Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2018, 08:47:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
435157 Posts in 37249 Topics by 9534 Members
Latest Member: 88_GT
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Membership Tech
| |-+ Projects Under Construction
| | |-+ my 1965 Falcon
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: my 1965 Falcon  (Read 93796 times)
the only Qualk
Stroked Small Block

« on: July 26, 2010, 01:02:21 am »

well for starters this is a great site.

My car is a 1965 ford falcon 2 door sedan. bench seats front and rear.

Bought the car with 289 and c-4. lots of blow by with engine but was still fun.
long story short blew top of radiator went to change water pump as was more than likely cause and every bolt snapped. got pissed yanked it. was only 17 and still learning a lot so got in over my head. but i bought parts anyways. i suppose i did ok.

so kinda skip to now parts installed:
750 holley vacuum secondary 78 jet till tommorrow
funnel web intake
windsor sr. heads small gasket match
ford racing 1.6 roller rockers
ford racing z-cam
arp wave loc rod bolts
arp head and main bolts with stud girdle
ebay valve covers
proform electric water pump
ford racing oil pump
doug thorley tr-y 1 5/8" w/ 2.5"

disc brake front
drum rear
cable clutch
anderson ford aluminum flywheel and king cobra clutch
t-5 trans
holley blue fuel pump
-8 aluminum line
electric fan
griffin radiator
6.5" filter

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/video/video.php?v=421761556888&ref=mf

1965 Ford Falcon Sedan 302, 5 spd, 4.62 gear
street car
BirdMan
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 03:05:40 am »

Sounded good!  It was idling okay and no smoke out exhaust.  Did you rebuild or change out engine?  What front brakes did you use?  Why the jetting changes, just curious as to how you are determining what size is needed?  Are you using power valves?

Now get some mufflers and a bit of tailpipes and drive it, sounds like it will be a whole lot of fun

Son's 412W Build Information;
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,19018.0.html
Son's '64 Falcon Performance Information;
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,25183.0.html
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 07:29:30 am »

Im curious about the brakes as well?

how do you like those headers?

is this a 302 now?

how do you like that cam? how are its manners? whats it pull to?

do you have any tips and tricks for the cable setup on the t-5? how is the shifter location where it comes through the floor?

425" pump gas 6.2@110
the only Qualk
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 01:48:37 pm »

Sounded good!  It was idling okay and no smoke out exhaust.  Did you rebuild or change out engine?  What front brakes did you use?  Why the jetting changes, just curious as to how you are determining what size is needed?  Are you using power valves?

Now get some mufflers and a bit of tailpipes and drive it, sounds like it will be a whole lot of fun
yea it sounds like it has a little hiccup vacuum at idle is right at 10 dipping down a little here and there. changed and rebuilt. had 289 rebuilt a 302 with parts you see.
front brakes use an s 10 caliper, ranger rotor. i have link at home as to the company but it seems to be decent.
the jet changes are not too accurate yet. i took it for the drive and down low it seemed like it was loading up with fuel. then i would get passed it and it seemed like a dead spot. in all honesty i have not driven it enough to tell accurately and my car has idled more than anything so i will know more tonight after work how my changes have affected it.
i only have 30 degrees timing in it now and i am using a 6.5 power valve i may need to change powervalve and or squirter has 31 squirter now. only other one i have is a 28.
tonight i will be getting mufflers on. just an exhaust kit i bought its jegs i am only using the straight through glasspack style mufflers. header pipe muffler then dump near rear just have to be careful of fuel tank and pump. 
i will get back with you after work jay h lol and any other questions that may arise. thanks all Cheesy

street car
the only Qualk
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 12:42:27 pm »

Im curious about the brakes as well?

how do you like those headers?

is this a 302 now?

how do you like that cam? how are its manners? whats it pull to?

do you have any tips and tricks for the cable setup on the t-5? how is the shifter location where it comes through the floor?
the headers do fit a little tight in spots but hammer to the car fixed that. i want to try the hooker super comps being 1 3/4" primary and 3" collector.

it is a 302 (0.040 over )

the cam sounds good at idle and thats all i really have until i get the carburetor fully tuned.
i am buying the accelerator pump tuning kit today hopefully so i can solve that issue.

tips well it deff does flex a bit at the firewall so the people that add in pieces of metal to distribute the load are deff right in  doing so. i did a super simple not really best case of getting the cable to work. i welded about 2" on top of the pedal. then to the drivers side of the pedal i welded basicallly an L with a cut in the middle of it. then i put a sleeve between the L and the end of the cable. it works but deff not the best.

street car
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 01:17:55 pm »

so its a 308ci

Im interested in how the 1 3/4 headers fit, LUK

425" pump gas 6.2@110
the only Qualk
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 05:48:45 pm »

correct 308... and indeed i would love to see how they fit

street car
McMustang5.0
"McLovin"
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 01:33:28 am »

Hey man nice job on the car! That thing sounds nasty! How quick are you in the 1/4?

My grandpa has a falcon with a 351 cleveland in it. Its sweet too.

BTW I added you on facebook, I'm Aaron and the profile pic is the ass end of my mustang!

91 LX 5.0... Windsor Jr heads, Novi 1000, Bullet cam and Full Team Z suspension on coilovers
93 GT... 359 Windsor, Novi 2000, Bullet cam, AFR 205s and a TFS Box R
the only Qualk
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 11:05:57 pm »

Hey man nice job on the car! That thing sounds nasty! How quick are you in the 1/4?

My grandpa has a falcon with a 351 cleveland in it. Its sweet too.

BTW I added you on facebook, I'm Aaron and the profile pic is the ass end of my mustang!
i just drove it for the first tie this past week lol. thanks though and i have to see i am having little issue get valves set correctly. i went through them a couple times still seems like they are makin too much noise so not sure may be collapsed lifter. and i have one pushrod that is rubbing a bit of material off from itself on guide plate. pushrods look to be a touch long so will need to look into new ones.
is there a solid way to verify if a lifter is collapsed?
i know valves are not entirely set right as not steady vacuum which i believe can rectified. still moe tuning needed. thanks all.

street car
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 08:33:16 am »

do you have hardened pushrods? sounds like you dont they are needed with guideplates for sure.

also sounds like pushrod length is off.

425" pump gas 6.2@110
the only Qualk
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 06:41:13 pm »

do you have hardened pushrods? sounds like you dont they are needed with guideplates for sure.

also sounds like pushrod length is off.

yea i know they are i need to make a pushrod checker. probably will do so tonight. and yes i know they are a little long.
i know some things with this setup are not correct. I am trying to fix them as i can. thats why basically i should not have done what i did in high school. but i did here i am and i am making things work. and making them work properly. so yes i need pushrods. anyway to tell though if is collapsed lifter?

also anyone that uses poly lock type rocker nuts. i have comp cams stud girdles with poly locks. do you have issues with them backing off?

street car
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 01:11:13 pm »

I've only had one back off.  That was after I hit the rev limiter hard with the 8,000 rpm pill in the MSD 6al on an attempted 2-3 power shift at the track that didn't go into 3rd.  Pretty sure that found the one rocker I hadn't quite tightened down enough and backed it off.  Never had any other problems and I've run them for a long time now and in a daily driver application with a solid cam back in college.  I worry more about checking tire pressure periodically on the street than poly locks backing off.

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
BirdMan
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 01:21:20 pm »

The polylocks need to get the end of the stud grooved by the setscrews as most are not flat.  The only ones I have seen flat are the ARP's.

The procedure I use is backoff the setscrew slightly, adjust locknut for drag on feeler gauge, hold locknut with wrench, run setscrew down snug (this will loosen feeler gauge), tighted both together at the same time and then check clearance and it should be correct most times.  If not back off both until loose, turn the setscrew in if needing more clearance, turn setscrew out if needing less clearance, tighten both wrench/nut and setscrew together again.  Recheck clearance.

Son's 412W Build Information;
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,19018.0.html
Son's '64 Falcon Performance Information;
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,25183.0.html
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 02:20:19 pm »

The polylocks need to get the end of the stud grooved by the setscrews as most are not flat.  The only ones I have seen flat are the ARP's.

The procedure I use is backoff the setscrew slightly, adjust locknut for drag on feeler gauge, hold locknut with wrench, run setscrew down snug (this will loosen feeler gauge), tighted both together at the same time and then check clearance and it should be correct most times.  If not back off both until loose, turn the setscrew in if needing more clearance, turn setscrew out if needing less clearance, tighten both wrench/nut and setscrew together again.  Recheck clearance.

That's what works for me.

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 04:48:12 pm »

are your brake brackets from "scarebird classics LLC"?

says it uses 2wd ranger rotors, 2wd s10 calipers, and cadillac hoses  Hmmmmm

425" pump gas 6.2@110
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: