Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2018, 05:13:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435217 Posts in 37257 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots Other Ford Engines
| | |-+ 73 351 cleveland cobra jet
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 73 351 cleveland cobra jet  (Read 3670 times)
56fordf100
2stroke

« on: July 08, 2010, 05:05:36 pm »

hey everyone i just found this site its really nice lots of good topics on here about ford engines and there is prolly one on here about the question i am getting ready to ask but i am new here and theres thousands of post, so here it is. I am getting ready to build a 351 cleveland cobra jet 4v open chambered heads and i was just wanting to get some ideas on how to build it, i am gonna try and just rebuild the low end with new bearings and so forth. I am not gonna bore the engine if i dont have to, everything that i have seen so far its in pretty good shape i am gonna have the crank polished. So what i am asking is how would u guys build the top end of this engine its going in a 54 ford f100 show truck so i am looking for something that sounds really good but also has a little bit of power i am not gonna spend 4000 dallors on this engine just a good rebuild with a new cam , carb and intake so ideas would be great thanks
Michael Bryce Winnick
2stroke

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 08:56:00 pm »

I would consider abandoning the idea.  A show truck is not going to be a real driver or a terror at the track. You will get a lot more motor for your money with a plain vanilla 289-302 (SBF).  You can pull them out of the yard for nothing.  I have a 351C 4V.  Your open chambered heads are not your friend as the ports are the size of your fist.  Ford had the right idea, but never enough h.p in the engine to make those heads work with that cid.  I use my 4v heads, but I stroked my motor to a 408 so I can use them.  If you want this thing streetable, consider 2v heads and keep it pretty much a stocker with a few bolt ons.  Keep your cam mild.(headers\carb/manifold/aluminum accessories/etc.)

If I had a '54 I would really consider a 239 flathead. (in Canada they used them until '54 so it is sort of correct.  It is definitely period correct.  Then you would be Tommy Salami.  I gave away a '52 so I could start a '66 F-100.  Mistake.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: