Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2018, 11:03:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435268 Posts in 37272 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Membership Tech
| |-+ Product Reviews
| | |-+ Harbor Freight tools
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Harbor Freight tools  (Read 40811 times)
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2011, 09:45:10 pm »

Im impressed with some of their tool boxes. I actually think they are nicer than craftsman

Ive gotten a few things that worked good, most of it has been junk though

425" pump gas 6.2@110
WKERacing
Big Block

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2011, 10:06:31 pm »

I'm still using a craftsman box i got over 20 years ago, I want a nice long flat top box.

Wondering about the engine hoists that they carry.

Also would like to find a nice sized bolt bin like what a hardware store uses, the metal ones.
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2011, 11:32:16 pm »

home depot just had a husky box that looked like a good buy. it was pretty wide

425" pump gas 6.2@110
bikefreak600
Small Block

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2012, 08:43:03 pm »

my brother bought their largest low profile aluminum jack... its nicer than my craftsman aluminum jack.
i have their largest blast cabinet. 6 years still works like new.

engine hoist 12 years still works perfect.  used alot too. + engine stands are just fine.

some air tools from them work ok for the money.

hydraulic pipe bender had for 10+ years works great.

their welding magnets & clamps work awesome for cheap$ ... i know its just a magnet hahaha

so far all of their abrasives (consumables blast powders, silica & soda) and grinding/ cutoff wheels are good buys

some things i would NEVER  buy from harbor freight... most any electronics  like welders, drill press,  saws, grinders, band saws, lathes etc.
you can easily walk through the store and quickly decide which products are quality or not.
gtvert90
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2012, 12:36:11 am »

Which jack did you get it? I got one. its garbage. within a year it leaks like crazy.

Phil.
95GTspeeddemon
Big Block

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2012, 08:53:00 am »

i have the one with the single long roller in the front, i love it.

95gt, stock forged 302 shirtblock, canfield 195's, canfield efi intake; efi sheetmetal elbow, xe258 (208/216 .550), 90mm accufab TB, 69mm gt45, 3in cold side, a/a intercooler, water injection, ba5000 maf, 80lb injectors, moates quarterhorse, stock manifold modified & a log manifold, twin 2in up pipes, 60mm wg, 3.5 dp dumped, 14psi, 3.27s, solid bushing rear upper/lower team z suspension, team z tubular k member and A arms, front coil overs with strange 10 way all the way around. TKO600, stock flywheel, ram replacement pressure plate and kevlar/organic disc. 450rwhp 12.39 @ 123.5mph 3400lbs
bikefreak600
Small Block

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2012, 05:08:18 pm »

thats what he got.  he has only had it for 6-8 months.  but it really is better quality than my craftsman
gtvert90
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2012, 06:37:35 pm »

thats what he got.  he has only had it for 6-8 months.  but it really is better quality than my craftsman

I have the one wtih 2 rollers in front. could have just been a lemon I suppose.. it leaks like crazy out where the shaft to lower it goes.

I was just looking for a jack that would raise the highest.

Phil.
Fst Blk
Bill Watson
Big Block

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2012, 08:28:42 pm »

That's the one the wife got me for Christmas last year... 59 bux FTW  Grin

Bill

67 MUSTANG FASTBACK... on Jackstands

Living the dream or running it down... Haven't figured out which yet.

http://67fastback.webs.com/
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2012, 09:36:42 pm »

the jacks are hit and miss too. I have one and its a piece of shit. my buddy has one and his will actually hold something up

I bought an electric die grinder there that actually works pretty good

any type of pliers are junk. at least that has been my experience

one thing is for sure, if I didnt have one local where I can hold it in my hand before I bought it, I probably wouldnt buy anything from there

come to think of it I havent had much luck with air tools from there, somehow I always had good luck with campbell hausfield though(maybe just me lol)

425" pump gas 6.2@110
WKERacing
Big Block

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2012, 10:06:14 pm »

Jack is doing good
1/2 impact extensions snapped with just a hand ratchet
air tools, had to replace one, the rest are still holding up

that "Jegs" creeper is a big P.O.S.
craftsman 3/4 wrench, Snappp
95GTspeeddemon
Big Block

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2012, 10:08:31 pm »

i have a 7/8 1/2in socket (says impact but its just painted black lol) that has held of to occasional uses at work.
mac flip socket 19/21mm is no good for repeated use on the 21mm, its too thin walled.

95gt, stock forged 302 shirtblock, canfield 195's, canfield efi intake; efi sheetmetal elbow, xe258 (208/216 .550), 90mm accufab TB, 69mm gt45, 3in cold side, a/a intercooler, water injection, ba5000 maf, 80lb injectors, moates quarterhorse, stock manifold modified & a log manifold, twin 2in up pipes, 60mm wg, 3.5 dp dumped, 14psi, 3.27s, solid bushing rear upper/lower team z suspension, team z tubular k member and A arms, front coil overs with strange 10 way all the way around. TKO600, stock flywheel, ram replacement pressure plate and kevlar/organic disc. 450rwhp 12.39 @ 123.5mph 3400lbs
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2012, 11:40:04 pm »

lol I didnt even think of that. I had 3/8 extensions from there that broke the very first time I used them!

425" pump gas 6.2@110
MeanMussy
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2012, 01:04:19 am »

I try to only buy "dumb" tools (hammers, axe, pry bar, jack stands, etc) there.  Anything that plugs into the wall or requires any precision, I stay away from.  I have a motor hoist and stand from there, and they've worked fine.  I looked a lot of their aluminum jacks and they all just looked poorly built, so I've stayed away.  I think the 3 ton jack I have in the garage was picked up from Tractor Supply.  The thing is a beast, feels like it was carved out of billet steel, but it's still low profile enough to get under the Stang and it hasn't given me a bit of trouble. 

Haystack
Big Block

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2012, 05:11:37 am »

0ut of probably 15 jacks I have used from harbor freight, about three were mine personally, never had a single problem. My favorite jack that I carried in my daily driver, was a 3 ton orange jack. Sat outside for years, and I can still jack up a car on the center of the k-member till the back bumper touches. Only complaint is that after 7 years, the paint is fading and its a bit touchy when you drop it down. I don't use extensions unless I really can't get to something.

Overall, I have gotten lucky with most of the things I have bought. Most I would put against craftsman for strength or durability. Finish used to really suck, but is getting much better. But quality is still really hit or miss with certain tools. I've also never had a problem with the grinders I have bought there.

The mechanics at my last work bought quite a bit more harbor freight tools then anything else. The mac and snap on stuff they would buy more or less as a back up or for their personal tools. Then they would use the harbor freight stuff it they knew it was a job hard on the tools, or likely to break them.

1987 Ford thunderbird. sn-95 t-5, f-150 clutch and flywheel behind a 5.0 s.o. weighs about 3500lbs.
1986 cougar gs. 5.0 s.o. and aod.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: