota pickup - check it out @  http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,15697.30.html
aussiewinza
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 02:26:42 am »

yeah thats exactly what im thinking, id just doesnt make sence to me, but to make it legal (engineer would have to certyify it) it must be full floating if you run a ten inch rim.......now personaly if there is no real gain in going FF  im thinking that id be fine, im going to go 35 spline minimum and either strange or mark williams most likley.

it will be a huge pain in the ass if i get picked tho and have to re do the rear end.

the ff i was looking at if i had to go that way was romac or strange? any one used either?

also looking at willwood brakes front and rear

thanks for letting me bounce some ideas and your opinions are appreciated

Fordota
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 10:04:17 am »

Can you just run a 9.5" rim or something like that for a while to get around your licencing?

I wouldn't feel bad about that. That rule is retarded and will double the cost of your rear.

"I want to cheat, but remain in the grey area... not a full blown rat bastard cheater." -347HO

418w + 93 toyota pickup - check it out @  http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,15697.30.html
aussiewinza
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 01:06:59 am »

ahhh, yeah well i could have but i messed up an bought my rims and tyres so i could set up the tubs and rear chassis, ithis is before i found out from an engineer that if i want it certified with the 10 inch rim i need full floating rear.

to be honest im very tempted to just wait and see if i get picked for it.......

the only other thing is if for some reason i did break an axel the full floater would at least hold the wheel captive.?

is there a rough guide as to what power levels you should start lookingat a full floater?

Fordota
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 10:46:22 am »

That was what I was meaning; borrow some rims and tires or buy a cheap pair and wait to see if you get picked. (your going to have plenty of full float money to use)

The FF would hold the axle captive but so would a 9" style with bolt in axle retainers or C clip eliminators. Your just trying to get safely stopped, not get towed 600 miles with a broken axle. Way overkill on any car IMHO.

I dont think there is a guide on power levels because it does not have to do with power. It has to do with gross weight upon the axle.

Is this a road race car or something? Or are you just trying to get it licensed for the street?

speedoo51
Big Block

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 10:54:42 am »

I'd talk to another engineer, unless you've seen the requirement in writing..To me it sounds like its a rule for axle tonnage, like they [factory] rate the axles in trucks...

Seb
aussiewinza
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 01:52:11 am »

yeah just trying to get it licenced for the street, car is still registered so wont be inspected unless im picked for somthing, and ill look into it more but thats the registration rules for my state as far as i know. crap hey!!!!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: