Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2019, 05:49:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435293 Posts in 37285 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Forced Induction
| | |-+ Turbos
| | | |-+ Variable Geometry Turbos
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Variable Geometry Turbos  (Read 5740 times)
Kaoz78z78
Stroked Small Block

« on: November 21, 2006, 11:31:45 pm »

Has anyone but me even heard of these things?Anyone know of any company making a stand alone controller for these? I watched some show this weekend with Gale Banks. He was bolting a Hybrid Banks/Garret Turbo on a Dodge Cummins. The damn thing had vanes that could be moved inside to reduce lag. Neat stuff.

8950lx
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 12:54:26 am »

yep... same thing the new Porsche 911 Turbos have. I think it's pretty cool. I didn't know there was anyone making those for buying OTS... they're kind of new technology. Soon it'd be like the ball bearing turbos, everyone's gotta have one.

1988 Mustang LX Coupe former 4 banger:

306 CID, F303, 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF,  Comp Cams Box upper and Cobra lower, 24# injectors, Mac 1 5/8" Shorty Headers, 2.5" H pipe, Spin-Tech Pro Streets(dumps), 3.73 Gears, Cobra front brakes with '95 GT lower control arms, '95 GT rear disc brakes.
Kaoz78z78
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 02:16:49 am »

Well the trick will be getting a somewhat generic controller that can be used alone. Even the Banks unit required the use of their 6 Gun Bundle.

They said the Powerstroke and Duramax already came factory with a VG Turbo.

95GTspeeddemon
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 06:21:39 pm »

the 6.0 and 6.4L diesels have the variable vains...pretty cool.

95gt, stock forged 302 shirtblock, canfield 195's, canfield efi intake; efi sheetmetal elbow, xe258 (208/216 .550), 90mm accufab TB, 69mm gt45, 3in cold side, a/a intercooler, water injection, ba5000 maf, 80lb injectors, moates quarterhorse, stock manifold modified & a log manifold, twin 2in up pipes, 60mm wg, 3.5 dp dumped, 14psi, 3.27s, solid bushing rear upper/lower team z suspension, team z tubular k member and A arms, front coil overs with strange 10 way all the way around. TKO600, stock flywheel, ram replacement pressure plate and kevlar/organic disc. 450rwhp 12.39 @ 123.5mph 3400lbs
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 07:10:21 pm »

I think I read Gayle Banks doing some r and d on these for both diesel and gas engines.
I've noticed diesel power is making huge leaps towards passenger cars here in the states.  Should keep an eye out...  maybe soon you guys will be drag racing against them!

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
vristang
Mr. Coffee
Global Moderator
Big Block

What I look like in a tie...

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 02:54:22 pm »

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to turbos, but I thought the variable vanes were controlled mechanically?

I didn't think they were being controlled electronically???

jason

- jason
Quote from: Albert Einstein
If we knew what we were doing, we wouldn’t call it research, would we?
Quote from: My Grandma
Find a young one, so you can raise her right.
mj88stang
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 09:32:49 pm »

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to turbos, but I thought the variable vanes were controlled mechanically?

I didn't think they were being controlled electronically???

jason
done know about the ford and gm diesel stuff, but i know the dodge/cummins variable turbo is all computer controlled. the turbo is even used as an exhaust brake on the newer dodge's

1988 hatchback, currently a shell
2ton
6 Banger

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 10:57:41 pm »

The Ford Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT) uses a PCM controlled electronic variable vane hydraulic control valve to control intake manifold pressure. The VGT control solenoid, coupled with an oil pressure actuated linear actuator, control the turbocharger vane positions. Changes in vane position increase or decrease exhaust flow and velocity to the turbine dependant upon engine demand.

The turbo has a set of moveable vanes in the turbine housing that change the flow of the exhaust  through the turbo. These vanes are internal to the turbine housing and are mounted around the outside circumference of the housing. Changing vane position either restricts or increases the amount of exhaust gases allowed into the turbine housing. Each individual vane has a tab on it that attaches to a ring linking all the vanes together. When the ring is moved, all of the vanes move a corresponding amount. A linear actuator attaches to the ring. Actuator position is changed by varying the amount of pressurized engine oil applied to either side of the actuator. The flow and placement of the oil is controlled by the VGT solenoid which is in turn controlled by the PCM.

The VGT solenoid is a pulse width modulated (PWM) solenoid. Increasing the current duty cycle to the VGT solenoid increases boost. The solenoid routes oil to one side of the linear actuator forcing the actuator to move, which in turn moves the ring linking the vanes. The vanes move to an open position allowing more exhaust gases into the turbine housing. More exhaust flow increases turbine speed with a resultant increase in boost. The converse is also true. When the current duty cycle is decreased, boost levels also decrease.

The PCM monitors a variety of sensors to determine how to duty cycle the VGT solenoid. In closed loop, the PCM uses exhaust backpressure, manifold and barometric pressures, accelerator pedal position, and engine RPM and calculated load for turbo control. Changes in parameters for each of these sensors will result in a variation in VGT duty cycle. Higher load demands more duty cycle. This is how the PCM controls the turbo boost to match engine load and requirements.

I think it would be possible to manually control the turbo, and devised a couple of different scenarios to do it. Here's the problem though. These turbos do lag, sometimes significantly. Given that lag is a characteristic of these (and all) turbos, I don't know that it would be worth the effort to retrofit one to a different application. Hope the explanation makes sense.

Gotta Hot Rod Ford...
www.roadkillracing.com
Turbo50
4 Banger

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 07:37:40 pm »

ATS has a divided housing and a valve that regulates exhaust flow into the impeller sides (big housing acts small down low and big up top).

This is a diesel product but would be neat on a gas engine also.

Single Turbo 5.0
mj88stang
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 07:45:12 pm »

the dodge variable turbo has very little lag, especially due to the variable design

1988 hatchback, currently a shell
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: