Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2018, 06:08:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
435157 Posts in 37249 Topics by 9534 Members
Latest Member: 88_GT
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Library Tech Library Tech
| |-+ Tech Articles/Sticky's Section
| | |-+ Engine 101 Video Room
| | | |-+ Ford F150 EcoBoost V6 Engine Torture/Durability Tests
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ford F150 EcoBoost V6 Engine Torture/Durability Tests  (Read 38069 times)
95GTspeeddemon
Big Block

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 11:04:46 pm »

blah blah blah lol too much to read lol

they did list gearing in the videos though.

95gt, stock forged 302 shirtblock, canfield 195's, canfield efi intake; efi sheetmetal elbow, xe258 (208/216 .550), 90mm accufab TB, 69mm gt45, 3in cold side, a/a intercooler, water injection, ba5000 maf, 80lb injectors, moates quarterhorse, stock manifold modified & a log manifold, twin 2in up pipes, 60mm wg, 3.5 dp dumped, 14psi, 3.27s, solid bushing rear upper/lower team z suspension, team z tubular k member and A arms, front coil overs with strange 10 way all the way around. TKO600, stock flywheel, ram replacement pressure plate and kevlar/organic disc. 450rwhp 12.39 @ 123.5mph 3400lbs
93yelLE
6 Banger

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 10:47:56 pm »

Forgot about this thread.

Drove a 4 door Platinum 4x4, loaded - stupid $ for a half ton truck. 

It was actually exactly what I expected it to be - little to no lag.  Enough torque at part throttle to pull the pig around w/o having to floor it.  Quite a bit of wheelhop through 1st gear.  0-70 is decievingly quick for such a big vehicle - and quiet.

Ford employed some guys to drive these trucks around the country, stopping at predetermined locations for potential customers to drive them.  The guy that brought the truck to me said that in perfect conditions (flat highway, no wind), he's been able to acheive 25 mpg at interstate speeds.  W/ the increased efficiency w/ the direct injection and higher compression ratio, this doesn't seem unreasonable, regardless of what the EPA rated them at (heard that the cycle used for testing isn't favorable to turbocharged engines, which may hold some truth based on the mileage my dad's WRX gets vs what it's rated at). 

I understand where scienceguy is coming from - let someone else do the testing w/ their money - none of us here are rich or we wouldn't be playing w/ old American cars.  On the other hand, in this economic climate, I think it too risky for Ford to make claims they can't back up on their cash cow F150 - also these engines are seen in other Ford products (diff config/tune, yes, but ultimately the same) and I don't know that there've been any issues. There's nothing revolutionary about the technology in these engines, it's just the first time a manufacturer has tried this combination of 'tech' in a vehicle like this. 

I do have some general criticisms - I'm actually disappointed that manufacturers think 1/2 ton trucks need to be capable of towing so much.  Trucks are way too large anymore in my opinion.  Hard to park, dangerous to other drivers.  I'm 6'3", a relatively muscular 270 lbs, and I find them hard to load and hard to get in and out of.  I can't imagine being 5'8" or less and dealing w/ one.  I don't need to tow 10,000+ lbs (and have never seen anyone, really), just a car and trailer every now and then.  If I towed more, I'd just buy a 3/4 or 1 ton.  Tell me again why I need to literally climb into a 2wd truck?  Small penis? Status symbol? Somekind of inferiority complex? I just don't get it.
68mustang405
Big Block

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 11:06:43 pm »

My penis grows everytime i get into a big truck. It might be because they're just so damn awesome!  Spt at PC

Lol but I get what you mean.

68 Mustang 310 twisted wedge 170, tfs1, weiand stealth, 1.6 rr t5 3.55s with a locker, a/c and all the creature comforts.

On a serious note.. wagon made 3000hp on the dyno
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 11:21:31 pm »

I understand where scienceguy is coming from - let someone else do the testing w/ their money - none of us here are rich or we wouldn't be playing w/ old American cars.  On the other hand, in this economic climate, I think it too risky for Ford to make claims they can't back up on their cash cow F150 - also these engines are seen in other Ford products (diff config/tune, yes, but ultimately the same) and I don't know that there've been any issues. There's nothing revolutionary about the technology in these engines, it's just the first time a manufacturer has tried this combination of 'tech' in a vehicle like this. 

Yet.... that is exactly what Ford Smilie 2 has been doing for the past 4 years .... finally!... Phew .... and intelligently. They are not only using the aftermarket as a low cost development alternative, they are financing it equally beneficial for both + the economy.

In addition.... they have learned that when you do make the public and customer an open team member .... they both win! Or do you think that tech development w/out the direct input of a receiving (and anxious) market would be that successful?....  Don't ...no

For example.... if Ford Smilie 2 decided to really teach something in the windsor style PR design area over the LSx dominant arena.... all they have to do is ask. I know a few resources that would play it a la movie release gains style, simply for the hell of it...... and that also have the intelligence not to fall under the "apples to apples" Bullshit Flag misconception.

Or simply said.... Ford Smilie 2 .... put the money and tech/manufacturing/validating/certification resources to your standards available....... there are a few Ford Smilie 2 nuts out here that have a discussion to settle at the performance ring (you pick it) in the PR engine design area.

However.... assuming a "wait and see" approach is nor scientific, nor productive for this vice of ours...... unless you are very comfortable being a follower...... that is. 

Thumper Cool?

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
stokeemifgotem
6 Banger

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 11:45:53 pm »

these videos rock! I've seen many engines not make it 1/4 mile on the track. This one made it a little further while towing 11k lbs. Wow.

All this technology and no bailout from uncle sam, what gives?

I would have no issues buying one of these right out of the gate. I guess if you want to wait 10 years until it is proven in "real world" conditions, go for it. By then I'll have the new engine that is a 4 cylinder making the same power with less fuel.  Whistling

Jeremy
Outlaw Bill
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2011, 11:58:38 pm »

Those 3.5 ECO Boost engines are strong as heck. If I had the money, I would have one in a heart beat. Funny all the arm chair quarterbacks think its no big deal, well they have no clue what it takes to engineer and build those type of engines.

www.TeamZmotorsports.net

TeamZmotorsports 25.2 outlaw drag radial stock suspension 1991 Mustang
Thank You to the following for their help
TeamZmotorsports
Marcella Manifolds
Schoneck Composite
Ultimate Converter Concepts

"Stupid is as stupid does", "You can't fix stupid"
"Common sense is not common"
scienceguy
Big Block

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2011, 12:01:28 am »

However.... assuming a "wait and see" approach is nor scientific, nor productive for this vice of ours...... unless you are very comfortable being a follower...... that is.

I've personally never purchased a brand new vehicle in my life.  I can't stand the thought of dropping tens of thousands of dollars on any vehicle...  especially one that is going to drop several thousand dollars in value the very day I drive it off the lot.

I don't like car payments.  If I MUST have a car payment, it will not be a big one, and will be 2-3 years max.  When I bought my wife's car, the salesman didn't know what to think when I dropped a $5k down on an $11k used vehicle and wanted a very short loan term.  To me, a new car just isn't worth what they charge for them...   especially one that has no proven history.

How many people bought the hyped, but lemon prone Mercury Cougar when they first came out?  How many people bought the Pontiac Fiero for big bucks when they first hit the market?  How many people out there threw down $50k to own 6.0L and 6.4L Ford diesel trucks...  just to wish they bought a Duramax, or a used 7.3L for half the money?

I certainly hope this turbo V6 is all that it's hyped to be, and more.  I really do.  I'm just not going to drop that kind of coin in ANY new vehicle...  let alone an untested one.  My style for something that is going to serve as utility or daily transportation...  is to do my research to find out what has a good track record, and then find a nice pre-owned example that isn't all used up.  I'll then drive the wheels off it until it's got well over 200k miles...   the vast majority of which with NO LOAN PAYMENTS.  Of course, to each his own.  Without new car buyers, I wouldn't have anything to buy.  Smiley

I also think the bedsides for these new trucks are WAY too high to be practical.  I've got a 1999 Dodge Caravan that our inlaws gave us a few years ago.  It is AWESOME for hauling building materials, etc.  It carries things inside the weather.  You can lay 4x8 sheets of plywood in the floor with the seats removed, while stacking them up about as high as you want.  I've even hauled 16ft boards in it!  There's no center console, so if they are slid up between the seats, they can slide almost all the way to the firewall!  I had my son sit inside on the 16ft boards to make sure they were secure, but 12ft boards are zero problem, even without a spotter.  Try THAT with a 1/2 ton truck, especially with those short, little beds most come with!  As a bonus, the van is EASY to load and unload.  The back opens WAY up, and is very low...  Plus, both side doors open for almost unlimited access.   It also gets 20+mpg.  You can buy them for around $2k or less all day long.  When I buy lumber, I get a kick out of the guys there with $40k 4-door trucks with those little sawed off beds trying to carry pretty much ANYTHING.  LOL!  But, hey...  I guess they 'look' cool.  

Whatever works!   Whistling

1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
Pump Gas, Flat Tappet 306
9.88 @ 135.67
scienceguy
Big Block

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2011, 12:03:40 am »

Funny all the arm chair quarterbacks think its no big deal, well they have no clue what it takes to engineer and build those type of engines.

And work on them when they need a new head gasket or turbo...

You ever read about what it takes to work on the newer Ford turbo diesels?  Now, THAT will scare ya!   

1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
Pump Gas, Flat Tappet 306
9.88 @ 135.67
liljoe07
"Gentleman Joe"
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

Feed your MILD side

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2011, 12:10:52 am »

Being that Bill works for Ford, I doubt he has to read about it. I'm sure he could see for himself. Grin

89 Coupe:
347- Canfield 195's, Holley Systemax II, Jones Cam, 3" Exhaust, 3" Spintechs, QuarterHorse, BE/EA

Well since you friggin disagree with every damn suggestion, just rebuild the piece of shit.
Outlaw Bill
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2011, 12:32:27 am »

#1 I do not work for Ford.

www.TeamZmotorsports.net

TeamZmotorsports 25.2 outlaw drag radial stock suspension 1991 Mustang
Thank You to the following for their help
TeamZmotorsports
Marcella Manifolds
Schoneck Composite
Ultimate Converter Concepts

"Stupid is as stupid does", "You can't fix stupid"
"Common sense is not common"
95GTspeeddemon
Big Block

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2011, 12:45:11 am »

I do, and the 6.0 and 6.4 and ford warranty is the only reason the diesel techs can still afford to drive to work.

i wish anyone that spends 30K plus on a F150 the best of luck lol

95gt, stock forged 302 shirtblock, canfield 195's, canfield efi intake; efi sheetmetal elbow, xe258 (208/216 .550), 90mm accufab TB, 69mm gt45, 3in cold side, a/a intercooler, water injection, ba5000 maf, 80lb injectors, moates quarterhorse, stock manifold modified & a log manifold, twin 2in up pipes, 60mm wg, 3.5 dp dumped, 14psi, 3.27s, solid bushing rear upper/lower team z suspension, team z tubular k member and A arms, front coil overs with strange 10 way all the way around. TKO600, stock flywheel, ram replacement pressure plate and kevlar/organic disc. 450rwhp 12.39 @ 123.5mph 3400lbs
liljoe07
"Gentleman Joe"
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

Feed your MILD side

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2011, 12:48:32 am »

Well shit Bill! Grin

89 Coupe:
347- Canfield 195's, Holley Systemax II, Jones Cam, 3" Exhaust, 3" Spintechs, QuarterHorse, BE/EA

Well since you friggin disagree with every damn suggestion, just rebuild the piece of shit.
FordRacing250
Big Block

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2011, 12:56:22 am »

hes a ninja, does top secret testing for all... lol

RaceTec Pistons
tim@racetecpistons.com
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2011, 12:58:11 am »

Well shit Bill! Grin

I believe what has been said is that he helps operate a dyno that does testing for Ford.  I'm guessing his pay checks don't come directly from FoMoCo.

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2011, 02:49:45 am »

I've personally never purchased a brand new vehicle in my life.  I can't stand the thought of dropping tens of thousands of dollars on any vehicle...  especially one that is going to drop several thousand dollars in value the very day I drive it off the lot.

I don't like car payments.  If I MUST have a car payment, it will not be a big one, and will be 2-3 years max.  When I bought my wife's car, the salesman didn't know what to think when I dropped a $5k down on an $11k used vehicle and wanted a very short loan term.  To me, a new car just isn't worth what they charge for them...   especially one that has no proven history.

I have never bought myself a new vehicle.  I like the way you think about it financially.  Just not buying the first run deal.  There are significant bumper to bumper warranties these days which should off set any fear of "problems" with first run engineering.

I, like you, would wait to buy one used.  My reason is solely because I'm cheap, hate interest on luxuries, and trust the maintenance I perform on my vehicles as well as my driving style to allow them to hold up.  Nothing to do with first run engineering.  Heck, if you buy one with 60,000 miles how are you assured there isn't a major problem that appears at around 150,000 miles?  You can play that "what if" game all you want.  Warranties are darn good these days in case you haven't noticed.

I have been a part of two new car purchases.  First was helping my wife (girlfriend at the time) with the down payment on a new base model Honda Civic at the tail end of college when she couldn't justify daily driving her '70 Pontiac GTO anymore.  This was right around '98.  Great car for what we needed.  Second was my wife's current car which is the first year of the Pontiac G8 GT (sort of a make up move for letting her sell that GTO).  Guess I'm a sucker for that girl I'm in love with. Grin

I also think the bedsides for these new trucks are WAY too high to be practical.  I've got a 1999 Dodge Caravan that our inlaws gave us a few years ago.  It is AWESOME for hauling building materials, etc.  It carries things inside the weather.  You can lay 4x8 sheets of plywood in the floor with the seats removed, while stacking them up about as high as you want.  I've even hauled 16ft boards in it!  There's no center console, so if they are slid up between the seats, they can slide almost all the way to the firewall!  I had my son sit inside on the 16ft boards to make sure they were secure, but 12ft boards are zero problem, even without a spotter.  Try THAT with a 1/2 ton truck, especially with those short, little beds most come with!  As a bonus, the van is EASY to load and unload.  The back opens WAY up, and is very low...  Plus, both side doors open for almost unlimited access.   It also gets 20+mpg.  You can buy them for around $2k or less all day long.  When I buy lumber, I get a kick out of the guys there with $40k 4-door trucks with those little sawed off beds trying to carry pretty much ANYTHING.  LOL!  But, hey...  I guess they 'look' cool.   

Whatever works!   Whistling

I also, for the life of me, don't understand the higher and higher beds.  Especially when they incline as they go towards the cabin.  That Honda truck is ridiculous in this regard.  How do you explain that other than placing looks (I think it looks terrible!) before function?  Disgust

Mike, have you ever heard of a lumber rack???  They're cheap and even easy to make.  Plus, a heck of a lot safer and more practical than loading up a mini van like it seems you're describing.  Make one for the '70's something Chevy truck you have.

What about what I know about you on the net for several years now would make me begin to believe that you'd buy anything remotely considered a newer truck?  Not meant as a slam.  Just saying.

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: