Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2018, 02:57:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
434547 Posts in 37193 Topics by 9529 Members
Latest Member: notchbackjoe
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Library Tech Library Tech
| |-+ Tech Articles/Sticky's Section
| | |-+ Engine 101 Video Room
| | | |-+ Heres a Balancing video for everyone.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heres a Balancing video for everyone.  (Read 11733 times)
eboost
Small Block

Location: Melbourne, Australia...But currerntly in California

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 11:14:31 am »

Best vid i've seen yet!!
FivePointOhh
Big Block

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 12:05:24 pm »

hmmmm mark o'neal eh? interesting information from him....

Mark O'Neal: And the last one we put together with stock heads made 330 HP and about the same in torque.

stock headed 347 stroker put down 330? Wonder, Ponder

Mark O'neal: An the increase in driveability of the car with the 347 instead of the 302 is immense...even with stock heads.

oh really? Hmmmmm

Mark O'neal: 410 n/a, 454 rwhp on 6# of boost. I don't like chassis dynos...I don't really care what the converter and exhaust system are doing.

9.0:1 crappy head and an OTS cam is 410 fwhp...the dyno sheet are in 5.0 if you want to read them. It does make 454 RWHP on 6# if it matters any.

btw he's talkin about a 347 he built and put into his car...bragging rights? 454rwhp with 6 pounds of boost? 

Mark O'Neal: And it won't cost him any more to properly build a 347 than it would a 306. If he wants another hundred or so HP later, all he has to do is change the cam and heads.
Disgust

89 fox coupe, mild 302 HCI
Goody_Seven
Big Block

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 01:49:08 pm »

hmmmm mark o'neal eh? interesting information from him....

Mark O'Neal: And the last one we put together with stock heads made 330 HP and about the same in torque.

stock headed 347 stroker put down 330? Wonder, Ponder

Mark O'neal: An the increase in driveability of the car with the 347 instead of the 302 is immense...even with stock heads.

oh really? Hmmmmm

Mark O'neal: 410 n/a, 454 rwhp on 6# of boost. I don't like chassis dynos...I don't really care what the converter and exhaust system are doing.

9.0:1 crappy head and an OTS cam is 410 fwhp...the dyno sheet are in 5.0 if you want to read them. It does make 454 RWHP on 6# if it matters any.

btw he's talkin about a 347 he built and put into his car...bragging rights? 454rwhp with 6 pounds of boost?  

Mark O'Neal: And it won't cost him any more to properly build a 347 than it would a 306. If he wants another hundred or so HP later, all he has to do is change the cam and heads.
Disgust

Ok, I'll bite, I don't find anything wrong with anything you quoted?

1. He never said "put down" so who knows how it was dyno'd (GT40s are stock heads?)
2. True
3. Auto and no mention of heads, so...?
4. Not sure the context, but I bet someone was going to buy crank and rods for a 306.
scott201
Burger King
Small Block

Guess who this is???? It's Jennifer Aniston. Hot

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2011, 04:52:10 pm »

Is that 12 or so balancing holes he put in there?       Might have been easier to go internal?

No kiddin'...I don't know much about balancing (enough to know it's important for some engines) but man....it seemed like after 2 holes drilled I would be skeptical that my machine was accurate.  But I suppose this is normal and obviously they know what they're doing.  Just curious.

The vid rocked.  Just stumbled onto this part of the forum so sorry if I opened up an old thread. 

I know you can do your own weighing of pistons and such at home or yourself but has anyone done this with success?  Would you mind sharing what is needed or involved and the process?  In other words, do you need to buy a $1000 scale to do it or can you do it with a simple scale that is $50?  How do you weigh, what do you look for and where do you grind metal off?  Do you weigh everything first and go with the lowest weighted rod to match the rest of the rods to that one?  (Assuming so because obviously you wouldn't be adding weight to the rod and just grinding it away) 

I saw them weigh the rod and piston pin but then I'll admit I was a little surprised that they went so far as to weigh the bearing.  Not that it probably shouldn't be done but just didn't know it would have enough of an effect on the whole assembly.  It makes sense just didn't think it would be taken that far. 

So question:  If you were going to try to weigh out your rods, pistons, bearings, and etc. yourself, what is the process and is there a certain thing you need to look for when deciding how much to take away from the rods?  I saw what they ground off on the rod (it looked like they ground off some of the side of the arm or shaft part toward the rod bearing end) but I thought you were supposed to ground off some of the weight from the end of the bearing cap?  Did I miss something here?  If you were to take away some weight to the bearing, what part would you grind off for that?  What about the piston pin? 

Anyone do this themselves?
woody
FordStrokers.com-SBFTech.com Owner
Administrator
Big Block

Old School

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011, 08:32:11 pm »

To make a lng story short, you can weigh pistons, rings, bearings, pins, big and and small end of the rods, but you still need a 30k dollar crank balancer, so balancing at home is not possible.

331-347 Short Blocks 2099.00 and up
408-418-427 Short Blocks (F4 Roller Blocks Standard) 2399.99 and up
Dart Shorts 4199.00+
D.I.Y Shortblocks 1799.00

FordStrokers.com

Make sure you get your information from the internet gurus that haven't built SHIT, they did sleep at Holiday Inn last night, and we have a few of those gurus right here on this forum. Smiley
fast88
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 08:56:56 pm »

To make a lng story short, you can weigh pistons, rings, bearings, pins, big and and small end of the rods, but you still need a 30k dollar crank balancer, so balancing at home is not possible.

hehe.....pretty much.

You cant forget the drill press, heavy metal, welder......being able to make a perfect press fit......not to mention the balancing software.

Just because you can explain out the basics of brain surgery doesnt quite mean you can do it Grin
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: