Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2018, 07:17:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435248 Posts in 37264 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Library Tech Library Tech
| |-+ Tech Articles/Sticky's Section
| | |-+ Engine 101 Video Room
| | | |-+ Ford F150 EcoBoost V6 Engine Torture/Durability Tests
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ford F150 EcoBoost V6 Engine Torture/Durability Tests  (Read 39454 times)
scienceguy
Big Block

« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2011, 07:01:34 am »

What about what I know about you on the net for several years now would make me begin to believe that you'd buy anything remotely considered a newer truck?  Not meant as a slam.  Just saying.

My point exactly.  Any truck I buy will be at least 10 years old.  By then, you know what's good and what isn't.  People spending tens of thousands of dollars on a TRUCK just blows my mind.  At that, they will get 4 door trucks with tiny 5ft beds on them that aren't really much good for anything truck related.  Heck, and they'll play close to $40k for one of those! 

Some people pay all that money for a truck, because they need a truck.  Many others buy a truck and just use it as a car.  They just want the 'image' of a truck, and use about any silly justification to get it...  when a car that would cost half as much, cost half as much to fuel and maintain, and would actually suit them much better.  Add a trailer hitch and a foldable 4'x8' trailer, and they'd have a much handier setup for those RARE occasions that they need to haul something.

Ironically, the people I mention above are the ones that often have 'used, but not used up' trucks with low miles...  as they often tend to gravitate towards driving their car instead of their truck in town, as it's much less of a hassle.   Smiley

1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
Pump Gas, Flat Tappet 306
9.88 @ 135.67
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2011, 11:35:52 am »

I could give a shit.
If I like something...  new or used, I'm going to buy it at the lowest price, best value I find at the end of my "research".

I'm too old to be playing the "buy used" with everything.  I've done that for more than half my life.  My kids are almost secure for College, family is taken care of in case of my absence/death...  I'm going to start to enjoy my hard work and savings.

If it breaks...  take it back.  That's why the location/place/owner you buy from is just as important as the product sold.  "Customer Service"!

I'm not "taking away" from the common sense people are posting here...   but there comes a time in your life that "if" you've taken care of business and family, then start to enjoy the life you've reaped/sowed.

btw, that 5' bed...   my 4x4 truck turns a radius just as tight as any midsize car, pulls a 26' trailer and car, and what doesn't fit in the bed, certainly fits inside 26'x8'x9'...   and decent gas mileage.

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
68mustang405
Big Block

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2011, 12:52:23 pm »

While I think it is stupid to buy a brand new vehicle, I don't see the point in buying a 10 year old one. First off, how do you know if the maintanance was kept up on it? Even with perfect maintanance a 10 year old truck is still going to have stuff that wears out on it that noone can stop. I'm just using 10 years as an example. I drive a 99 jeep wrangler that had 76k before i bought it two years ago.. I would never buy one new. A wrangler has to be the WORSE new vehicle buy. They do keep their value though. Just way overpriced.

68 Mustang 310 twisted wedge 170, tfs1, weiand stealth, 1.6 rr t5 3.55s with a locker, a/c and all the creature comforts.

On a serious note.. wagon made 3000hp on the dyno
93yelLE
6 Banger

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2011, 12:55:29 pm »

I don't like the idea of buying a car and relying on a warranty.  I think it was Hyundai that was the first to offer the 10yr/100k mile warranty, but from what some friends have said and what I've read, trying to get them to fulfill it was near impossible.

I'm usually all for buying used cars, but I've been driving a lower mileage fleet crown vic for a few years now (far from the most exciting car a guy in his early 30's could have)  and have an 83 F100 for chores - but it won't tow either of my play/project cars.  I was thinking of consolidating the both of them and just getting myself something a bit nicer as a DD.  My problem is spending $ on something I don't have my heart completely set on.  Again, if they'd offer it in a reg cab/short bed for $25-26k, and throw in a free alignment after I lowered it, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.  Otherwise, I may wait until gas goes back to $4+/gal and pick up a 3.7 stx or the like in a year or two.

Funny all the arm chair quarterbacks think its no big deal, well they have no clue what it takes to engineer and build those type of engines.

You have any connections Bill?  I'm open to changing industries and willing to find out if it didn't hit the ol' salary 'too' bad...
Outlaw Bill
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2011, 06:14:29 pm »

Not worth it to lose my job, I can't comment any further.

www.TeamZmotorsports.net

TeamZmotorsports 25.2 outlaw drag radial stock suspension 1991 Mustang
Thank You to the following for their help
TeamZmotorsports
Marcella Manifolds
Schoneck Composite
Ultimate Converter Concepts

"Stupid is as stupid does", "You can't fix stupid"
"Common sense is not common"
liljoe07
"Gentleman Joe"
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

Feed your MILD side

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2011, 06:29:23 pm »

Thats why I changed my post. And called it good.

89 Coupe:
347- Canfield 195's, Holley Systemax II, Jones Cam, 3" Exhaust, 3" Spintechs, QuarterHorse, BE/EA

Well since you friggin disagree with every damn suggestion, just rebuild the piece of shit.
cobra5L307
Small Block

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2011, 07:28:34 pm »

Just thought id throw in a comment. Saw the f-150 eco boost, havent read the entire thread but read the last few, i bought a 2004 f-150 with the 4.6L v8. Thing doesnt have much power, but gets me around, and is extremely reliable. I havent had one problem with it yet other than brake pads wearing down and having to replace them, and changing oil every 5thousand k's. Its a great 4x4 also. Fun truck actualy....I remember before i got it i wasnt sure cuz its new and blah blah...money money..but other than gas and maintenance is all the money i spend on it, never broke down yet, nothing like that. And im at 100 thousand km's on it. As far as warranties go though, BS..I would never get the warranty again..well not afull coverage one for 7 years ever again. The thing neever breaks down, and the shit you pay money for is just maintiance which they dont do on warranties like brakes ect..And shit  i payed a whole lot extra just for the warranty...but by the time something actualy breaks warranty is gona be over lol..I just wish my car ran like my truck does lol

1989 5.0L Mustang
93yelLE
6 Banger

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2011, 12:55:15 pm »

Really?  The companies I've worked for reward direct employees for referring talent.  Seems like a strange business model to threaten for referrals....  I'd be concerned about working for a company that had such practices.  On the other hand, this mentality might explain a lot of the problems Detroit's had recently.

Nevermind, I'll continue to armchair and engineer simple 747s.  Good luck.
Outlaw Bill
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2011, 01:29:39 pm »

Really?  The companies I've worked for reward direct employees for referring talent.  Seems like a strange business model to threaten for referrals....  I'd be concerned about working for a company that had such practices.  On the other hand, this mentality might explain a lot of the problems Detroit's had recently.

Nevermind, I'll continue to armchair and engineer simple 747s.  Good luck.
I can't say anything technical,...................thats where we can lose our job. I can say its a rock solid engine packeage. Ford has spent millions of dollars on the ECO boost technology, and it shows. I would buy one if I had the money, but I don't.

www.TeamZmotorsports.net

TeamZmotorsports 25.2 outlaw drag radial stock suspension 1991 Mustang
Thank You to the following for their help
TeamZmotorsports
Marcella Manifolds
Schoneck Composite
Ultimate Converter Concepts

"Stupid is as stupid does", "You can't fix stupid"
"Common sense is not common"
90lxcoupe
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2011, 03:10:11 pm »

Kinda off topic, but I usually buy new cars.    I will drive it till it is nearly worhtless.  I go through about 30,000 miles a year.  So even if I drive it to 180,000, I only get six years out of it.   My experience has been ~ 120,000 expensive shit starts to go wrong.  If I bought something cheap with a lot of miles it would last long.  Cheap used aint what it used to be, my dad got $4500 for a 2001 180,000 mile Lariat Super Crew 4x4.   

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. 

It's good to know how to read, but it's dangerous to know how to read and not how to interpret what you're reading.
Mike Tyson

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.
Mike Tyson
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: