Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 19, 2018, 01:58:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Director PLEASE!!!!
Add your location information to your personal profile. Thanx!
435246 Posts in 37263 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots Cylinder Heads
| | |-+ My 'good deal' head story
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My 'good deal' head story  (Read 15391 times)
Goody_Seven
Big Block

« on: April 14, 2010, 10:32:09 pm »

I am just going to share this for those that are always looking for the good deal instead of just buying the correct part from the correct place.

A local guy I know sold me some AFR205s for $1200, fresh from the machine shop where he had two valves replaced from a failed retainer.  They fixed the guides and put new springs and hardware on and said everything was great.  $1200 for ready to run AFR205s is a smokin deal!  Well I wanted to know what the spring specs were because he didn't remember the part number they installed.  Springs had 103lbs on the seat and open was in the really low 300s.  Not good for me, so I told the machine shop I wanted a spring around 140-150 seat and 400ish open.  They set me up with some Comp 953-16 installed at 1.920 (140lbs on the seat, 400 open).  Also had them milled to 58cc, spent $625 that day, so I have $1825 used AFR205s.  Deal is not so great now.  Got them home and had to helicoil 5 valve cover bolts and 1 intake bolt.  Ran them like this for about 700 miles.  Had a small oil leak from my intake rear rail, so I pulled the intake to seal it back up.

I noticed this while I was checking things out.  In the repaired cylinder:

Great, off come the heads and back to the machine shop.  I went to a better quality machine shop this time because in the 700 miles the car ran, I found SBFtech and learned I was not operating my springs in the correct operation height.  I was running .270 above coil bind, and it seems the machine shop was not aware of this 'happy zone' either, so no return customer from me.  Quality shop pulls them apart and finds the guides are loose and moving.  Pushed them out to find they are upside down and knurled and glued to keep them in and the valve job was shit:

Another issue was the repaired guides were a straight .500 guide, all the other cylinders had a .560 top with a .500 down the hole.  Those two guides obviously had a different valve seal than the rest, and my spring seats had .030 gap all the way around from touching the guide, so in theory the seat could move around.  The machine shop had to machine a new, one off guide because the hole was no longer .500 and another option didn't exist (affordable one anyway).  I bought new springs and Ti hardware to be correct this time, I had the broken bottom of the guide casting welded and re shaped.  All in all I got out of there for $1100 this time.  So now I have $2925 used AFR205s, the deal is getting worse!  I also had to buy new headgaskets and fluids to do it all again so you could argue in another $200 I didn't need to spend.

So lets see, I have $3125 into a set of nothing fancy AFR205s with Ti retainers?  I could have bought 2 sets of TW FAC190s from Jay and had superior hardware to what I have now.  
Moral:  Just buy the correct quality stuff once, and don't waste time and money on those damn 'Good Deals.'  How much farther ahead I would be now if I spent $1600 on some FACs and $1525 on whatever other parts I wanted, instead of this "GOOD DEAL"!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 11:28:40 pm by Joel5.0 » Logged
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 10:47:24 pm »

My Bad..... but this is something that needs to be a sticky here. I'm sorry to read the result from that "good deal", but Thanx! for sharing that reality check type of experience.

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
Outlaw Bill
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 10:52:39 pm »

Now you know why buying used heads is a crap shoot.

www.TeamZmotorsports.net

TeamZmotorsports 25.2 outlaw drag radial stock suspension 1991 Mustang
Thank You to the following for their help
TeamZmotorsports
Marcella Manifolds
Schoneck Composite
Ultimate Converter Concepts

"Stupid is as stupid does", "You can't fix stupid"
"Common sense is not common"
93mustank
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 11:03:31 pm »

Im at 50/50 .... Cant loose when they come from t.e.a.

I have bought some stuff where you open the box up and you say wtf!
Nuts
4 Banger

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 06:37:59 pm »

Dude sorry to hear..That stinks
frop
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 10:05:01 am »

Why couldn't they do a .530 guide or similar?

Nik P
Marlin
Small Block

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 05:08:56 am »

After my GT40 experience I will never buy used heads again. What a crapshoot.

In my case I bought them from a trusted guy. The problem was he bought them used and had no idea how to tell a good set from a bad set.

Of course I didn't either. Now I know if they aren't NIB they just consider them bad and price them accordingly.

Marlin

1993 Orange GT
Nitro
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 09:03:21 pm »

damn that sucks

92 Ranger  Sold

99 Mustang GT
4.6L,5 Speed,3.73 gears, bone stock. Not for long.
bbfstanger
6 Banger

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 10:03:00 pm »

sorry to hear, but did you not even look at them or have any idea what you were buying? you got them local.

i had bad luck once buying a set of tw heads sight unseen from out of state,but atleast they were easily fixed for a few hundred bucks! flowed 25+ cfm better than ootb  my $900 good deal turned $1200 but had upgraded ferrea valves and solid roller springs ,ti ret. etc. sold em for $1000

bought a pair of cnc'd canfield's off a guy local so i looked at them before i bought them, $500 plus some car stereo stuff  i had little invested in.
turns out they are the very same ones on this sight if you do a search on canfields, just needed a fresh valvejob and the springcups turned down to be right ,they flowed 325-233 cfm. total $750 these also had 2.08 1.60vlvs  s.r. springs and ti ret.

guess im a cheap ass and will never buy new heads, there are lots of good deals out there you just need to have them cked or know what your looking at.
goober
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 04:21:59 am »

I remember that whole out-of-state head ordeal. Some people.
rcfreek59
Big Block

Godspeed John, you will always be remembered.

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 10:02:07 am »

Hey Guys: It would be nice if this could be bookmarked someway so that all of the guys that get on and ask about procomp and other crap heads can read this first. This is a real lesson learner and I thank you for the post. I have been in this positon with items purchased in the past and you cant always check stuff out. What about if you see something at a swap meet. You either buy it with a real good visual inspection or it is gone. It would be nice to just go to the stores and buy all new stuff but not all can afford and we have to rely on the word of others. I would suggest doing what I do and if I am in the market for something I research it as much as possible to learn all I can to keep from getting taken. But it does not always work and you will get bit at times.
Good Luck
John

Your stay here was short, but it will NEVER be Forgotten!
Thank you for your lessons, which you never knew you were giving...... but many DO appreciate and value them. God Bless You!
69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 11:55:56 am »

Exactly.  I don't EVER put anything used on my Merc.  I've learned the hard way that lesson about saving the money to buy a new part is the much better route to go!

Robert's 1969 Mercury Montego (FordStrokers 408W, QFT 850cfm RQ-AN, Super Victor, 1" aluminum open spacer, CamMotion HR .624"/.609" 251*/256* 108* LSA, 1-3/4"x3-1/2" headers, Dynomax Ultra #17224 mufflers, C6/4R100 trans, 8"/9" 5500 converter, Broader Performance manual V/B, 9" 4.56 Detroit Truetrac, Hoosier Pro Street 31x12.5R15 on 10" rims)

The Merc started here = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,27178.0.html  Now = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,34648.0.html

Thanks to Jim "Woody" and Nicole Woods @ FordStrokers 408W, Westminster Performance Transmission (W.P.T.) transmissions, TCS Performance converters, Broader Performance valvebodies and last but not least a BIG thanks (always) to my friends here and abroad in the World!
Jay Allen
Camshaft Innovations
Banned Member
Big Block

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 03:55:02 pm »

they flowed 325-233 cfm

What series of Canfields?

Jay Allen
CAMSHAFT INNOVATIONS

www.camshaftinnovations.com

Whatever It Takes !!!

UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, ALL PM's ARE TURNED OFF.  I AM NOT IGNORING ANYONE, E-MAIL ME IF YOU NEED SOMETHING.
Goody_Seven
Big Block

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 10:55:16 pm »

sorry to hear, but did you not even look at them or have any idea what you were buying? you got them local.

I looked, but they were not cracked then.  I didn't notice the guide sizing either, the machine shop on the other hand took them apart should have seen it?  What can you do?
bbfstanger
6 Banger

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 11:45:36 pm »

they flowed 325-233 cfm

What series of Canfields?
20-450-58-1
they are fully cnc'd by who knows?

its a shame when you cant trust your local machine shop,hope you have better luck in the future.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: