Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 12:46:24 am

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
414078 Posts in 35420 Topics by 8860 Members
Latest Member: stik50
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Membership Tech
| |-+ Projects Under Construction
| | |-+ Robert's modified '69 Merc
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 301 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robert's modified '69 Merc  (Read 558416 times)
69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 07:23:26 pm »

maybe you could shop around for a deal on a used small runner single plane and do some test and tune?

sell whichever one off and recoup some of the money after some testing

heck if you are gonna need it someday anyway, try to find a deal on a used vic jr or super vic and try it out!

Those are some real good ideas but unless I know the seller I've been burned before and the aggravation for used purchasing isn't worth it to me anymore.

Robert's 1969 Mercury Montego (FordStrokers 408W, QFT 850cfm RQ-AN, Super Victor, 2" aluminum open spacer, CamMotion HR .624/.609 251/256 108, 1-3/4" x 3" headers, Broader Performance RmV/B under a C6/4R100 behind a 8"/9" billet 5500 stall, 9" 4.56 Detroit Truetrac, M/T ET radial streets 315/60-15 on 10" rims)

The Merc started here = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,27178.0.html

Irwindale Speedway 1/8 mile (1st time at a track!) = 7.647 @ 90.78mph with a crappy 1.878 sixty foot (3850# race weight)

Present day Merc = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,34648.0.html

Except that engine building (properly) is a labor intensive industry.  Who do you think does all the measuring and machining?  Little engine shop fairies?  Not to mention assembly, mock up and parts fitting.

At Woody's level you are not just paying for his labor but for his skill set as well.

Thanks FordStrokers 408W, Westminster Performance Transmission (W.P.T.) transmissions, TCS Performance converters, Broader Performance valvebodies and last but not least a BIG thanks (always) to my friends here and abroad in the World!
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 07:37:04 pm »

lookout for local swap meets. there has to be at least 2 good ones a year that arent a far drive
take the girl and make a day out of it. enjoy it. in person, you can usually knock the price down a few bucks also

my dad says his favorite part of the hobby above all else is parts hunting; watching classifieds, searching, going to shows etc. the people you meet and the conversations along the way are all a part of it!

425"
69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 08:10:50 pm »

Thanks, man.

Robert's 1969 Mercury Montego (FordStrokers 408W, QFT 850cfm RQ-AN, Super Victor, 2" aluminum open spacer, CamMotion HR .624/.609 251/256 108, 1-3/4" x 3" headers, Broader Performance RmV/B under a C6/4R100 behind a 8"/9" billet 5500 stall, 9" 4.56 Detroit Truetrac, M/T ET radial streets 315/60-15 on 10" rims)

Irwindale Speedway 1/8 mile (1st time at a track!) = 7.647 @ 90.78mph with a crappy 1.878 sixty foot (3850# race weight)

Except that engine building (properly) is a labor intensive industry.  Who do you think does all the measuring and machining?  Little engine shop fairies?  Not to mention assembly, mock up and parts fitting.

At Woody's level you are not just paying for his labor but for his skill set as well.

Thanks FordStrokers 408W, Westminster Performance Transmission (W.P.T.) transmissions, TCS Performance converters, Broader Performance valvebodies and last but not least a BIG thanks (always) to my friends here and abroad in the World!
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 02:42:29 am »

Jayh, have you ever stacked a four hole spacer on top of an open spacer?  You would have laughed when you saw my old carb guy stacking spacers ridiculously high.  It was a trip but he claimed in certain cases it worked very well for him.

I have but only a 2" on top of a 1", didnt have that much room
did your old crab guy do this on a dual plane intake though? I did and it was fruitless. I can see how it could work on a single plane, just not on a performer rpm. every combo is different, so maybe it does work, Im just not grasping this situation 

I like the car a lot! old iron is especially cool. if it were mine though, Id find a way to keep the hood stock and (other than rims) make it a total sleeper! 

I believe it came to him with an RPM dual plane.  Knowing the carb guy it left with a modified Vic Jr and big carburetor.  Don't remember which intake was on it when I saw it with all the stacked spacers to be honest.  I didn't grasp the concept but know he and the owner said it was working.

I do know my current super sucker style spacer which is a tapered four hole into an open (one spacer) has seemed to pick up at all rpm.  The track will let me know if the top end had picked up.  I would expect a four hole on top of an open to do similar on my Vic Jr intake 289. 

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
grslms51
Stroked Small Block

1988 ranger

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 07:58:03 am »

Merc,your car is a real sleeper..i bet you suprise the shit out of a lot of people that pull up on you.
SteveL
Big Block

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 10:59:22 pm »

Hey Robert...

http://olympic.craigslist.org/cto/1899569476.html

Whistling

69 Mercury Montego MX - $2500 (Aberdeen, WA)
Date: 2010-08-14, 11:17PM PDT
Reply to: sale-8jhxh-1899569476@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

351windsor, C4, edelbrock manifold, carter AFB, Moroso billet aluminum HEI distributor, new coil and 8mm ford racing plug wires, brand new 3.73 traction-lok 3rd member from Randy's Ring and Pinion in completely rebuilt, narrowed rear end, new brakes and rubber all around, new front end bearings and bushings. Ran great and drove daily til parked approx. 5 years ago. No cancer, no missing pieces, good glass, some minor dings, but fairly straight. Good looking, very unique car. Only produced for two years. If you're looking for something different that you won't see every day, this is the car for you. Breaks my heart to part with it. Close to the asking price in new parts alone and I have receipts for most of them. Under hood photo is older and doesn't show new distributor, coil, and plug wires. Call Glenn. 360.538.0960

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Steve.K.Bates

To be honest, when you buy cheap, you invest in disappointment...
-Invalidboy
Blue Oval
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 12:13:41 am »

Robert, I ran my car on a chassis dyno and then ran it with a 2" 4 hole spacer and it actually lost 5 hp.
I guess different cams and heads could produce a different result but I can't see any huge gains with it.
I am running an Air Gap Performer as well.

Your car looks real old school racer. Reminds me of a hotrod movie I saw with James Taylor in it :-)
Can't remember the name now 

347 windsor, AFR 185,Vic Jr,Comp Cams Hyd Roller cam,780 Prosystems carb ,1 5/8" extractors, 4500 stall,4.11:1 Tru Trac. Chassis dyno 370 hp  Best 1/4 mile 11.21 sec at 122.83 mph
Youtube 1 min in..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBI75-l9CQQ
In car video ...
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd159/texasbluesdownunder/?action=view&current=3rdrun21stmay2011.mp4
gtvert90
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 12:30:55 am »

Robert, I ran my car on a chassis dyno and then ran it with a 2" 4 hole spacer and it actually lost 5 hp.
I guess different cams and heads could produce a different result but I can't see any huge gains with it.

Your car looks real old school racer. Reminds me of a hotrod movie I saw with James Taylor in it :-)

Just out of curiosity. Did you look at RPM vs. time?

You can lose horse power by putting on lighter brakes..  but it could still pick up at the track.

Not saying your tests isn't valid. So don't take it that way. Just saying it might not be applicable to all

Phil.
Fordota
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

I believe Dana thinks they landed on the moon

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 01:12:09 am »

Robert I want you to paint your car flat black with black steel rims. I want Stunt Man Mike to drive it. It totally reminds me of my favorite movie Deathproof!

"I want to cheat, but remain in the grey area... not a full blown rat bastard cheater." -347HO

418w + 93 toyota pickup - check it out @  http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,15697.30.html
jtmustang
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 01:15:08 am »

Robert I want you to paint your car flat black with black steel rims. I want Stunt Man Mike to drive it. It totally reminds me of my favorite movie Deathproof!

just watched this last week...... Grin
69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 09:51:33 am »

Hey Robert...

http://olympic.craigslist.org/cto/1899569476.html

Whistling

69 Mercury Montego MX - $2500 (Aberdeen, WA)
Date: 2010-08-14, 11:17PM PDT
Reply to: sale-8jhxh-1899569476@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

351windsor, C4, edelbrock manifold, carter AFB, Moroso billet aluminum HEI distributor, new coil and 8mm ford racing plug wires, brand new 3.73 traction-lok 3rd member from Randy's Ring and Pinion in completely rebuilt, narrowed rear end, new brakes and rubber all around, new front end bearings and bushings. Ran great and drove daily til parked approx. 5 years ago. No cancer, no missing pieces, good glass, some minor dings, but fairly straight. Good looking, very unique car. Only produced for two years. If you're looking for something different that you won't see every day, this is the car for you. Breaks my heart to part with it. Close to the asking price in new parts alone and I have receipts for most of them. Under hood photo is older and doesn't show new distributor, coil, and plug wires. Call Glenn. 360.538.0960

Thanks.  Now you can see the nightmare those shock towers pose!

Fitting my 1-3/4" LT headers there was a two day PITA!!!  (But worth it . . .) 

69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 10:01:02 am »

From my signature you'll see I have a 2" four-hole spacer on top of a 2" open spacer.  That open spacer wakes up my restrictive Air-Gap manifold and the four-hole spacer is to help with street manners due to my OTS camshaft on a DD.

With a custom camshaft a Vic Jr. would be on my engine without a four-hole spacer.  Or maybe a Vic Sr. intake with some four-hole spacers.  It would depend on how it handles around the streets because this is my DD.

As long as it takes off good and doesn't sputter when the engine is cold around the streets then I'm not too worried about 5hp.  Also -- even if the dyno shows 5hp more while I'm trying to accelerate on the street it will probably actually be slower due to a worse carb signal which means the A/F aren't getting optimally mixed.

Blue Oval
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 05:49:18 pm »

Interesting Point Vert.
I'm going back to the track in early Oct and am going to try it without the air cleaner. That test proved no gain on the dyno as well but could well make a difference at the track. I guess the dyno doesn't take wind resistance or engine acceleration into account.

347 windsor, AFR 185,Vic Jr,Comp Cams Hyd Roller cam,780 Prosystems carb ,1 5/8" extractors, 4500 stall,4.11:1 Tru Trac. Chassis dyno 370 hp  Best 1/4 mile 11.21 sec at 122.83 mph
Youtube 1 min in..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBI75-l9CQQ
In car video ...
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd159/texasbluesdownunder/?action=view&current=3rdrun21stmay2011.mp4
69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 05:51:23 pm »

Interesting Point Vert.
I'm going back to the track in early Oct and am going to try it without the air cleaner. That test proved no gain on the dyno as well but could well make a difference at the track. I guess the dyno doesn't take wind resistance or engine acceleration into account.

I wouldn't.  What if something you don't want gets in your engine and ruins it?  Or scratches up your bearings which will lower it's life expectancy?

A member here just tried it and it didn't change his times at the track.

gtvert90
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 09:42:42 pm »

Interesting Point Vert.

I wouldn't.  What if something you don't want gets in your engine and ruins it?  Or scratches up your bearings which will lower it's life expectancy?

A member here just tried it and it didn't change his times at the track.

Robert. Nothing against you. Or the other member.. I maybe think it was Bobby but don't remember.

But I think far more racers race with an air pan and no filter than then do with a filter. Again. I think. I'm not sure.

Obviously it depends on location too.. But there must be something to it.  Wonder, Ponder

Phil.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 301 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: