Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2018, 11:51:43 am

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435277 Posts in 37275 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Transmissions/Differentials
| | |-+ What ATF for C4
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What ATF for C4  (Read 7778 times)
jucaan
Small Block

« on: March 15, 2010, 12:33:27 pm »

What ATF you guys recommend?  This is a C4 with a 3800 stall that will be driven to the racetrack only.

Thanks for your comments.

89LX Stock short block, Trickflow 170 TWS, Performer RPM, Pro Systems 730dp, shorty headers and O/R H Pipe, C4 3800 stall and 4.10 rear end.

Soon will test at Englishtown.
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 01:39:42 pm »

I use the universal tractor fluid(wet brake type) mixed with a couple quarts of Type F. John Deere Hyguard or equivalent. Some are offered in both high and low viscosity's, but either will work. 

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
jucaan
Small Block

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 01:59:02 pm »

Thanks.  I neve heard that one. 

89LX Stock short block, Trickflow 170 TWS, Performer RPM, Pro Systems 730dp, shorty headers and O/R H Pipe, C4 3800 stall and 4.10 rear end.

81Mudder
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 11:03:09 pm »

i used type f in my trans, heard it was the best idk. never heard of using basically hydraulic fluid im confused why???

Don W.

1967 mustang drag project 1/8 mile car
393w, c4 trans reverse manual valve body, coan 4500 tc, 9 inch rear end 4.88 gear, cal-trac's with adjustable shocks, tinman subframe connectors.
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 11:17:18 pm »

Think of it as Type F on steroids. It doesn't have any of the friction modifiers to make your transmission shift smooth(slip!). Its also what was recommended  by my trans guy and converter company.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 09:39:47 pm by juiced coupe » Logged

Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
joey11
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 09:36:11 am »

i noticed that when i switched from dextron to hy-tran ultra that the trans shifted much harder when i was full throttle. it runs cooler too, lenny suggested i use it to keep my temps down

1987 lx
old 306,stock bottom end(RIP!!!)
NEW SETUP / 331 with scat chp kit, tw 205's, FTI TLSR, super victor, c4 w/brake,ucc 5300 stall, 4:10's,pro-systems carb. 
times TBD.......
ShieldsMustang
Small Block

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 02:22:08 pm »

I use Lucas Semi-Synthetic. Dropped my fluid temps ~20* from Type F.

1980 Mustang HB, 8.2"-based 363
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 06:21:09 pm »

I used to run a mixture of b&m trick shift and type F when I had a c4

425" pump gas 6.2@110
jucaan
Small Block

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 03:24:12 pm »

Thanks for all the info guys.   I only drive the car to the racetrack and back, however temps is a concern during the summer with a 3800 stall and 4.10s.

The ATF with steroids sounds good.

BigTang
Small Block

I think I need a bigger hammer

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 09:14:15 pm »

For you guys running the Deere fluid, what's the life span on that stuff? Would you change it the same as you would type F or does it need more frequent attention?

Are there any modifications to the trans that need to be taken into account when you do this?

Sorry for bringing back and old post but I was about to start an entirely new thread w/ the same basic question.

I'm about to drop the pan and put a manual valve body w/ a brake in my C4 so now would be the time for me to figure out what juice to put in it.

Thanks

-Carey
1990 5.0 LX Slush boxed and giggle gassed and still on jackstands.
joey11
Big Block

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 09:43:06 pm »

FWIW, i use the case hy-tran because it was local to me and it was recommended by Lenny to "tighten" my converter and drop the temps down as well. as far as changing it more frequently, i have done 1 change after the trans was rebuilt by PA and they said no need to change more frequently than type F or Dextron. i change it with every motor oil change.

1987 lx
old 306,stock bottom end(RIP!!!)
NEW SETUP / 331 with scat chp kit, tw 205's, FTI TLSR, super victor, c4 w/brake,ucc 5300 stall, 4:10's,pro-systems carb. 
times TBD.......
Whitey
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 08:12:31 pm »

I would run the Amzoil 20 weight compressor oil. This is what I run and recomend my customers to run. The Hygaurd oil will tighten up the converter about 200 to 300 rpm. This has been my experience with it , but is good stuff .

Whitey
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 09:22:18 pm »

For you guys running the Deere fluid, what's the life span on that stuff? Would you change it the same as you would type F or does it need more frequent attention?

Are there any modifications to the trans that need to be taken into account when you do this?

1- I look at the condition (and smell) of the fluid, same as any other. I normally break something or make changes before the fluid goes bad.

2- Hy Guard is avaliable in 2 viscositys. If you use the thicker one, be sure to use a screen type filter.

I would run the Amzoil 20 weight compressor oil. This is what I run and recomend my customers to run. The Hygaurd oil will tighten up the converter about 200 to 300 rpm. This has been my experience with it , but is good stuff .

I have also heard good things about the compressor oil, but have never used it. Its true that the thicker Hy Guard will tighten the converter up (currently using it), but I hear the thinner fluid doesn't. I'm going to find out shortly.

From the information I have found, Trick Shift is nothing more than a high quality Type F. It just has blue dye instead of red.

I honestly don't get it.

Whitey
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 04:21:11 pm »

Yes it is true that the Hygaurd will tighten up the converter. Good Luck!

Whitey
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 11:48:09 pm »

1- I look at the condition (and smell) of the fluid, same as any other. I normally break something or make changes before the fluid goes bad.

2- Hy Guard is avaliable in 2 viscositys. If you use the thicker one, be sure to use a screen type filter.

I have also heard good things about the compressor oil, but have never used it. Its true that the thicker Hy Guard will tighten the converter up (currently using it), but I hear the thinner fluid doesn't. I'm going to find out shortly.

From the information I have found, Trick Shift is nothing more than a high quality Type F. It just has blue dye instead of red.

I dont doubt that, thats what was recomended to me by a tranny builder at the time so thats what I did LOL; oh well...

425" pump gas 6.2@110
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: