Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2021, 07:14:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
435314 Posts in 37297 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Library Tech Library Tech
| |-+ Power and Drivetrain Combos
| | |-+ 289/302 - non-stroker combos
| | | |-+ 1966 mustang junkyard combo
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1966 mustang junkyard combo  (Read 18383 times)
ochohill
Big Block

« on: October 26, 2010, 04:44:56 pm »

I bought a 66 mustang in pieces. I bought a used 5.0 HO for $170, a used T5 for $250. I had an air gap, modified holley 4 barrel with mech secondaries and shorty headers. I had to buy the following items:

fox body timing cover, water pump, alt bracket and alternator-all used
Trick Flow AC and PS delete bracket
alum rad with driver side wp inlet
reverse blade flex fan
chrome dipstick
mustang steve cable clutch
new clutch

I think I have about $1100 in engine and tranny not including the parts I already had. The rear end is a 9" with 3.89's. The car runs great. Scares the dickens out of my wife.
69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 04:47:13 pm »

Nice!

So what is next for your ride?

Welcome

Robert's 1969 Mercury Montego (FordStrokers 408W, QFT 850cfm RQ-AN, Super Victor, 1" aluminum open spacer, CamMotion HR .624"/.609" 251*/256* 108* LSA, 1-3/4"x3-1/2" headers, Dynomax Ultra #17224 mufflers, C6/4R100 trans, 8"/9" 5500 converter, Broader Performance manual V/B, 9" 4.56 Detroit Truetrac, Hoosier Pro Street 31x12.5R15 on 10" rims)

The Merc started here = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,27178.0.html  Now = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,34648.0.html

Thanks to Jim "Woody" and Nicole Woods @ FordStrokers 408W, Westminster Performance Transmission (W.P.T.) transmissions, TCS Performance converters, Broader Performance valvebodies and last but not least a BIG thanks (always) to my friends here and abroad in the World!
ddillon
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 06:30:22 pm »

Any Pics ??

Welcome

Darren
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 06:46:58 pm »

how does that work using the fox timing cover? Im guessing you are using the dipstick in the block, but on your car the sump is in the front of the pan?  Hmmmmm

puttin a roller block 347 in a 64 falcon so these are issues Im going to be facing in the future  Thanx!

425" pump gas 6.2@110
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 01:51:16 am »

Sounds like a good build for the dollar spent.

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
ochohill
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 08:26:04 pm »

Sorry for the late response.

fuel injected timing chain cover

I have also used a D7 timing chain cover. I am not sure what it is from but it also had a fuel pump boss.

pic of belt routing

Other mods were unisteer manual rack and pinion and a 9" rear end with 3.89's and traction device.
I have since pulled them for another project. The car does have wilwood 4 wheel disc brakes and the suspension has been modified a little.

homemade strut rods

grslms51
Stroked Small Block

1988 ranger

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 09:16:56 pm »

the car looks nice...did you do what i did for the dip stick..drill out the 5.0 timing cover and put the dip stick in?
ochohill
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 11:35:10 am »

Yes. It used a cheap chrome dipstick from the local speed shop and drilled for it. You have to put a couple of slight bends in the dipstick to work around the fox body alternator bracket. It's not much though.

Also, you need to wire the old voltage regulator out of the circuit in order to use the fox alternator. It has an internal voltage regulator.
ochohill
Big Block

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 11:37:29 am »

Nice!

So what is next for your ride?

Welcome

Not much really. This car is more or less a test mule for a 65 fastback I am building. I want to hold onto it long enough to mock up the fastback. Sometime around paint this car will go up for sale.
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 12:11:30 pm »

Is that a Mallory dual point distributor? I had one of those years ago, gave me fits. I never could get the dwell to act right.

Also, you need to wire the old voltage regulator out of the circuit in order to use the fox alternator. It has an internal voltage regulator.

If you ever want to upgrade, the newer 3G 130 amp models aren't very hard to install. Even if I didn't have a electric fan, I would still have used one. Never a problem with a low battery and the lights are always nice and bright.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
68mustang405
Big Block

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 01:14:02 pm »

x2 on the 3g upgrade! It's awesome. Check out fordfuelinjection.com They have an upgrade for the 3g (soldering required) to make it 200 amp unit!

68 Mustang 310 twisted wedge 170, tfs1, weiand stealth, 1.6 rr t5 3.55s with a locker, a/c and all the creature comforts.

On a serious note.. wagon made 3000hp on the dyno
ochohill
Big Block

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 11:38:33 am »

Is that a Mallory dual point distributor? I had one of those years ago, gave me fits. I never could get the dwell to act right.

If you ever want to upgrade, the newer 3G 130 amp models aren't very hard to install. Even if I didn't have a electric fan, I would still have used one. Never a problem with a low battery and the lights are always nice and bright.

Yes it is a mallory dual point in the photo. I have not had any problems with it as of yet. The 3g upgrade is a straight bolt for me at this point, I think. The 94 mustangs hae the 3g alternator and ths same plug ins for the fox. I have 2 of those but haven't tried them yet. I don't really need them. I don't have a stereo and I wired the headlights to relays and used some upgraded beams that do well. Bright lights and no pulsating, nice.
68mustang405
Big Block

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 03:08:13 pm »

the 3g was also used on tons of other cars. fyi. I called a junkyard pull a part and they got me a 3g off a 96 mustang for $25! I had a warrenty in case it didn't work, just bring it back. Went to the parts store and checked it out. Been on there for almost a year now.

68 Mustang 310 twisted wedge 170, tfs1, weiand stealth, 1.6 rr t5 3.55s with a locker, a/c and all the creature comforts.

On a serious note.. wagon made 3000hp on the dyno
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 07:19:42 am »

the last 3g I got from pull-a-part was $11 3.8 t-bird
so is it stupid easy to get rid of the external regulator?

I/we are doing a 351 in a 65 fastback right now. it is the definition of shoehorned! but we drilled the newer timing cover and put the rice isle chrome dipstick tube in the same way

so is that a fox radiator? how is it supported? I/we got a specific 65 style 4 core with drivers outlet. we probably couldve run the fox radiator and put the battery in the trunk then huh?

I cant beleive how much more room the 351 takes up(in a 65)

425" pump gas 6.2@110
ochohill
Big Block

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 11:56:11 pm »

I bought an aluminum radiator and shoe horned it in. From memory, it's 27" wide, 16" tall and 2" thick. I cut the rad support to the size of the fins. It is a cross flow rad. I used a flex fan from the local speed shop with no shroud. I made my own rad mount. In the winter, I run without the fan. The rad was around $200.

I have been meaning to do a writeup on the radiator mod. Most people aren't interested when I tell them they have to cut the radiator support. Anybody can restore a car, it takes a man to cut one up.

It is easy to adjust the wiring. Yes, the battery is in the trunk.

SEE HERE

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/596668-3g-alternator-upgrade-request.html
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: