Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2018, 07:26:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435248 Posts in 37264 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Library Tech Library Tech
| |-+ Tech Articles/Sticky's Section
| | |-+ Engine 101 Video Room
| | | |-+ Ford F150 EcoBoost V6 Engine Torture/Durability Tests
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ford F150 EcoBoost V6 Engine Torture/Durability Tests  (Read 39456 times)
95GTspeeddemon
Big Block

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 02:33:52 pm »

What gearing did the Ford have in the clip?
Mine has 3.73.  mpg took a small hit, but the six speeds with two overdrives still has me on 1800rpm @ 70mph.
[/quote]
the chevy had lower gearing, wonder how much it effected it. Do they make a 6.2L gas in those trucks? wonder how the race would have gone then.
What gearing did the Ford have in the clip?
Mine has 3.73.  mpg took a small hit, but the six speeds with two overdrives still has me on 1800rpm @ 70mph.
ford had 3.73, chevy had 3.4x and dodge had slightly more than the ford.

95gt, stock forged 302 shirtblock, canfield 195's, canfield efi intake; efi sheetmetal elbow, xe258 (208/216 .550), 90mm accufab TB, 69mm gt45, 3in cold side, a/a intercooler, water injection, ba5000 maf, 80lb injectors, moates quarterhorse, stock manifold modified & a log manifold, twin 2in up pipes, 60mm wg, 3.5 dp dumped, 14psi, 3.27s, solid bushing rear upper/lower team z suspension, team z tubular k member and A arms, front coil overs with strange 10 way all the way around. TKO600, stock flywheel, ram replacement pressure plate and kevlar/organic disc. 450rwhp 12.39 @ 123.5mph 3400lbs
David Claflin
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 06:24:34 pm »

Pretty impressive

1990 Red LX, 306, 80MM, ported gt40's, ported explorer upper accufab longtubes, 3" exhaust, 4.30's, 336/331
1985 LTD LX 347, 205 11R's, TFS-R, 90MMTB, MAC 1 3/4" longtubes, 4R70W, mach 1 brakes
1988 GT long term project
68mustang405
Big Block

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 08:47:07 pm »

I think the point is that ford is putting a 3.7 v6 up against a 5.7 and a 5.3 v8!! Hell my jeep engine is bigger than this one.  Spt at PC

68 Mustang 310 twisted wedge 170, tfs1, weiand stealth, 1.6 rr t5 3.55s with a locker, a/c and all the creature comforts.

On a serious note.. wagon made 3000hp on the dyno
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 10:02:58 pm »

I think the point is that ford is putting a 3.7 v6 up against a 5.7 and a 5.3 v8!! Hell my jeep engine is bigger than this one.  Spt at PC
Gearing definitely is an issue here.
Just having 3.73 in my rig increased tow capacity 3k, and is much easier on my engine when towing.

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
jtmustang
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 12:58:19 am »

Just having 3.73 in my rig increased tow capacity 3k, and is much easier on my engine when towing.

dana u have the 5.4 right?

and u had to upgrade to 373's?  my 00' f150/5.4 came stock with 373's..

just curious ?

crazy vid
and a hell of a little motor/setup to do these things..
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 02:22:16 am »

dana u have the 5.4 right?

and u had to upgrade to 373's?  my 00' f150/5.4 came stock with 373's..

just curious ?

crazy vid
and a hell of a little motor/setup to do these things..
Upgraded Tow Package comes with choice of 3.55 or 3.73, trailer sway, class 4, trailer mirrors and 10k towing.
Unfortunately, the transmission is the weak link.  I like to have an Allison trans in there.

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 12:55:16 pm »

Video clip of the Baja racing episode added, check OP.

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
RunninHorse
Big Block

Órale!

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 01:16:03 pm »

Pretty impressive!

I'm Rob.  Working on my '93 Reef Blue coupe.  Stock internal 302, 80 MAF, 75 TB, Victor 5.0, High Ports, 30# inj., B303, 1.6s, Tremec TKO 3550, Quicktime bell, Fidanza Al flywheel, stage 3 ceramic clutch, & 4.10s.  12.68 @ 111.69
'66 F100 shortbed, 352ci, 3 on the tree - on hold
'65 Coupe rolling chassis - on hold
Parts I'm selling: 
Hardened Push Rods - Trick Flow 6.2" .080 - $60
Misc. Fox Body Interior Pieces
93yelLE
6 Banger

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 12:13:39 am »

After realizing the benefits of turbocharging on my mustang, I was all in w/ a check ready to sign...then I found out they aren't offering a reg cab/short bed w/ it.  I understand that they're trying to push it as a 'towing' engine, but calling it 'eco' and not offering it in the lightest chassis possible is insane to me.  I want my power AND economy (relatively speaking, of course), dammit - needless to say, I'm really disappointed.  And naturally, any time I mention that I want this combination, I'm looked at like I'm the slow kid in the class by all the rednecks here.

Regardless, before I was disappointed by the chassis limitation, I signed up for this:

www.drivef150ecoboost.com

I'll let you guys know what I think the afternoon of the 13th...

Oh, and Dana, from what I understand, they've revised the trannies for this year - time will tell.
LiftedSplash347
Small Block

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 01:41:29 pm »

My buddy just posted theses videos on another site, so i shared them here, feel free to edit them to the original post: from the detroit auto show:

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG6xZ3e4_pI
Part2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L8rEGAGMJg&feature=player_embedded
part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG2d_Y1bmKI&feature=player_embedded
slimsf4
2stroke

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 05:05:46 pm »

Awesome Vids

Ashes To Ashes, Dust To Dust If It Wasnt For Chevys My Tools Would Rust
84 5.0 gt40p 10/1cr 1.7rr F303 carbed 3.73 T5 17mpgs(Hwy)
94 F150 w/460bbf swap
scienceguy
Big Block

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 06:18:09 pm »

Rule #1
NEVER buy brand new technology during its first year of production!
There WILL be issues that come with high volume production that don't show themselves in lab tests.

Rule #2
SEE RULE #1!   Wink

Plus, did you remember them saying how long the hill was?  
0-60, the Ford had the Dodge covered by a HUGE margin.  They then called the finish line HALF way up the hill, where the Dodge had reeled it down to a 3 second margin.  The turbo has great off idle power, and got the heavy load moving well from a start, but didn't have the beans up top.  Once moving, the Hemi ATE IT UP.  Unloaded, the Ford would have gotten killed, bad.
On the GM trial, they tested it against the 5.3L Chevy instead of the 6.0L or 6.2L.  I have a feeling, the results would have been different if they had used the larger engine.  

It's a decent powerplant, and should get decent fuel mileage...  But, remember back in the 80's and 90's when they tried to bring all those 4cyl turbos out to compete against the V8's?  It didn't turn out too well.  They burnt up turbos, blew head gaskets and wore out way before the larger engines.

They didn't seem to mention gearing, either.  That will make a TON of difference.  The huge gap in the beginning against the Dodge makes me think that there must have been a significant difference in gearing.  The Chevy probably had a tall gear as well.  

Again.  Rule #1!  Sit back and see how it fares.  Plus, after a couple of years, they'll have the power pumped up to better compete with the competition, and hopefully have most of the bugs worked out.  It may prove itself in the real world, it may not.  They also said the 6.0L and 6.4L diesels were 'all that' as well.  Real, high volume production proved otherwise...  and now everybody wants a Duramax.  Sometimes, overly complex, is overly complex...  a sales pitch is a sales pitch...  and 'I' don't want to be the guinea pig.

Good Luck!

1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
Pump Gas, Flat Tappet 306
9.88 @ 135.67
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 07:14:19 pm »

Rule #1
NEVER buy brand new technology during its first year of production!
There WILL be issues that come with high volume production that don't show themselves in lab tests.

Rule #2
SEE RULE #1!   Wink

Plus, did you remember them saying how long the hill was? 
0-60, the Ford had the Dodge covered by a HUGE margin.  They then called the finish line HALF way up the hill, where the Dodge had reeled it down to a 3 second margin.  The turbo has great off idle power, and got the heavy load moving well from a start, but didn't have the beans up top.  Once moving the Hemi ATE IT UP.  Unloaded, the Ford would have gotten killed, bad.
On the GM trial, they tested it against the 5.3L Chevy instead of the 6.0L or 6.2L.  I have a feeling, the results would have been different if they had. 

It's a decent engine, and should get decent fuel mileage...  But, remember back in the 80's and 90's when they tried to bring all those 4cyl turbos out to compete against the V8's?  It didn't turn out too well.  They burnt up turbos, blew head gaskets and wore out way before the larger engines.

Again.  Rule #1!  Sit back and see how it fares.  Plus, after a couple of years, they'll have the power pumped up to better compete with the competition.  It may prove itself.  They also said the 6.0L and 6.4L diesels were 'all that' as well.  Real, high volume production proved otherwise...  and now everybody wants a Duramax.  Sometimes, overly complex, is overly complex.

Good Luck!
Spt at PC.... amazing how every venue is used to justify the V8's shortcomings against a 3.5L turbo V6.

It is amazing how previous experiences are still used against a manufacturer that takes the time and pays the Money to document everything as it happens and ignore the fact it did learn from those previous mistakes. Or why would they publicize it for open scrutiny?  Hmmmmm

Do agree with the high volume production induced quality errors, but I think and know Ford Smilie 2 learned after the GM Oops! in their engine manufacturing process, wrongly causing the hypershitty pistons to take the blame for the piston slap problems/noise of their LSx engines. Or did you choose to ignore the fact the engine used was selected randomly from a "high volume manufactured engines" population?  Wonder, Ponder

Following that same "new tech reliability/fear concern" approach..... we shouldn't be buying or tinkering with the Coyote 5.0L engine either..... until one is driven for at least 100,000 miles under normal conditions and abuse.  Dissapointed

Oh wait...... we shouldn't be buying Ford Smilie 2 compacts either, back in the late 70's Pinto's were famous for exploding when crashed from the back. 

Don't you think test procedures and reliability validations also change based on previous results/experiences..... Dissapointed ... why would time and money be spent on ISO based manufacturing certifications then? 

IOW... "science" also has its risks.... doesn't it?

ACRONYMS:

The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
scienceguy
Big Block

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 08:17:16 pm »

It is amazing how previous experiences are still used against a manufacturer...

Following that same "new tech reliability/fear concern" approach..... we shouldn't be buying or tinkering with the Coyote 5.0L engine either.....

You sure do get awfully whiney when somebody offers a viewpoint that is different than your own, even if it is valid.

Is the FIRST version of ANY new technology all 'scienced out'?  No.

Take Windows for example.
There was Windows 3.0, then 3.1
There was the buggy Win 95, then the fixed verson 95B.
There was the buggy Win 98, then Win 98SE.
There was the buggy XP, then the service packs that fixed it.
There was the mega buggy Vista, then refined into Windows 7.

Pretty much ANYTHING first year is going to have bugs.  They might get them worked out and turned into something good, or the whole concept may come up less than wonderful. 

The Coyote engines aren't without their first year issues.  They run great, but the real world, high volume reality has uncovered valvetrain issues. 

You'd think that Ford would fix the spark plugs that blow out on the Mod Motors, but years went by, and they still haven't made the simple fix. 

I HOPE the Ecotec V6 works out...  But, 'I' am not going to gamble tens of thousands of my own dollars to try one in its first year of production.  I'll wait until they are proven or disproven to make that move.

1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
Pump Gas, Flat Tappet 306
9.88 @ 135.67
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011, 09:19:36 pm »

It is amazing how previous experiences are still used against a manufacturer...

Following that same "new tech reliability/fear concern" approach..... we shouldn't be buying or tinkering with the Coyote 5.0L engine either.....

You sure do get awfully whiney when somebody offers a viewpoint that is different than your own, even if it is valid.

Is the FIRST version of ANY new technology all 'scienced out'?  No.

Take Windows for example.
There was Windows 3.0, then 3.1
There was the buggy Win 95, then the fixed verson 95B.
There was the buggy Win 98, then Win 98SE.
There was the buggy XP, then the service packs that fixed it.
There was the mega buggy Vista, then refined into Windows 7.

Pretty much ANYTHING first year is going to have bugs.  They might get them worked out and turned into something good, or the whole concept may come up less than wonderful. 

The Coyote engines aren't without their first year issues.  They run great, but the real world, high volume reality has uncovered valvetrain issues. 

You'd think that Ford would fix the spark plugs that blow out on the Mod Motors, but years went by, and they still haven't made the simple fix. 

I HOPE the Ecotec V6 works out...  But, 'I' am not going to gamble tens of thousands of my own dollars to try one in its first year of production.  I'll wait until they are proven or disproven to make that move.

Of course I do....... because I know (based on your examples) that is not the case. Did you know I was using a version of Windows X back in 1991? Was it for a PC based environment?.... nope  .... yet it was error free then (after the second rev). I too have a Compaq notebook with Win98, that its falling apart HW wise.... yet the OS (Win98) still works and delivers.

So Coyote engines have valve train issues?.... cool..... care to share the links? By The Way.... they too suffer from the infamous rolling idle issues the fox OBD-I did.... surprised? Is that a levy excuse not to continue the correction/science improving process of the existing systems?  Don't ...no

Ford literally fucked up regarding the spark plug problems in the Mod population, and it is what it is...... I too have had to invest in the specialized repair kit for my customers..... Sooooo....... at least their setups were quieter than GM's LSx engines.... or did you miss that fact?

My point is simple and straight to the gut........ if you are not willing to "INVEST" in USA developed technology or "science" (risk inducing, confirmation dependent, trend setting, failure prone... you know... forefront new tech)..... why use it as a misleading username? Doesn't science mean innovation? Doesn't science mean breaking the customarily established rules? Doesn't science mean the new stuff that works after riskily proven? See my humble point? Based on your logic, the 1965 Mustang would have been dead before it was even born. IOW.... the Taiwanese approach.

Would I spend my hard earned cash on such a gamble? Duhhh.... I always have. I too have to become a validation tool for them. Don't we really Quote-Unquote "science" oriented guys always do?  Hmmmmm

ACRONYMS:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: