Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 07:32:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
415192 Posts in 35507 Topics by 8886 Members
Latest Member: seaslug
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Nitrous (Moderator: juiced coupe)
| | |-+ Let's talk ring choice
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let's talk ring choice  (Read 3920 times)
69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 10:06:39 pm »

No there not, maybe in the pic they look like it.

Do you "double-stack" the top two compression rings?  (My top white arrow area)

* 2010-10-18_190044.jpg (55.94 KB, 611x460 - viewed 85 times.)

Robert's 1969 Mercury Montego (FordStrokers 408W, QFT 850cfm RQ-AN, Super Victor, 2" aluminum open spacer, CamMotion HR .624/.609 251/256 108, 1-3/4" x 3" headers, Broader Performance RmV/B under a C6/4R100 behind a 8"/9" billet 5500 stall, 9" 4.56 Detroit Truetrac, M/T ET radial streets 315/60-15 on 10" rims)

The Merc started here = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,27178.0.html

Present day Merc = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,34648.0.html

Except that engine building (properly) is a labor intensive industry.  Who do you think does all the measuring and machining?  Little engine shop fairies?  Not to mention assembly, mock up and parts fitting.

At Woody's level you are not just paying for his labor but for his skill set as well.

You get to ONLY have TWO of the following -- cheap, fast, dependable.

IOW -- if it is fast and dependable it will not be cheap.  If it is fast and cheap it won't be dependable.  If it is cheap and dependable it will not be fast!

Obama's "executive immigration decision" = "Wait a minute! This is horrible. Putting all the racist rhetoric aside, we "the government" love illegals! Just not publicly. We "the government" love to exploit cheap labor and have taxpayers subsidize the living expenses of our hard working employees while we pocket the difference. Then come election time we can blame them for being on welfare and get re-elected. And employers don't pay in the taxes they're suppose to so taxpayers and workers get screwed again and we come out sweet."

Thanks FordStrokers 408W, Westminster Performance Transmission (W.P.T.) transmissions, TCS Performance converters, Broader Performance valvebodies and last but not least a BIG thanks (always) to my friends here and abroad in the World!
woody
FordStrokers.com-SBFTech.com Owner
Administrator
Big Block

Old School

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 10:18:26 pm »

No, the picture is misleading. The top and bottom dots are the same ring package, the vertical line is an anti detonation groove.

* 2010-10-18_190044.jpg (46.43 KB, 611x460 - viewed 103 times.)

331-347 Short Blocks 2099.00 and up
408-418-427 Short Blocks (F4 Roller Blocks Standard) 2399.99 and up
Dart Shorts 4199.00+
D.I.Y Shortblocks 1799.00

FordStrokers.com

Make sure you get your information from the internet gurus that haven't built SHIT, they did sleep at Holiday Inn last night, and we have a few of those gurus right here on this forum. Smiley
Red5.0
Big Block

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 10:33:47 pm »

They sure look the same to me?

2011 Mustang GT 6 speed manual with some minor junk.
rob342
Adv_SBFTechie
Small Block

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 10:35:15 pm »

Gaps are set up as follows:

Top: .029
2nd: .028
Oil: .035

why do you have to gap the oil rings and I did not? just wondering

rob

you know, i only asked this because i thought i missed a step and i was about to go tear my shit apart. i never buillt a motor before and i thought i missed a step. i'd rather tear it apart than miss a step. f that. lol. my instructions were three numbers woody penciled onto a small scrap of paper, common sense, and a real good book written by an engineer.

white 92GT, with a black interior, pony rims, 5 speed with a 4.10 gear. came with a gear, exhaust, and a powerdyne. nice little cruiser, i didn't change much yet.
oldmanjoe
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

ya `ll play nice ye-hear

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 10:54:47 pm »

rob

you know, i only asked this because i thought i missed a step and i was about to go tear my shit apart. i never buillt a motor before and i thought i missed a step. i'd rather tear it apart than miss a step. f that. lol. my instructions were three numbers woody penciled onto a small scrap of paper, common sense, and a real good book written by an engineer.
   so what was your gap on the oil rings  ?    or did you measure drag ?    joe

Still in the classroom hopefully still awake !!!
 A mind is like a parachute it ONLY works when it is OPEN
 Grandpa`s word`s of wisdom, joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack
 Only a rich man can afford cheap parts, because he can afford to replace them
 If you did not understand what i said,say so and i will try and explain it another way
Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Don`t get frustrated...get educated,you are at the library now ,so start reading .
Life`s journey is not to arrive at the grave Safely in a well preserved body,Rather to skid in sideways, out of control, totally worn out, Shouting Holy shit what a ride.
Inside the box is too crowded for me!!! besides every time you get going you run in to another corner.
 SPEED READING and written technical information , Don`t go together
Time is the best teacher, but most of its students die before learning the lessons.
IF YOUR READING COMPREHENSION IS NOT
OF A 5TH GRADE LEVEL DO NOT PROCEED {jay allen}
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 11:00:44 pm »

They sure look the same to me?

These below look identical in size to me --> (the top pic)

Where-as the middle pic (which is the OP's) are not the same size --> (I don't get it yet)
(Unless you put in the top ring and there is an "open" area underneath it -- maybe that is what Woody meant?)

The bottom pic -->

No, the picture is misleading. The top and bottom dots are the same ring package, the vertical line is an anti detonation groove.

* 2010-10-18_195812.jpg (85.29 KB, 324x292 - viewed 85 times.)

* 2010-10-18_190044.jpg (55.94 KB, 611x460 - viewed 93 times.)

* dfdf.jpg (139.17 KB, 582x427 - viewed 80 times.)

Robert's 1969 Mercury Montego (FordStrokers 408W, QFT 850cfm RQ-AN, Super Victor, 2" aluminum open spacer, CamMotion HR .624/.609 251/256 108, 1-3/4" x 3" headers, Broader Performance RmV/B under a C6/4R100 behind a 8"/9" billet 5500 stall, 9" 4.56 Detroit Truetrac, M/T ET radial streets 315/60-15 on 10" rims)

Except that engine building (properly) is a labor intensive industry.  Who do you think does all the measuring and machining?  Little engine shop fairies?  Not to mention assembly, mock up and parts fitting.

At Woody's level you are not just paying for his labor but for his skill set as well.

IOW -- if it is fast and dependable it will not be cheap.  If it is fast and cheap it won't be dependable.  If it is cheap and dependable it will not be fast!

Obama's "executive immigration decision" = "Wait a minute! This is horrible. Putting all the racist rhetoric aside, we "the government" love illegals! Just not publicly. We "the government" love to exploit cheap labor and have taxpayers subsidize the living expenses of our hard working employees while we pocket the difference. Then come election time we can blame them for being on welfare and get re-elected. And employers don't pay in the taxes they're suppose to so taxpayers and workers get screwed again and we come out sweet."

Thanks FordStrokers 408W, Westminster Performance Transmission (W.P.T.) transmissions, TCS Performance converters, Broader Performance valvebodies and last but not least a BIG thanks (always) to my friends here and abroad in the World!
rob342
Adv_SBFTechie
Small Block

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 11:03:02 pm »

rob

so what was your gap on the oil rings  ?    or did you measure drag ?    joe

i didn't even check. i worried about it for a minute, but then i searched this site and found

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,27337.msg283744.html#msg283744

three posts up from the bottom, i found a BIG SIGH OF RELIEF

white 92GT, with a black interior, pony rims, 5 speed with a 4.10 gear. came with a gear, exhaust, and a powerdyne. nice little cruiser, i didn't change much yet.
scienceguy
Big Block

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 06:54:45 am »

69, look at the SIDE of the piston, not just up front where it's washed out by the flash.  You'll see the top is the same as the 2nd. 

1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
Pump Gas, Flat Tappet 306
10.134 @ 134.71
Blk88GT
"Champ"
Big Block

McNitrous

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 09:19:09 am »

I'll get some more shots of the piston tonight. Some good info in this thread so far.

Woody, how much would you trust these pistons up to? What about my rotating assembly?

Ian
1988 Mustang GT - 8.97 @ 150.46 on 275s!
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ with lots of goodies

Speedos irritate me
woody
FordStrokers.com-SBFTech.com Owner
Administrator
Big Block

Old School

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 09:22:26 am »

I'll get some more shots of the piston tonight. Some good info in this thread so far.

Woody, how much would you trust these pistons up to? What about my rotating assembly?
Depends on how thick the crown of the piston is, but I can pretty much guarantee its easily thick enough for a 400 shot. The crank is fine in regards to power, the rod at most I would put a bolt in it, IF it has the 8740 capscrew currently.

331-347 Short Blocks 2099.00 and up
408-418-427 Short Blocks (F4 Roller Blocks Standard) 2399.99 and up
Dart Shorts 4199.00+
D.I.Y Shortblocks 1799.00

FordStrokers.com

Make sure you get your information from the internet gurus that haven't built SHIT, they did sleep at Holiday Inn last night, and we have a few of those gurus right here on this forum. Smiley
Blk88GT
"Champ"
Big Block

McNitrous

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 09:26:40 am »

Thank you very much Jim, I really appreciate your input.

At least I'm getting some use out of the pistons. They cost me a goddamn fortune over 6 years ago!

Ian
1988 Mustang GT - 8.97 @ 150.46 on 275s!
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ with lots of goodies

Speedos irritate me
Induction-Solutions
4 Banger

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 06:01:24 pm »

Bore: 4.030
Comp height: 1.255
Pin diameter: .927
Top groove: .064
2nd groove: .064
Oil groove: .218
Piston weight: 469g

1.1" from bottom of oil groove to center of pin.

I'm confused.

You list the same for the 1st and 2nd ring's -- yet from the pic they are vastly different in size?   

I think where the confusion comes from is that the dimensions Ian listed are the sizes of the ring gaps for the rings to fit into. It's not the distance from the dome to the top ring and then between the top ring to the second ring and so on.. Hope this helsp.. Steve

69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2010, 06:16:52 pm »

The three recessed grooves that are in the piston for the rings -- all of them are different sizes.

That is where I'm confused.

Red5.0
Big Block

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2010, 06:23:17 pm »

The three recessed grooves that are in the piston for the rings -- all of them are different sizes.

But they aren't. The top 2 are the same size.

2011 Mustang GT 6 speed manual with some minor junk.
69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2010, 07:47:32 pm »

But they aren't. The top 2 are the same size.

Oh crap!!!

I just saw it now, finally!

The ring recesses are the black colored looking gaps while looking towards the side of the piston.

I was not seeing it that way before.

Fuckin' brain farts.   I'm sorry

Thanks for setting me straight you all.   Thanx!

Good luck to Blk88GT in spraying a 400hp shot of the stuff.  May he run a safe personal best!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: