Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2018, 11:14:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435155 Posts in 37248 Topics by 9534 Members
Latest Member: 88_GT
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Membership Tech
| |-+ Product Reviews
| | |-+ Harbor Freight tools
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Harbor Freight tools  (Read 36992 times)
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« on: June 15, 2010, 10:42:21 pm »

I have picked up a few things from there lately and thought I would share

I have been wanting a auto darkening welding shield for a while. I have heard good things about these and decided to try one out. I waited a little while and what do you know, got it on sale. While I haven't used it a lot, my initial impressions are very good.

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/welding-accessories/adjustable-shade-auto-darkening-welding-helmet-46092.html

After Dustin started a thread about threaded inserts a couple months ago, I decided to try out one of these. I have to say, I have used the Hell out of it on my car. I would probably rate it as one of my more favored tools. I don't know how I got by without one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/hand-riveters/45-piece-threaded-insert-riveter-kit-1210.html

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
85_GT
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 12:18:04 am »

Yes, they do have pretty good stuff, but some not so good to.  You kinda get the feel after years what's a good deal.  I've had their auto helmet probably over 15 years, still works great for a casual use.  Picked up another like above probably 3-4 years ago to keep at the other house.  You can't go wrong for 40 bucks.

Use to always by the better stuff.  These days been buying mostly theirs.  At the prices, they're disposables.  5.99 for an impact hammer, works as good as my ingersal rand.  11.99 for a 1/2" impact wrench. ditto.  Even they're HVLP spray guns work as good as my binks guns.

But then there's other stuff that isn't good.  Example, 2.99 PVC cutter - useless.

If there's a store in your area, you can spend hours looking around.  Smiley

85GT, Dart Windsor Jr, Crane 2030 equiv. Performer 5.0, 75mm TB, 88mm Slot, 34lbs injectors, 1 5/8" shorties, 5spd converted to 4R70W with Baumann controller, 3.25 9"
A9L running A9P bin via Quarterhorse with LC-1
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 12:28:07 am »

These were just some things I wanted to try out. Both of these tools are kind of outside the "normal" tool range, so I thought I should do a "test drive" first. I have no problem buying higher end tools, but these have been up to the task so far.

Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
JeffB2
6 Banger

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 03:00:09 am »

The brake bleeder that sells for $29 that kinda looks like a paint gun is awesome! It hooks up to your air compressor and works fast! I put new wheel cylinders,new lines and converted to a dual master in my '54 project car,typical hot day in AZ and had sucked down a few extra PBR's and forgot to bench bleed master cyl,no big deal all the air gone and a solid pedal in less than 10 minutes Grin
gtvert90
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 03:07:42 am »

The brake bleeder that sells for $29 that kinda looks like a paint gun is awesome!
I 2nd that I haven't had any problems with mine...

I bough a leak down tester there. Opened it up a week later to use it and one of the gauges were messed up OOTB brought it back got a new one and no problems.

So far haven't had any problems with the A/C gauges.. Haven't played with them much tho.

Fuel pressure gauge works fine.. Wish I was smart and got the one with the molded case and not the styrofoam and cardboard box.

Happy with the Vacuum gauge also.

Waiting for the noid light set to go on sale again and gonna pick that up. it was on sale for $15 a few weeks ago.

Picked up a brake caliper tool to spin the pistons back in for $10 can't go wrong there.

I did buy a jack there that I'm not thrilled with for the price I payed. But it lifts the car up and down.. I guess I can't complain too much.  

Oh and before I forget.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html/SingleMagLanders/americanprofile/images/20_c.jpg

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html/SingleMagLanders/americanprofile/images/flash_c.jpg 

Phil.
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 09:46:26 am »

My first full set of "professional tools" back in 1991, when I started the shop full time was from them ( .... hey I had a small budget). Where can you get a 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2"  full set of sockets SAE and metric (Pittsburgh) for $65.00? By The Way.... I still use most of them, believe it or not. Some of their "special tools" offerings are not worth trying unless they are from a recognized brand like S-K. I also bought my Mityvac pump set  (when they had the metal pump available, not the plastic one) back in 1993...... and to this day it works fine.

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 10:15:37 am »

I have all the tools talked about above. I'm an electrician and expect quility in my tools and my work. I can't afford the highest quality automotive type tools so I use what works and what I can afford. I have klien and greelee electrical hand tools for my profession. My auto tools consist of craftsman,some matco, snap on, sk.  i have a haror freight 2 miles from my house and I can look through their tools before I buy and have had no problem returning the ones that don't work well.I give them an A+ for customer service. One other tool not given much credit is the great neck sockets from auto zone. Where else can you get   deep and short  sockets metric or std. in all sizes 5/16'' to 7/8'' or 8mm to 19 for $20.00. with a lifetime warranty.

Ray
FordRacing250
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 12:56:03 pm »

I have a few small angle and die grinders from H/F that work very well over the years.
on their auto welding hood, I didnt like it much, not enough adjustability and too slow activation. When it comes to my eyes, I trust my miller elite, and also like speedglass alot

RaceTec Pistons
tim@racetecpistons.com
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 01:00:12 pm »

on their auto welding hood, I didnt like it much, not enough adjustability and too slow activation.

The one I bought has a switch that adjusts the speed of activation. As I said before, this is more of a trial run on that type of tool. I do like the auto shield and will upgrade if i feel its needed.

I honestly don't get it.

ddillon
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 01:12:07 pm »

Any of you guys tried the aluminum floor jack on sale for $59.95? I have thought about picking one up and trying it out.

darren
gtvert90
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 01:52:37 pm »

Any of you guys tried the aluminum floor jack on sale for $59.95? I have thought about picking one up and trying it out.

darren

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/floor-jacks/rapid-pump-4000-lb-capacity-lightweight-low-profile-aluminum-racing-jack-92782.html

The on in the link is the one I have... I'm not happy with it for what I payed but it works. I may need to add more fluid to it? I don't know. Doesn't roll well. the rubber pad came off. Takes way more than 6 pumps to raise the vehicle (may need more fluid) And the handle is sometimes hard to turn when you want to lower it. You have to pull up on it a bit. I think thats it  Grin

Phil.
2ndgen
6 Banger

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 02:42:33 pm »

darren

I looked at that one; it appears OK and several online reviews are positive. Note that it has limited lift hieght and limited load capacity...

Personally I bought the Arcan XL35R jack at Costco for $89. It weighs a little over 100 lbs but has great lift hieght, is low profile, and great load capacity. As long as you just roll the unit around and don't try to pick it up it is fantastic!

After comparing the two the HF unit looks like a toy; but if I needed something I could transport (like to the track) I would probably try it out.

-Rory

gtvert90
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 03:08:17 pm »

I think im going to pick one of those up if there still $85. I can just leave it in the garage shouldn't be a huge deal that it weights so much.  Thanx!

Phil.
ddillon
Big Block

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 03:36:59 pm »

thanks Phil and Rory, i appreciate your advice !!  I may pick one later.

darren
Fordota
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

I believe Dana thinks they landed on the moon

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 03:39:23 pm »

darren

Got it. I works great and its great on my back to pack out in the gravel. But like said the rubber comes right off.

"I want to cheat, but remain in the grey area... not a full blown rat bastard cheater." -347HO

418w + 93 toyota pickup - check it out @  http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,15697.30.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: