Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2018, 06:53:45 am

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435277 Posts in 37275 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Transmissions/Differentials
| | |-+ Flywheel bolts question
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Flywheel bolts question  (Read 7611 times)
F3AR M3
Stroked Small Block

« on: August 06, 2010, 11:53:43 am »

Can I reuse the AOD Flywheel bolts on the 5spd Flywheel? Im doing a 5spd swap and just need the flywheel bolts.
oldmanjoe
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

ya `ll play nice ye-hear

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 12:40:59 pm »

not really they tend to be too short, by about 1/2 inch.    joe

Still in the classroom hopefully still awake !!!
 A mind is like a parachute it ONLY works when it is OPEN
 Grandpa`s word`s of wisdom, joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack
 Only a rich man can afford cheap parts, because he can afford to replace them
 If you did not understand what i said,say so and i will try and explain it another way
Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Don`t get frustrated...get educated,you are at the library now ,so start reading .
Life`s journey is not to arrive at the grave Safely in a well preserved body,Rather to skid in sideways, out of control, totally worn out, Shouting Holy shit what a ride.
Inside the box is too crowded for me!!! besides every time you get going you run in to another corner.
 SPEED READING and written technical information , Don`t go together
Time is the best teacher, but most of its students die before learning the lessons.
IF YOUR READING COMPREHENSION IS NOT
OF A 5TH GRADE LEVEL DO NOT PROCEED {jay allen}
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
F3AR M3
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 12:49:19 pm »

I measured them and they are 1inch in lenght not including the head of the bolt.
oldmanjoe
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

ya `ll play nice ye-hear

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 01:22:53 pm »

the crank shaft  flange is 1 inch thick .   the flex plate is .100 thick.       my aluminum fly wheel is .300 thick .   i believe a stock steel flywheel is about the same.      the stock manual flywheel  bolts are a little longer by at least 1/4 inch, going from memory.   joe

Grandpa`s word`s of wisdom, joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack
 If you did not understand what i said,say so and i will try and explain it another way
Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Don`t get frustrated...get educated,you are at the library now ,so start reading .
Life`s journey is not to arrive at the grave Safely in a well preserved body,Rather to skid in sideways, out of control, totally worn out, Shouting Holy shit what a ride.
Inside the box is too crowded for me!!! besides every time you get going you run in to another corner.
Time is the best teacher, but most of its students die before learning the lessons.
F3AR M3
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 01:40:46 pm »

So I cant use them? this is all I need to finish my swap are the flywheel bolts. I have everything ready just to bolt on.
RunninHorse
Big Block

Órale!

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 01:58:56 pm »

So I cant use them? this is all I need to finish my swap are the flywheel bolts. I have everything ready just to bolt on.

I have stock flywheel bolts.  Cover shipping and they're yours.

I'm Rob.  Working on my '93 Reef Blue coupe.  Stock internal 302, 80 MAF, 75 TB, Victor 5.0, High Ports, 30# inj., B303, 1.6s, Tremec TKO 3550, Quicktime bell, Fidanza Al flywheel, stage 3 ceramic clutch, & 4.10s.  12.68 @ 111.69
'66 F100 shortbed, 352ci, 3 on the tree - on hold
'65 Coupe rolling chassis - on hold
Parts I'm selling: 
Hardened Push Rods - Trick Flow 6.2" .080 - $60
Misc. Fox Body Interior Pieces
jtmustang
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 02:00:42 pm »

i just went out and measured a set of oem flexplate and flywheel bolts and the flywheel ones were just a hair longer not even an 1/8" longer though.. Wonder, Ponder
F3AR M3
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 02:16:13 pm »

But will they work? Im trying to finish this 5spd swap by sat.
oldmanjoe
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

ya `ll play nice ye-hear

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 02:30:11 pm »

for the cheap insurance, i would get 1 1/2 inch long bolts.      75 - 85 foot pounds torque on the bolts is not worth the possibility  of stripping the threads in the crankshaft , plus the bolt hole is threw the flange.    less chance of oil leak.  bolts- auto parts store will have them,  possibly home depot or other stores will have them .  7/16 fine thread.   joe

F3AR M3
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 03:49:34 pm »

What size bolts are the ones that go to the bell housing?
oldmanjoe
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

ya `ll play nice ye-hear

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 09:43:30 pm »

bell housing to block is 7/16 coarse thread, transmission to bell are metric 12.    joe 

F3AR M3
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 12:09:25 am »

Are the bell housing to block the same size bolts?
oldmanjoe
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

ya `ll play nice ye-hear

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 12:50:52 am »

there are 2 different lengths   , but all 7/16 coarse thread .         should be able to use the one from the automatic transmission.   joe

F3AR M3
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 01:08:35 am »

Are the bolts that go to the tranny and bell housing coarse or find thread. So the length of the AOD bolts will work on the T5..
oldmanjoe
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

ya `ll play nice ye-hear

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 01:38:14 am »

Are the bolts that go to the tranny and bell housing coarse or find thread. So the length of the AOD bolts will work on the T5..
   transmission to bell housing [ stock aluminum  ] are metric bolts 12 , about 1-1/2 long.     joe

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: