Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 02:55:56 am

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
434272 Posts in 37162 Topics by 9479 Members
Latest Member: joerberg
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ General Tech
| | |-+ Oil Pressure or Oil Flow - which is more important?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oil Pressure or Oil Flow - which is more important?  (Read 16740 times)
Jeff351w
Big Block

393 build & new trans in progress

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 02:43:02 am »

But how do you open it up without harming (read warping, twisting, deforming) the bearing?  Do it in the block?  With what kind of tool and bit?

I'm at the perfect point in my build to consider this.

Quote from: mighty mouse

I often have tires with just too much tread or a fuel tank that is just too full. Accept no substitutes!
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 12:48:25 pm »

But how do you open it up without harming (read warping, twisting, deforming) the bearing?  Do it in the block?  With what kind of tool and bit?

Very slowfully and painfully  Grin . I did mine out of the block. I tried a couple different methods of doing this and found a Dremel to be the easiest. I roughed then in with a cone shaped carbide cutter, bebured with a fine stone, and then touched them up with some emery cloth. I always used some sort of cutting fluid (WD works ok) at eack stage.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
Blk88GT
"Champ"
Big Block

McNitrous

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 01:52:30 pm »

FWIW, years and years ago I swapped a MAC H pipe with full tailpipes for a custom X pipe with dumped mufflers and picked up .75mph on a stock 5.0

Ian
1988 Mustang GT - 8.97 @ 150.46 on 275s!
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ with lots of goodies

Speedos irritate me
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 02:23:31 pm »

FWIW, years and years ago I swapped a MAC H pipe with full tailpipes for a custom X pipe with dumped mufflers and picked up .75mph on a stock 5.0

I've seen DA affect that number more...

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
Blk88GT
"Champ"
Big Block

McNitrous

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 02:42:32 pm »

Shit, wrong thread. SORRY GUYS!

Ian
1988 Mustang GT - 8.97 @ 150.46 on 275s!
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ with lots of goodies

Speedos irritate me
liljoe07
"Gentleman Joe"
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

Feed your MILD side

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 05:37:59 pm »

Smoke another one speedo boy! Spt at PC

89 Coupe:
347- Canfield 195's, Holley Systemax II, Jones Cam, 3" Exhaust, 3" Spintechs, QuarterHorse, BE/EA

Well since you friggin disagree with every damn suggestion, just rebuild the piece of shit.
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 05:43:24 pm »

Smoke another one speedo boy! Spt at PC

Thats just...fucked up...and funny as hell.

Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
liljoe07
"Gentleman Joe"
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

Feed your MILD side

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 05:48:05 pm »

Just couldn't resist LOL.

89 Coupe:
347- Canfield 195's, Holley Systemax II, Jones Cam, 3" Exhaust, 3" Spintechs, QuarterHorse, BE/EA

Well since you friggin disagree with every damn suggestion, just rebuild the piece of shit.
Jeff351w
Big Block

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2010, 02:54:25 am »

Very slowfully and painfully  Grin . I did mine out of the block. I tried a couple different methods of doing this and found a Dremel to be the easiest. I roughed then in with a cone shaped carbide cutter, bebured with a fine stone, and then touched them up with some emery cloth. I always used some sort of cutting fluid (WD works ok) at eack stage.

I am seriously considering this.  I have more time than money, and good attention to detail.  The benefits to flow to the mains seem to be obvious.

I take it the flow to your valvetrain is still quite good?

I often have tires with just too much tread or a fuel tank that is just too full. Accept no substitutes!
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2010, 12:43:51 pm »

It is very good. If you follow the oil path, you will notice that opening this passage will increase flow to the entire engine.

I couldn't remember where I seen this little trick (years ago), but stumbled on this in the tech section. Third pic down.

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,10008.0.html

I honestly don't get it.

Jeff351w
Big Block

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 02:37:42 am »

It is very good. If you follow the oil path, you will notice that opening this passage will increase flow to the entire engine.

I couldn't remember where I seen this little trick (years ago), but stumbled on this in the tech section. Third pic down.

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,10008.0.html

Just thinking out loud here... Wonder, Ponder...would it be beneficial for flow to grind down the area of the block between the two oil passages that connect through the main bearing oil groove?  I'm thinking  grind the portion of the block exposed by the oil groove in the bearing, about the depth of the oil groove in the recessed portions of the bearing.  Would that weaken the block in any considerable way?

Also, in the picture you reference (haven't read the article yet), it shows the bearing was not modified around the passage that feeds the camshaft - if I understand the flow correctly.  Why do you think that is?  I know your answer is only speculation - it was Jay's build.  Did you only do the main feed on yours?  Just curious.

juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 12:49:01 pm »

Also, in the picture you reference (haven't read the article yet), it shows the bearing was not modified around the passage that feeds the camshaft - if I understand the flow correctly.  Why do you think that is?  I know your answer is only speculation - it was Jay's build.  Did you only do the main feed on yours?  Just curious.

Yes, I only opened up the main feed. Go look at your block and follow the path of the oil and you will see why. By opening the main feed passage, you remove a restriction from the whole system, everything will oil better. If you open the passage to the cam and valvetrain, it may rob oil from the mains and rods.

Just for reference, I initially primed my engine with the lifters out to verify flow. I was surprised at the amount of oil flow there was at the lifter galley. The top end of this engine also oil better than any SBF I have ever had. Typically, the back cylinders oil great, while the front ones are just OK. On this engine, all of them oil great (the back ones do oil a little better).

I honestly don't get it.

David Claflin
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 01:11:55 pm »

Yes, I only opened up the main feed. Go look at your block and follow the path of the oil and you will see why. By opening the main feed passage, you remove a restriction from the whole system, everything will oil better. If you open the passage to the cam and valvetrain, it may rob oil from the mains and rods.
I've got a block in the garage I'll have to go look at, but for the sake of those who don't does anyone have a diagram of the SBF oiling system?

1990 Red LX, 306, 75MM, ported gt40's, Holley SMII, accufab longtubes, 3" exhaust, 4.10's, 318RWHP/316RWTQ
1985 LTD LX 302, ported TW's, XE-264 cam, ported Holley SMII, 75MM-R TB, MAC 1 3/4" longtubes, 4R70W, mach 1 brakes
1988 GT long term project
69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 01:15:25 pm »

I've got a block in the garage I'll have to go look at, but for the sake of those who don't does anyone have a diagram of the SBF oiling system?

And are the 8.2" deck oiling systems different at all from the 9.2"-9.5" decked SBF engines?

Robert's 1969 Mercury Montego (FordStrokers 408W, QFT 850cfm RQ-AN, Super Victor, 1" aluminum open spacer, CamMotion HR .624"/.609" 251*/256* 108* LSA, 1-3/4" x 3-1/2" headers, Dynomax Ultra #17224 mufflers, C6/4R100 trans, 8"/9" 5500 flash converter, Broader Performance manual V/B, 9" 4.56 Detroit Truetrac, Hoosier Pro Street 31" x 12.5" R15" on 10" rims)

The Merc started here = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,27178.0.html  Now = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,34648.0.html

Thanks to Jim "Woody" and Nicole Woods @ FordStrokers 408W, Westminster Performance Transmission (W.P.T.) transmissions, TCS Performance converters, Broader Performance valvebodies and last but not least a BIG thanks (always) to my friends here and abroad in the World!
David Claflin
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 01:15:57 pm »

I don't believe they are, but ford has done stranger things....

1990 Red LX, 306, 75MM, ported gt40's, Holley SMII, accufab longtubes, 3" exhaust, 4.10's, 318RWHP/316RWTQ
1985 LTD LX 302, ported TW's, XE-264 cam, ported Holley SMII, 75MM-R TB, MAC 1 3/4" longtubes, 4R70W, mach 1 brakes
1988 GT long term project
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: