Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 01:19:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Director PLEASE!!!!
Add your location information to your personal profile. Thanx!
413984 Posts in 35416 Topics by 8860 Members
Latest Member: stik50
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Off-Topic Bullshittin'
| |-+ Pics Pics and Videos Videos
| | |-+ Budget twin turbo 302 1/8th mile
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Budget twin turbo 302 1/8th mile  (Read 4727 times)
Jim Mitchell
Small Block

« on: September 21, 2010, 03:36:43 am »

This is the cars personal best ET. I put some tune in the car from the previous week but I had to do some fancy ''footwork'' about 300' out to keep the car straight. I went 6.34@109.5 mph last week (old tune) and 6.29@112.2 mph this week with the new tune. I picked up 2.7 MPH but only bested the et by .05 et. I broke some stuff later that day that Im currently fixing but I wanna get back out there and try to get a good pass with hook and see what it will do. The car weighs 3242 lbs with driver and Im still using a stock 5.0 roller block and rotating assembly  http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii137/Mitchell302/?action=view&current=102_3944.mp4

Homemade twin-turbo 302.
Anthony85stang
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 08:48:39 pm »

Thats sweet man!  Where in Maine are you from.  My uncle goes up to a winterport dragway up there.  Ive never been i was just wondering if thats where your at.  Car runs sweet

Jim Mitchell
Small Block

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 10:06:26 pm »

Wow thats one nice looking 4-eye! Is that the car your uncle races? If so I havent seen it yet. Yes I do race Winterport nearly every weekend. Its a good track and it has been consistant from week to week which is nice for us small tire guys. I dont like surprises 300' out when the turbos are wound up.

Homemade twin-turbo 302.
Brent Clay
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 08:33:02 am »

Jim. I like the way you done things..... your way and from Junk Grin.....

You went away from the norm of having to have FAC 190 HEADS, a custom cam  and special suspension parts..... Im glad you did this "HomeMade Junk" Project, just to show things dont have to be high dollar custom to go down the track straight..... But I must say ..."you are crossing the boundaries into safety issues.

In the past few months you have really got this car dialed in and running pretty hard for a very mild combo...  What is the total cost you have in this build....$2500 including car??
Brent
Jim Mitchell
Small Block

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 10:05:27 pm »

You are definately right about the safety issue that Im flirting with. I plan to run some tuning passes this weekend then bracket race next week then Im hanging up the towel for the year. This car went from a 550 hp fun car to a relatively unpredictable 700+ HP animal, I really should get a bigger and better tire under the car and some good suspension pieces. I can only hope that if/when the block splits it holds its fluid and doesnt put me in the wall or worse, hit the guy in the other lane.

Homemade twin-turbo 302.
Jim Mitchell
Small Block

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 10:18:54 pm »

Total cost I havent figured out yet but, I gave $1000 for the car and built this turbo junkyard motor for under $3000. Most of that money was for the TFS heads ($1200 from Summit) and $800 for the twin turbo setup. I reused the 5.0 roller lifters and bought a Trick Flow stage 1 cam, It idles almost stock and makes good power off boost. I picked up a $125 funnel web intake from ebay. The carb is a 650 I converted to blow-thru for under $200. Im pretty cheap anyway so buying custom one off pieces just isnt in the budget, but it is amazing what can be done with the simple off the shelf stuff. Plus you should see peoples faces when they find out its a stock 5.0 rotating assembly, I think Ford did a good job with the 5.0 HO motors, I just wish they cast a little more material in the block.

Homemade twin-turbo 302.
Anthony85stang
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 04:29:42 pm »

No thats my car.  My uncle doesnt have a car at the moment.  He used to race a dodge colt when he lived down here in ct.  He is in a car club i dont know the name and they race nostaliga type stuff.  He ususally drives the car for one of the guys in the club.

289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 04:44:51 pm »

It's always amazed me what a single or in your case pair of turbos can do with even mild 4 cylinder junk.  Makes me wonder why I don't just go for a turbo and a decent supporting cast next time around.

Just don't keep breaking it or the budget aspect of this project will be out the window. Wink

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
scienceguy
Big Block

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 04:53:57 pm »

Simply freakin' AWESOME Jim! 
I'm starting to wish my 1966 engine bay had a bit more 'turbo' room.   Grin

Good Job!   

1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
Pump Gas, Flat Tappet 306
10.134 @ 134.71
Jim Mitchell
Small Block

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 09:31:59 pm »

No thats my car.  My uncle doesnt have a car at the moment.  He used to race a dodge colt when he lived down here in ct.  He is in a car club i dont know the name and they race nostaliga type stuff.  He ususally drives the car for one of the guys in the club.
''Gassah Guys'' right? Those guys put on an awesome show! They flag start those guys just like in the old days. Beautiful altereds, gassers and front engine dragsters lined right up in the staging lanes, its an awesome sight. Im going this Saturday to watch them race.

Homemade twin-turbo 302.
Jim Mitchell
Small Block

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 09:35:31 pm »

It's always amazed me what a single or in your case pair of turbos can do with even mild 4 cylinder junk.  Makes me wonder why I don't just go for a turbo and a decent supporting cast next time around.

Just don't keep breaking it or the budget aspect of this project will be out the window. Wink
Im also very amazed at what these turbo motors are capable of. I doubt I will ever build another naturaly aspirated engine after having tasted turbo power. I just wish I had started with a 351W in the first place, that way I wouldnt have to worry so much about splitting the block.

Homemade twin-turbo 302.
Jim Mitchell
Small Block

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 09:40:43 pm »

Simply freakin' AWESOME Jim! 
I'm starting to wish my 1966 engine bay had a bit more 'turbo' room.   Grin

Good Job!   

Thanks alot! Im not sure how much difference there is between the '66 and '68 engine bays but I have been pondering the idea of building a milder version of my current motor to put in my '68 Mustang. I know there are some subtle differences in our body style but I am thinking the engine bay is the same . Your car would be insanely fun on the street with some small, quick spooling turbos using that 4-speed. Thats what I would do if I ever get the time to do something similar with my '68.

Homemade twin-turbo 302.
Jim Mitchell
Small Block

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 09:45:22 pm »

Mike, how much nitrous have you been spraying to go bottom 10s? I know you have been beating on that 302 for quite a few years, have you ever had any problems with the caps moving around? I only have 23 passes on this motor and Im thinking when I tear it down this winter, its gonna show signs of severe cap walk. I have a '68 302 block that I plan to build as a spare, I have heard these blocks are a little stronger than the late 5.0 roller blocks, but I dont know for sure.

Homemade twin-turbo 302.
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 11:11:00 pm »

Mike, how much nitrous have you been spraying to go bottom 10s? I know you have been beating on that 302 for quite a few years, have you ever had any problems with the caps moving around? I only have 23 passes on this motor and Im thinking when I tear it down this winter, its gonna show signs of severe cap walk. I have a '68 302 block that I plan to build as a spare, I have heard these blocks are a little stronger than the late 5.0 roller blocks, but I dont know for sure.

One of the advantages of the turbo cars I like is the fact that you don't need much rpm.  I feel that is a big advantage in them holding together even at outrageous power levels like what you are running.  Belt driven superchargers put stress on the snout of the crank.  On my friend's '93 Cobra I remember being shocked at how tight they had to get the belt to prevent slippage during his chassis dyno session.

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
scienceguy
Big Block

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 11:31:03 pm »

It's got a 200hp plate.  
I have had severe cap walk problems.  Most of it was from trying to run the nitrous with pump gas.  Even 100hp and 150hp settings were too much.  Octane booster and/or mixing with race gas didn't really help.  Straight 110 octane race gas and taking EVERY precaution to keep it out of detonation eliminated most of it.  

A stock block will handle quite a bit of power AS LONG AS YOU KEEP IT OUT OF DETONATION.  Running it into detonation spikes the load on the block exponentially...  and WILL break it.  Run GOOD fuel, pull plenty of timing, run it ONLY at cool engine temps, run cold plugs, and don't get greedy with the tune!  Follow these rules, and you'll get all it is capable of giving you...  but it's still just a 302 block.  

The 1966 engine bay is smaller.  The 1967-68 bay was made large enough to house a 390...  although very snugly!  Ain't no way one of those is fitting in a '66!

Quote from: 289nate
One of the advantages of the turbo cars I like is the fact that you don't need much rpm.  I feel that is a big advantage in them holding together even at outrageous power levels like what you are running.  Belt driven superchargers put stress on the snout of the crank.

It takes a lot of power to run a blower.  It might take 100hp to spin the blower.  That power has to come from the crankshaft.  If that blower engine is putting 500hp to the crank, it's really having to make 600hp.  Turbos don't suffer from this same type of parasitic loss straight off the crank.  

Good Luck!

1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
Pump Gas, Flat Tappet 306
10.134 @ 134.71
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: