Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 01:35:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
415108 Posts in 35499 Topics by 8884 Members
Latest Member: councilxvb32
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Small Block Talk
| |-+ Small Block Windsors
| | |-+ 289 Small Blocks
| | | |-+ Options with stock heads
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Options with stock heads  (Read 5460 times)
acdcdave1387
4 Banger

« on: June 28, 2010, 01:10:50 am »

Hey everyone, so I've decided to save the money and just use the factory heads. Things were just getting more expensive for me too fast so I started thinking rationally.....as this is not a racer, nor a daily driver...then it really doesn't need the best of the best.

With that said, what are some of the worthwhile things I should/could do to factory 289 heads?
How much would it cost to get them ported, do you think?

I'm going with the comp cams XE274H, expecially now after I heard what it sounds like courtesy of youtube. I've got all the part numbers written out and I'll call comp tomorrow and ask them about some things. The giudeplates and seals both say they require machining? I get the machining so the seals fit properly, but what machining is needed to fit the guideplates? They are part # 4816-8

Thanks to everyone at SBFtech, I've only been a member a week or two and already I've been helped so much. Enjoy July 4th!

I'm so hungry...but not for power....for FOOD!!!
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 10:27:43 am »

Maybe someone would be willing to give you a pair of E7 heads.
All you'd need to do is have them decked and rebuilt.

I've given 3 sets away and out of stock.

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
acdcdave1387
4 Banger

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 03:33:35 pm »

Oh and another quick question....I read in a George Reid book that the Intake valve size of my 66 289 came stock at soemthing like 1.67" or so. But I'm reading everywhere else that I can use 1.78" intake valves...

Do I need to get the heads ported or anything to allow this? or can I simply swap them out?

I'm sorry still a noob

I'm so hungry...but not for power....for FOOD!!!
mighty mouse
"Prom King Mista Nathan Moonen"
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 03:42:44 pm »

Measure your valves.

You can not simply swap to a bigger valve - the head needs to be cut for them.  But if you are thinking of modifying stock heads for bigger valves (and all the extras that will always follow that procedure)... you are simply wasting your money.

1986 Mustang GT Convertible
Suspension and Differential by Team Z Motorsports
8.2 Deck Forged Shortblock by FordStrokers

With a Novi2000...

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
FivePointOhh
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 05:20:22 pm »

i'm willing to sell my modified 289 heads. going with a new motor build so i'm parting out my old stuff. i also have a set of e7's that are fairly fresh but no valve springs.

89 fox coupe, mild 302 HCI
FivePointOhh
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 05:27:03 pm »

i'm willing to sell my modified 289 heads. going with a new motor build so i'm parting out my old stuff. i also have a set of e7's that are fairly fresh but no valve springs.

the heads pictured have everything done you've just talked about. well over 700 done in machine work and another 200-300 in parts. only about 1000 miles on them. pretty stout running. also i ran a comp cam xe270hr-14

capri302
Small Block

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 07:27:26 pm »

Did you noticed that the coolant holes that connect to the block  are not at the same place like a E7  Hmmmmm

347HO
Section Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 07:38:21 pm »

Did you noticed that the coolant holes that connect to the block  are not at the same place like a E7  Hmmmmm

When you overlay the gasket, you'll know if it will work.

If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
capri302
Small Block

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 07:41:19 pm »

Yes and it does not work  Wonder, Ponder
347HO
Section Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 08:48:03 pm »

What holes?
The steam holes or the large passages on the ends?

Javier
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 11:51:49 pm »

what? hwat are you trying to say here?

425"
capri302
Small Block

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 06:34:22 am »

what? hwat are you trying to say here?

Just don't forget to drill the block if you use those heads.
I did that mistake years ago 
Also, the intake bolt length should be checked as they may require slightly longer bolts.
Also, be careful when you install the intake manifold, front and rear bolts don't have direct support and you may damage your intake.
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 07:30:23 am »

I ran 289 heads on 3different roller 302 blocks, never drilled anything, never had any problems

425"
347HO
Section Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 09:12:57 am »

I ran 289 heads on 3different roller 302 blocks, never drilled anything, never had any problems
I believe he's talking about the steam holes in the block, which don't align with the holes in the E7 heads.

I have done this only once, and it was a long time ago, but my memory has me thinking it was only the alignment of the gasket holes.
I just cut out the holes in the gasket to encompass both holes.  I don't remember having to drill anything.

If I'm wrong, let me know.  Post up some pictures.

Javier
FivePointOhh
Big Block

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 09:13:30 am »

im running them now and there is no issues. it works.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: