Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2020, 03:57:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
435298 Posts in 37290 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Forced Induction
| | |-+ Turbos
| | | |-+ Budget stock block turbo build
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Budget stock block turbo build  (Read 63587 times)
tree89notch
6 Banger

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 10:55:41 am »

Well.....I just talked to my buddy who is gonna sell me his stock long block, which already has cometic head gaskets and ARP head studs for cheap!

He went 10.50's all day with a 76mm turbo at 13 psi and a blow through setup.......Then I can build the turbo motor I want on the side.

Thanks again for all the helpful info.      Thanx!
tree89notch
6 Banger

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 12:07:52 am »

One more thing.......since I have decided to use a stock long block, will it benefit me to put an aftermarket cam in it (like an F cam), or just 1.7 rockers and stock cam as stated earlier.

I already have some pro form 1.6 rockers laying around.
mighty mouse
"Prom King Mista Nathan Moonen"
Administrator
Big Block

I'll be the Judge of that

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 09:03:07 am »

One more thing.......since I have decided to use a stock long block, will it benefit me to put an aftermarket cam in it (like an F cam), or just 1.7 rockers and stock cam as stated earlier.

Its not worth it.

1. An F cam is a POS camshaft.
2. Even if it is only a couple hundred bucks... save the money for the right parts on your build.
3. The gains over a stock cam on a stock longblock with a turbo would be minimal...
4. Its never just the cam.  Its springs, locks and retainers as well.  You BETTER degree it.  Now the lifters are subpar for the new springs... blah, blah, blah.

1986 Mustang GT Convertible
Suspension and Differential by Team Z Motorsports
9.5 Deck Forged Stroker Shortblock by FordStrokers
Trick Flow High Ports and Super Vic EFI intake by Duane Busch

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
tree89notch
6 Banger

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 01:01:10 pm »

Its not worth it.

1. An F cam is a POS camshaft.
2. Even if it is only a couple hundred bucks... save the money for the right parts on your build.
3. The gains over a stock cam on a stock longblock with a turbo would be minimal...
4. Its never just the cam.  Its springs, locks and retainers as well.  You BETTER degree it.  Now the lifters are subpar for the new springs... blah, blah, blah.

Ok, so just use 1.7 rockers on the stock heads. I have all the time in the world, should I port the heads or is it a waste of time, just run it like it is.......stock.........more boost.
Just trying to do everything I NEED to while the engine is out of the car.
Brent Clay
Big Block

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 03:18:21 pm »

Ok, so just use 1.7 rockers on the stock heads. I have all the time in the world, should I port the heads or is it a waste of time, just run it like it is.......stock.........more boost.
[/quote]

Grind out the exhaust bumb on the heads and pocket port them... otherwise u could possible make them flow worse than they already are.... You should notice an improvement by doing so....So if you have the time????.....go for it!

There are many places on-line that can show you how to port your own e-7 heads.... there is probably something on here, where Thumper talked about what you can do to port your own heads.

Good Luck!
tree89notch
6 Banger

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 04:41:07 pm »

Grind out the exhaust bumb on the heads and pocket port them... otherwise u could possible make them flow worse than they already are.... You should notice an improvement by doing so....So if you have the time????.....go for it!

There are many places on-line that can show you how to port your own e-7 heads.... there is probably something on here, where Thumper talked about what you can do to port your own heads.

Good Luck!
[/quote]

Thanks man, maybe I'll give it a shot.     Hmmmmm
tree89notch
6 Banger

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 10:14:42 pm »

Ok, put an F303 cam in w/ the #1 piston at top dead center and lined up the dots on the timing chain, I was told by some trustworthy people that I would be ok as they have done the same many times before.
Bolted the stock heads on w/ Cometic MLS gaskets and torqued them down to specs.
I was told that I would be ok w/ piston to valve clearance, as for pushrods, should I check the length or just go w/ the stock length(6.25) because of stock heads. I have a good set of 6.25 pushrods laying around.
Any help is appreciated.
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2010, 11:30:28 pm »

Ok, put an F303 cam in w/ the #1 piston at top dead center and lined up the dots on the timing chain, I was told by some trustworthy people that I would be ok as they have done the same many times before.
Bolted the stock heads on w/ Cometic MLS gaskets and torqued them down to specs.
I was told that I would be ok w/ piston to valve clearance, as for pushrods, should I check the length or just go w/ the stock length(6.25) because of stock heads. I have a good set of 6.25 pushrods laying around.
Any help is appreciated.

I would've lightly cleaned up the ports on the stock heads, but thats me...

as far as PTV clearance- MEASURE!; since you already bolted the heads down with your new gaskets, install check springs on one cylinder and measure with a dial indicator; near TDC is where you need to worry

as far as pushrods, again- MEASURE; and make sure your lifter preload is correct(shimming etc.)

425" pump gas 6.2@110
onebad90lx
Small Block

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2010, 11:40:27 pm »

I ran a stock 16,000 mile motor and a 60mm turbo 15#'s boost, it was pretty nasty, just switched the the combo  to another car, just make sure you have enough fuel! I blew a head gasket with mine with to much timming, I studded and used a 9333, now you have better gaskets, so if its not tuned and you run out of fuel, your gonna have a big problem and maybe melt a piston instead.
jtmustang
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2010, 11:41:45 pm »

Any help is appreciated.

WTF...dude this is how shit breaks..or worse..u need to check and measure shit or else....KABOOM...or.. Whistling
ChuckD
6 Banger

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 06:12:45 am »

3. Girdles are a waste of time and money on a 302.

Could you explain why?

1988 LX
1997 F350 Powerstroke
2002 Expedition
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 08:02:14 am »

Could you explain why?

same question  Hmmmmm

also-
A why isnt head flow important on a turbo setup?
B why is displacement important on a turbo setup?

seems like these two items are as ass backwards as can be the way it was previously stated

425" pump gas 6.2@110
mighty mouse
"Prom King Mista Nathan Moonen"
Administrator
Big Block

I'll be the Judge of that

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2010, 10:17:24 am »

Could you explain why?

same question  Hmmmmm

also-

seems like these two items are as ass backwards as can be the way it was previously stated

Where was any of A and B stated?

As far as girdles on a 302... its my opinion.  But an opinion based on experience and knowledge gained from other people much more steeped in the relm of making a stock block live than I.   There is loads of this information supplied by quite a few members, myself included, on this site already.  A simple search would turn it up...

1986 Mustang GT Convertible
Suspension and Differential by Team Z Motorsports
9.5 Deck Forged Stroker Shortblock by FordStrokers
Trick Flow High Ports and Super Vic EFI intake by Duane Busch

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
ChuckD
6 Banger

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2010, 01:01:39 pm »

Could you explain why?

same question  Hmmmmm

also-

Where was any of A and B stated?

As far as girdles on a 302... its my opinion.  But an opinion based on experience and knowledge gained from other people much more steeped in the relm of making a stock block live than I.   There is loads of this information supplied by quite a few members, myself included, on this site already.  A simple search would turn it up...

I am a diesel guy and on the 7.3 if you start making horsepower in the 450+ range you need one or you will split the block. No you cant prevent an engine letting if there is a stress somewhere but doing measures to help it not to is a good choice.

1988 LX
1997 F350 Powerstroke
2002 Expedition
fidstang
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2010, 01:13:44 pm »

I'm going to add that if you plan on pushing it to the limits with the stock block. You might just want to stay with the stock heads and cam from a HO engine or Explorer. This way if something happens and your lower end lets go, you won't have to spend any money to fix the heads you just bought if they get hurt.
Just my .02

I've seen stock HO engines on 16psi and they make a shit load of torque. Definitely fun street cars and run in the low 11's easily.

Spend time with your family to, not just your car.

"The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher states. The great teacher inspires."-- William Author Ward
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: