Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2018, 04:36:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435266 Posts in 37271 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots Other Ford Engines
| | |-+ 351c turbo compression - Couple question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 351c turbo compression - Couple question  (Read 2578 times)
Rages6971
4 Banger

« on: September 20, 2010, 11:30:17 pm »

I am gathering information and getting ready to redo one (maybe both) of my Cís and have a couple questions.

First, I have a block that #4 has a hole in the cylinder wall.  Itís a pretty big hole but doesnít go all the way to the top or bottom.  It has never been bored and will clean up at 0.030 over besides the one cylinder issue.  Is this a good candidate to be sleeved?  Anyone had this done before?

Second, I am thinking of a turbo on one of the builds and using something like a t76 or similar turbo.  The question here is about compression.  I have 4VCC heads and 4VOC heads and was wondering what would be the best route to lower the compression without detonation.  Using the 4VCC with dished pistons to get the compression ratio down or 4VOC with dished pistons?  About what ratio would be good on pump gas (91) and somewhere around 10 to 12 lbs boost?  8.5 to 9.0?  I donít plan on anything more than 600 hp and want to keep it a fun toy with reasonable driving attitude.

Any thought or insight appreciated.

Adrian
Bam54
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 11:44:52 pm »

Because of the use of iron heads I would stay at 8.5 to 1.  My preference would be the closed chamber heads because the combustion chamber is just better and gives you some quench use a dish piston to lower the compression. As for the block I would not use the one with the damaged cylinder since you already need to do machine work you should start with a good core. The only way I woud ever use a damaged block is if I already had a ton of money tied up into machine work then damaged it. IMHO

Bam

"Take the horse out of the barn and let her run baby run"

www.ponyexpressracing.com

CHI headed 454 Clevor
9.24@142 1.30 60ft N/A
5.84@117 1.28 60ft N/A
3040lbs race weight
Rages6971
4 Banger

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 02:00:51 pm »

I was thinking the same thing with the quench heads, it would help minimize detonation and might allow a little more timing or boost.  Is there any good use for the OC heads?  If using a domed piston can one get the compression up without the detonation issue, or at least minimize it some?

Good 351c are getting harder to find, so I am considering fixing this one.  I will wait and see what the machine shop says though.  If there is any other damage or there is question about being able to make the repair then I am out.  I just hate trashing a 4-bolt main block.  If it is repaired it is getting a half fill anyway.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: